Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2017 07:00

Montoring VDI solution with non-persistant desktops with SRM

We have added a VDI solution to Vipr SRM and it started collecting data on each of the VDIs. The problem with that is that the non-persistent VDI get deleted and rebuilt every time someone logs off. So, from SRMs's point of view this is a new VM, and the old one has become inactive. I opened a case with EMC when I noticed some errors and slow downs and missing data. They found that each of the DB in SRM had 3+ million inactive entries. It took days to clean that out.

We are looking for solutions to monitor VDI solutions. We are willing to sacrifice the data on the VM, but would really like the data for the ESX and the storage for planning purposes.

If you have a solution for monitoring VDI can you please share the detail of how to do that?

120 Posts

August 16th, 2017 08:00

Hello jb555:

I am not sure what you mean by VDI. Do you mean that you are constantly adding and deleting vm's? If this is the case, then the collector will pick them up and the deleted hosts will go inactive after 14 days and deleted in a year. You could adjust the polling but i am not sure if that is going to help you much if you are constanly adding and delting vm's.

If this is not what you mean, caould you provide an example? if you have a speicifc SR number you could provide that or messeange me and I can take a look at that.

Thanks

Tim

141 Posts

August 16th, 2017 09:00

Hi jb555,

You can prevent unwanted VDI metrics from being pushed to the database with the BlockAllHandler which is part of the Variable Handling Filter.

You basically have to use a property value that is common to the VDI's (like a pattern in the name, ESX, datastore, etc...) and use that in the BlockAllHandler to drop the related metrics before they get pushed to the DB.

KB 503123 has details about its usage and functionality.

Regards,

Isaka

5 Posts

August 16th, 2017 10:00

Hello Tim T.

The VDI that I am referring to is Virtual Desktops. The desktops are used by our remote team. When someone logs out of a desktop it is immediately deleted and recreated. The net result is that is a deleted VM then a new VM several times a day.

Jason Boring

Principal Technology Engineer

vantiv

Jason.boring@vantiv.com

5 Posts

August 16th, 2017 10:00

Hello Isaka,

I am not able to see the attached PDF to the KB article. I want to be sure where the entry needs to go to be affective.

Jason Boring

Principal Technology Engineer

vantiv

Jason.boring@vantiv.com

141 Posts

August 17th, 2017 05:00

Hi Jason,

I have updated the KB, you should be able to download it now.

Regards,

Isaka

No Events found!