bthessel
2 Bronze

Re: Basic questions un-answered by storage scope?

This seems to be EMC just giving up by removing it from properties. Why is something as simple as a report showing Allocated and Unallocated space so complicated to get? Based on this info the only way to get this info is to go through creating a custom query/report and then having to create some giant explanation for management on what all the different columns mean. I can honestly say this is causing our management to look at other vendors management and reporting products for storage.
0 Kudos
bthessel
2 Bronze

Dentonda,

I think for this you will need to create custom fields import them in to Control Center and then go through and assign all you disks or hosts to one of the custom categories and then you can report on them. I have the and XML template to use for creating custom fields and there is a document in the document library that talks about doing it.

0 Kudos
AnuShivnath
2 Iron

ECC Console and StorageScope have tried to reconcile the Allocated and Unallocated numbers for Clariion for quite some time.   The algorithm StorageScope uses to calculate these numbers is a agreed upon approach in the industry,  and is consistent with the algorithm used for all other arrays including third party.   The ECC Console did not have all the information to arrive at the same values that StorageScope did for these capacity columns; this inconistency generated customer calls. 

The Allocated and Unallocated numbers are readily available in StorageScope as a query.   There is no need to create a custom query to get these numbers.   Pleas use the built-in query  "5.2 Arrays - All Arrays"  in the Query Builder section. 

0 Kudos
bthessel
2 Bronze

"The Allocated and Unallocated numbers are readily available in StorageScope as a query.   There is no need to create a custom query to get these numbers.   Pleas use the built-in query  "5.2 Arrays - All Arrays"  in the Query Builder section. "

This exactly the problem we are all describing here, a lack of clarity. There are 18 columns in that query that return various capacity/utilzation numbers. To get a simple view of our storage I will need to take this information and either import it in to Excel and do a bunch of manipulation on it or build a Crystal report to add up columns, convert them to TB, and import it if I want it to run on a scheduled basis. For me as a storage admin this information detail level is great, giving this query as it sits to a manager along with 20 pages of column explanations is not going to work though. Managers want to be able to see A + B + C = Total,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nfwtnit
1 Copper

Here is the delima from a long term customer, and certainly not islolated to a few.

There is a vacuum in the reporting.  A fairly large "hole" if you will.

Storage Scope is great for EMC engineers, but provides little, if no value "out of the box" information for customers, and business in general.  What we really need out here, is a tool we can use to make business decisions. While I agree with the party line that SS has a huge amount of data it collects, useful data is lost in the "signal to noise ratio".

I will attempt a wish list below.

DMX:

Usable capacity:

I cannot fathom why this is not the first metric to start with.  This needs to be right next to the serial number on the properties of Control Center.  Currently it is "configured", but again, as posted above, configured is not usable (and therefore, again, worthless).  There are other variables.

RAW.  Remove it completely from the tool.  There is absolutely no value to ever mentioning this in any way, shape, or form.  It is a very good number to use if wish to end your career.

*REAL* world example:  Large automobile manufacturer.

Business unit forcasts 100tb need for next year.

Management purchases 100tb in 300g drives.

Storage team provisions 43tb and your out of space.

How much space is remaining?

I have been talking with EMC about this for years, and I think the engineers/product manangers are thinking on a different level than the customer.  The question is very simple, as is the answer (we use excel to figure it out).

When I put a brand new shiny server on the floor, plug it into the switch, how much space is there to allocate to it?

Can use:

Unmapped, unallocated.

Mapped, unallocated, non-timefinder.

Can't use:

Timefinder volumes.

Replication volumes.

In short, anything that already has a purpose cannot be used.

To summarize it at the lowest level possible:

We are Enterprise level customers who need a tool in which we can provide data to management to make solid business decisions.

Storage Scope, in it's current form (in regards to business decisions, Enterprise reporting) can easily be replaced by Excel, symdev list and a calculator..

AnuShivnath
2 Iron

There is a need to have these many capacity columns because of the diversity in the target audience consuming it.   We have raw and usable flavors for each metric.   It is not very complicated to remove the extraneous information from a built in query.

