Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 16th, 2009 19:00

upsized HD, but WinXP still sees old one

Hi, Inspiron 600M here.  I recently replaced my 40GB HD with a 160 by imaging the old one with Macrium Reflect and uploading that to the new. A few minor glitches, had to run chkdsk to get the machine to boot, but now its working fine. However, when I checked c: properties it says I still have the 40GB. I'm just worried that I won't be able to fit any more on the disk because it thinks it's nearly full.

Suggestions? TIA

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2009 13:00

It is possible that your imaging software (I'm not familiar with it) created a 40GB partition when restoring the image to your new hard drive, so the remaining space would be unallocated. You could check in disk management to see if there is unallocated space on the drive.

To get to diskmanagement right clicik My computer, click manage. Or: click start, run, type compmgmt.msc, click OK or press enter.

IIn the Computer management window that opens, if necessary click on the + next to storage to open the tree below it, then click on disk management.

If there is unallocated space, you can either create one or more partitions in Windows (which would then show up later in Windows Explorer as additional 'drives') or you could use a third party app to expand the C partition to fill the disk (I don't think Windows allows you to change (increase) the size of the C partition that contains the OS, but third party apps can do that)..

An alternative, depending on that imaging software: when restoring an image from a smaller to a larger hard drive, there may be an option to increase the size of the partition (to fill the whole new drive if you don't want more than one partition) before the image is restored.

No Events found!