Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2010 06:00

Having reporting issues with ECC 6.1

Over the past year I have seen a downward trend in Used accessible data while I have been adding servers, storage and luns.

I would like to know how ECC polls this particular field. The report I run is a monthly Arrays report. All of the other fields are in line. I would assume by adding more servers and luns my Used Allocated would also increase. Our based up data has grown 47% and according to my last year of trending with ECC, our Used Accessible data field has shrunk by 43%.

Is this field pulled from the attached host? Should all of my servers being reported against in ECC have the Master agent and appropriate host agent installed? I have also migrated a lot of data to a Celerra ~8TB, will this be polled as well?

I have concerns that my reporting is not accurate.

As a quick example, one of my XC-380's shows 4.5TB used accessible and one of my NAS gateways has 6TB used on that array so my trending is way off!

Any insight would he great...

59 Posts

When array is used by file system or raw database, we mark it as being used. So Used Accessible for array is the sum of following capacities:

File system total

Raw DB total

VMFS total

RDM/Raw total

Only when you create more file systems or raw db on array, the used capacity will increase. Please make sure you have host agent or ESX agent for those servers because only those agents can discover the capacities.

I'm going to take a guess on what's going on.  StorageScope's array accesible calculations only take into account storage provisioned to hosts (including ESX servers I believe).  So, any storage provisioned directly to a NAS gateway will not be counted in that metric.  I'm not sure if allocated capacity includes NAS.  I believe the reason for this is that StorageScope uses information based on discovering the host HBA details to determine that the host can actually use the storage without any configuration changes which is one of the main differentiators between the accessible and allocated capacity values.

I hope that makes sense.

No Events found!