Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

July 9th, 2018 02:00

AW 17 R4, SupportAssist messages to update BIOS

I have updated the BIOS 3 times now from SupportAssist messages but realize now it is having me reinstall the same version repeatedly over the same version

Alienware 17R4

BIOS  Version:  SKL1.3.0_KBL1.2.4

Get the same message in my tray every day now, getting annoying.  Any ideas on how to resolve?

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 17th, 2018 03:00

I've mailed you check your registered mail id.

thanks

Nikhil

1 Message

August 19th, 2018 16:00

Hey i have the same EXACT issue and laptop, how can I get the file to replace and fix?

August 20th, 2018 04:00

Update on my fix.

While Support Assist no longer prompts me to install the update, the Alienware Update program still asks :|

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 20th, 2018 05:00

Hi Dem Crumblies,

this forum is just for SupportAssist application issues, for any other application issue post your comment under there forum.

I'm not very sure about Alienware update forum please search on web.

thanks

Nikhil

August 27th, 2018 08:00

As I wrote above, I have exactly the same problem. I was again prompted today by SupportAssist to update urgently to Alienware_15R3_17R4_SKL1.3.0_KBL1.2.4.exe - as detailed above, done 3 times already by me, and once remotely by Dell Support.

The timestam of DriverScanBlackListManifest.xml is August 22, 2018, 23:13.

1 Message

September 1st, 2018 01:00

i have the same exatc issue it keeps telling me to insatll the update again and again can you send me DriverScanBlackListManifest.xml i have alienware r4

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 02:00

Hi Warraichwolf,

The config files will be / might already been updated in the customer systems as part of the weekly job, you can click on RUN ALL button.

Steps to replace the files manually.

Download the files from this location,
• DriverScanBlackListManifest.xml @ http://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/Client/Config/

and replace them here - C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\Config

You can click on Run All button after updating the Config Files. This will get the latest driver recommendation.

Please recommend customer to install this driver “one more time successfully”.  If it does install just uninstall it if you are using another one.
It doesn’t appear in recommended list again on subsequent runs (close and re-open SupportAssist tool).
SupportAssist need not be uninstalled & reinstalled for this issue. Please do not reinstall. If it is reinstalled, Please install this driver twice successfully.

Please update me if the above step resolves the issue

Thanks

DELL-Nikhil K

2 Posts

September 5th, 2018 15:00

I tried the instructions DELL-Nikhil K, didn't work for me. Was I not supposed to use support assist after downloading/replacing the files?

Still wants to reinstall the 6/28 BIOS

Elnutty

1 Message

September 12th, 2018 07:00

dear nakhil,

as mentioned by many of your customers, im still getting the above message over and over again. as i personally updated the BIOS multiple times, but issue still occur, 

kindly advise 

sulaiman

4 Posts

September 13th, 2018 15:00

I AM ALSO EXPERIENCING THE SAME ISSUE AS EVERYONE ABOVE AND IM NOT SURE HOW TO PROCEED. I SUCCESSFULLY DOWNLOAD THE BIOS UPDATE BUT IT STILL PROMPTS ME TO UPDATE.

31 Posts

September 14th, 2018 10:00

Same here,,,Im pretty sick of this...been going on for months now......please help Dell!!!!!!!!

6 Posts

September 15th, 2018 20:00

This bios issue is affecting a lot of people. Dell wants us to reload , reinstall, reset, and who-knows-what else and spend our life on an issue that they have caused. I have no Bluetooth now because of this. They can't figure out how to get my Bluetooth back either. This was a top-of-the-line, extremely expensive machine, that so far has been nothing but a piece of garbage. I don't know why Dell can't fix this without using their customers as guinea pigs. I don't have time to keep reloading my system, or as they say what will just delete all your software you installed, or whatever they need to get this fixed.. or just send us new PCs.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2018 21:00

1. It's not a "BIOS issue". It's a SupportAssist issue. Just uninstall it. I've found it doesn't know what it's talking about most of the time. We have parted ways. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6095405/highlight/true#M3971

I suggest you stop messing with your BIOS. Once a year, you can drop by support.dell.com, get the latest BIOS, and install it (if it pertains to an issue you are having).

Any other driver updates you need will come from Windows-Update inside Windows-10.

2. Microsoft tells us pros that once Windows has been violated or comprised, it must be reloaded fresh. Sometimes, you can do this without losing anything (an overlay). Sometimes, it takes a complete wipe and clean-install (fresh and new). 

3. Start your own thread. We can work on it, or you can use your extended warranty. It's your choice.

4. Right. Most of us here have expensive XPS, Alienware, Optiplex, and Precision systems.

5. It's garbage because SupportAssist is forgetful? Because a $20 Bluetooth card is flaky? Really?

6. Most of us do a complete Image Backup of whole system while it's working properly. Macrium Reflect Free is good for that. Backups are good.

7. If you decide to follow Dell Phone Support's directions, and allow them to replace whatever they want ... After a few failed attempts, it might come to that. However, sometimes it will be a refurbished system (usually a returned computer that they fixed). Read your Extended Warranty contract. That is what they are bound to, and following.

1 Message

September 20th, 2018 09:00

SupportAssist kept telling me to (re-)install the Dell Inspiron 7348/7352/7558 System BIOS driver, version A12.  When I looked in the "DriverScanBlackListManifest.xml" file, however, there was no entry for any version of that driver.  The only thing I could find (by searching for "A12") was an entry for the 5455/5555/5755 System BIOS driver.  In addition, the installed_once parameter on that line was set to "false".

I edited the file, replaced 5455/5555/5755 with 7348/7352/7558, changed installed_once to "true", and saved the file. 

Voila! SupportAssist no longer thinks the BIOS needs to be updated.

(Note: it may facilitate things to copy the file to a folder to which you have full access.)

1 Message

December 6th, 2018 05:00

Same issue here. The worst part is (and I think this is the intent of Dell) I can't use my Premium support. I've paid for 4 years of Premium Support. If I want to get the Premium Support I have to use the SupportAssist. Since I'm getting the "BIOS upgrade is a necessary" issue again and again the SupportAssust software automatically declines my Premium Support request. This is ridiculous, why I can't send a request because I think something is wrong? Is this suppose to be the PREMIUM support? If yes, I don't need it, and please give my 400 USD back that I've paid for this terrible service. I'm extremely disappointed in Alienware brand, I'd never buy this product again :( Nobody should... The hardware is terrible, I can't even use the Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time (not even I'm on the 5Ghz network).
No Events found!