SupportAssist Enterprise

Last reply by 01-01-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

"Dell Command | Update" shows incorrect CPU in System Information?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but it was the closest match I could find.  Some searching indicates that the Dell Command set of applications is intended for enterprise-level management of company PCs, but I have somehow ended up with it on my personal notebook (Latitude E6540).

In trying to decide whether I need both "Dell Command | Update v 4.1.0" and SupportAssist (and I seem to also have both "Dell SupportAssist" and plain "SupportAssist" installed), I noticed that Command | Update lists "Intel Xeon" in it's System Information summary.  That seems quite different from the Intel Core i7-4810MQ that is installed.  

Highlights from the XML export:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ArrayOfSystemDetailsEntryItem xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SystemDetailsEntryItem>
    <ComponentType>Driver</ComponentType>
    <Display>Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0C04</Display>
    <Version>10.1.18121.8164</Version>
    <Device>0C04</Device>
  </SystemDetailsEntryItem>
  <SystemDetailsEntryItem>
    <ComponentType>Driver</ComponentType>
    <Display>Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01</Display>
    <Version>10.1.18121.8164</Version>
    <Device>0C01</Device>
  </SystemDetailsEntryItem>
</ArrayOfSystemDetailsEntryItem>

I can also post the full output, if needed.

So is this a problem?  Or are these just generic drivers that covers a range of CPUs (and is the best option available)?

My other question would be whether I should keep Dell Command | Update, or just remove it and use SupportAssist exclusively.  Or the opposite?

Finally, if SupportAssist is the one to keep - which one of the two versions? (Or just remove and reinstall periodically when needed?)  I really dislike active services bloat.

• Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18
  • SupportAssist 3.10.7.0
Replies (0)
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor