Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2014 12:00

(redirected) Hard Drive Warranty Question

Hello,

New to the forum here, but I need some clarification from a Dell rep on this forum.  

I recently purchased a new 2 in 1 Inspiron 13 7347 and I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to a SSD.  The sales rep at Microcenter told me to verify if it would void the warranty before installing, so I called the help line.  I was told that if I bought the SSD from Dell, and installed it myself (there are published instructions for this on this website) it wouldn't void the warranty.  If I did install a SSD not purchased from Dell, it would void the warranty on the entire computer.  This didn't make sense to me, so I ended up talking to a customer service person in the sales department who told me the same thing and quoted an equivalent drive for a whopping $390 (3x what I paid).

I did some searching here and found this post from a couple years ago which uses some common sense that whatever you replace is not covered:

[View:en.community.dell.com/.../19435880:550:0]

Can someone with Dell please clarify this?  I understand that if I replace the drive, and the drive fails, it is my responsibility.  But, I don't understand how replacing the hard drive would void the warranty on the remaining parts of the computer (ie the touchscreen).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 31st, 2014 12:00

Best to post this thread in the Customer Care Forum, here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/f/4674.aspx

Bev.

No Events found!