Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2013 06:00

vSphere discovery

I have discovered ESXi 5.1 Hosts and network switches in SMARTS INCHARGE AM-PM and ESM (v9.1). Have enabled LLDP to make sure dependency mapping is shown correctly.

The issue is -- when I test a port failure (shutdown port on switch connected for a Host) on network switch, I don't see an event "Port Disabled" in Global console. Later I realized that this happens for any Host that does not have the class CABLE discovered (INCHARGE AM-PM >  ConnectedVia > Cable). And that the event would come from this class "Cable".

There are few other Hosts having this class discovered, and I see alerts reported for Port Disable. What could be causing CABLE class not discovered for certain systems? Tried rediscovering the Host and switch but did not help. Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2013 12:00

Hi Vtrack,

The ratio or ports to mac addresses has to be 1 to 1.  For example, if I have port on a switch that is connected to a single host with one interface, our software will create the ConnectedVia Cable connection if and only if the switch has the proper MAC address bridging information in it's mac address table and the ratio is 1:1.

Example:

Switch Name: Switch1

Switch Port: Port 3

Host Name: Host 1

Host Interface: Interface 1

MAC Address: 1A (for example)

Port 3 would need to know the MAC address for Host 1, or the address 1A, and when information is has a destination address for 1A and only 1A, the switch would know to send out Port 3.

Now in a case where a the Switch is connected to a Hub and the Hub is connected to 3 different hosts.

Port 3 would have the mac address information for 3 different hosts and the relationship to port to mac addresses would be 1:3 instead of 1:1 and no cable connection would be created to each of the hosts individually.

The hub scenario could also be compared to Host 1 above, that has VMWare Workstation installed on it, and the same interface also allows access to virtual interfaces. So the Port 3 would not only have the mac address information for Interface 1, but the 3 virtual interfaces, and the Port to MAC address ratio would be 1:4 and again no cable connection would be created.

So in this case the Switch does not have the proper MAC address bridging information, and/or is bridging multiple MAC addresses. 

Hope this helps.

JT

22 Posts

April 16th, 2013 01:00

Thanks, it really helped me understand how port - MAC address relationships are built. In fact helped identifying the problem in our case. The issue was with a mismatch in Host identifiers which was corrected, and then rediscovered the Host. The cable section is now shown.

No Events found!