Storagescope has built in  support for "Unit Conversion" in UB5,  removing the necessity for a user to manually convert the capacity numbers.

0 Kudos
bthessel
2 Bronze

nfwtnit, Couldn't have said it better myself. My problem with doing it manually is that the managers would like it as a scheduled report twice a week so they have the information at hand if a business area asks without having to come to me and stop me from getting other work done.
nfwtnit
1 Copper

In an effort to get this thread closed out (i'm now on year two of trying for this answer), maybe we, as the customers, can show EMC how to get the the basic numbers required to generate reports and perhaps they can release some query or create a tool that will jive.  There are, of course, several variables, but we'll start with the easiest and work our way up.  I'm going to offer suggestion on how to get the numbers, please, I'm begging, jump in and correct me if I'm off.

Specific to the DMX platforms:

How much usable capacity did I buy (post BIN):

Record the following numbers from Control Center:

Configured Capacity (Control Center properties tab).

Mapped allocated/possibly allocated (Control Center properties tab, export to excel then you can filter for the next two).

Mapped unallocated BCV/RDF

Mapped unallocated regular (non replicated).

Unmapped Regular (Again, Control Center properties tab, export to excel and filter.

Unmapped Replicated.

System devices. (Control Center properties tab, add them up).

So, here is the math:

Usable = (configured) - (system devices)

Allocated = (mapped allocated/Possibly allocated) + (Mapped unallocated BCV/RDF)+(unmapped replicated)

Available = (unmapped regular)+(mapped unallocated regular)

Assumptions and gotchas

You don't make a BCV unless you are using a BCV (this will show as allocated space).

When you export the sheet use the smaller view (not symmetrix devices to avoid double counts by FA).

Watch your meta's and hypers on the output.  You can filter for Meta = N/A and drag all the hypers over so you can calculate with one column.

I take unconfigured (theoritically you can use this space, but more than likely, you never will due to lack of splits) system devices, and spares and throw it into "overhead".

Delete all gatekeepers (they are lost in a rounding error if your using TB unless you have mad amounts).

For percentage allocated, allocated / usable.

For percentage available, available / usable.

The reason I do these last two sperately, is I can check my work.  Since the percentages are calculated seperately, and usable almost never changes, if they don't add up to 100%, you'll know you went wrong.

I've got this down to where i can do 6 DMX's in about 1 1/2 hours.

AnuShivnath
2 Iron

Thanks for your input.   Can you please define the term allocated and if the definition holds good both in a Symmetrix and a Clariion world?

0 Kudos
nfwtnit
1 Copper

I must always keep in mind my audience for reports who look at it in business terms, CTO, CFO and Storage manager.  Storage Admins do not run reports for storage admins.  There are three numbers that are critical for planning, staffing, floor space, power, HVAC and budgeting.  If you can visualize a brand new server sitting on the floor next to your brand new frame.

Overhead: Space that customer cannot use.  Systems devices, spares, etc..

Usable capacity: How much total disk space can I allocate to a host, appliance, or function.  This would NOT include hot spares, system devices, etc.

Example: When the CTO of the company says, "How much storage is currently on the floor?"  This is the number he needs.  He cares not about system devices.

Allocated: How much space in my frame is used by a host, appliance, or function. This is space that cannot be allocated to a new host.

When the CTO asks, "How much space are we using up?" This would be his number.

Available: How much space in my frame can be allocated to the new host, appliance, or function.

CTO, CFO, Storage Manager.  "How much space can I use for upcoming projects so I can decide how much more we have to purchase."

Allocated and Availble add up to equal usable capacity.

You had asked for definitions that apply to both the DMX and the Clariion.  Given that the above definitions are not platform (or vendor) specific, I'm not sure the question applies.  I think what we are looking for from the smart folks is how to get those three numbers.

Again, Storage administrators do not run reports for other storage administrators.  Keep in mind the audience.

0 Kudos