Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2011 02:00

trap-exploder - is OI adapter required?

Hello,

I plan to provide three IPAM domains with link up/down traps. Each domain represents different customer, unfortunately all devices send their traps to the same IP address (a netcool trap probe running on the same host). As I understood, setting up a trap exploder would provide me with the ability to forward traps to several destinations from one source. I read the Adapter userguide, and this leaves me a bit confused: if I do not want to process/see traps in the notification log or global manager, do I have to set up an adapter instance? I thought about starting each IPAM domain with it's trapd enabled, receiving traps forwarded by the trap exploder. Ignoring the question how to filter traps by customer - is it a possible approach?

Regards,

Gunter

May 26th, 2011 06:00

Hi Gunter,

if you only need to process link up/down traps, then you don't need to forward those traps to the trap receiver associated with OI. The default examples in the trap exploder config files (SAM suite) show this. You'll forward all link traps to all IP domains, and each domain will only process the ones belonging to devices in the topology.

HTH,

--Fred

== Monitor your Smarts environment using APG Solution Pack for Ionix ==
Frederic Meunier
Solutions Watch4Net Inc
APG & Smarts InCharge integration
http://www.watch4net.com

10 Posts

May 30th, 2011 22:00

Thanks a lot! Seems to make things a bit easier then ... :-)

10 Posts

June 8th, 2011 01:00

Well, I suspected it already: it would have been to easy. Trap-Exploder is running, but after typically 90 seconds it stops forwarding traps. We have less than 60 traps a minute, so apparently no overload condition.

The sm_service startup (from sm_service show --cmdline) is:

sm_service install --force  --unmanaged  --startmode=automatic \
'--name=TRAP-EX' \
'--description=SMARTS Trap Exploder' \
'/opt/SMARTS/InCharge7/SAM/smarts/bin/sm_trapd' \
'--rules=default' \
'--name=TRAP-EX' \
'--sport=9402' \
'--config=trapd' \
'--loglevel=Informational' \
'--errlevel=Informational' \
'--output'

and /local/conf/trapd/trapd.conf is mostly default:

PORT: 162
WINDOW: 10    

ASCII: FALSE
TAG: FALSE
ENABLE_FWD: TRUE
MATCH: first
QUEUE_LIMIT_MEGS: 0
QUEUE_LIMIT_SECONDS: 0

# forward generic traps to all local IPAM-domains and netcool trapd
FORWARD: * .* <0-3> * 1.2.3.4:9000 1.2.3.4:9001 2.3.4.5:162

As soon as I stop the trap exploder, the receivers will get a last bunch of traps forwarded, apparently some buffer is flushed then.

I'm pretty sure I missed the obvoius. Will I need a "--server=" option for the sm_trapd? Tried also with "--server=SAM", but without success.

No Events found!