Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2016 21:00

windows 8.1. Inspiron 3531. crucial Bx100 SSD clean install problem

Hello everyone,

I own a Dell Inspiron 15 3531 w/ Intel Pentium N3530 bay trail cpu with windows 8.1 w/ Bing, Bios version a03.

Recently, I have been attempting to install windows 8.1 to a Crucial Bx100 500 GB SSD using both rescue disk on same model spare ssd from Dell Backup and Recovery factory media creation tool and a Dell Windows 8.1 factory usb key. I originally attempted to clone the disk via macrium reflect free and easeus todo backup; both clones were successful...yet oddly failed to boot. With this, I decided I would try a clean install with the media I listed above.

With Dell Backup and Recovery rescue disk: I can successfully boot the disk via usb. I can actually execute the windows restore operation and it goes all the way through, yet upon completion I find not only is windows not on the SSD in the sata port but that an unbootable windows is now on the rescue disk (even tried repairing this install with usb media) and I can no longer use it as a rescue disk.

With Dell Windows 8.1 factory usb key: I get to where windows setup asks where I would like to install windows and it can find the ssd that is in the sata port (eventhough the ssd is shown in bios). The load driver option is there but I don't know 1) if this is actually what it wants 2) which drivers I need 3) where to get them. I was however successful reinstalling windows 8.1 on the original mechanical hard drive.

Before anyone asks, I have tried in both uefi and legacy bios

I became slightly irate when I successfully installed and booted Ubuntu Linux to the same SSD on the first try. I would use this but obv Linux is missing a few desired applications.

to be clear ssd IS recognized in bios and sata is is set (as per default) to ahci.

So what exactly am I missing here? is there some sort of hardware serialization I did not get a memo on with the hard drive that affects dell OEM windows and so I will need a new windows 8.1 key entirely? Or is there some other reason why windows 8.1 setup doesn't recognize the SSD? What other steps should I take?

Thanks in advance,
Kody 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 23rd, 2016 12:00

Use Windows 10 TH2 installation media. Windows 10 TH2 Media will automatically input and accept the Windows 8.1 with Bing OEM product key during installation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

5 Posts

April 24th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for your answer. But I'm afraid this doesnt answer my question entirely. 1) My primary issue is the windows 8.1 installation not recognizing my ssd. 2) I have no use for windows 10. I dont take kindly to MSFT's win 10 spy operation. How can I make windows 8.1 installation recognize my ssd?hank

Thanks, Kody

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 25th, 2016 00:00

You have a Bing Edition which means you are restricted to a factory image and cannot download Windows 8.1 installation media from Microsoft...

If you have no working image... then Windows 10 TH2 is the only way for you to get Windows on your system without paying for it again.

5 Posts

April 25th, 2016 15:00

again , i dont think you read my entire post. why does this not recognize my ssd? even if i use a dummy key or try install from dell backup and recovery my ssd is still not recognized. yet ubuntu has no issue with this. i would actually buy a new win 8.1 key if i knew that my ssd would be recognized. 

#windows10never

5 Posts

April 25th, 2016 21:00

by the way, just tried this and my problem isnt solved . windows 10 installation is still doesnt recognize my ssd and i cant find storage drivers for it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2016 16:00

If you're doing this in UEFI mode, be sure you removed all the existing partitions from the SSD before starting the install -- if the drive is partitioned in MBR mode, a UEFI install will fail.  The SSD needs to be set up in GPT mode.

5 Posts

April 26th, 2016 21:00

i have tried it both ways. gpt and mbr. i have tried cleaning via diskpart leaving space unallocated. i have formatted in gparted (ubuntu linux). regardless, i'm pretty sure if the hard drive was recognized by win 8 (or 10) setup it would have at least shown the mbr disk. i have tried getting F6FLPY drivers  only to find that intel doesnt include them for my SOC ( Pentium N3530 baytrail).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 26th, 2016 23:00

Do you have the original hard drive with a working Windows installation? If so can you reinsert it and update to UEFI BIOS revision A03:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02355362M/1/3531A03.exe

Also try these SATA drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Rapid+Storage+driver

No Events found!