Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2022 03:00

Dell Support Assist and Dell Update failed - Inspiron 3881 desktop with Win 11-21H2

Dear all:

After the previous Dell Update problem I had with Win 11-22H2 build, when I rolled back the Win 11 build to 21H2, all works again.

Just today, SA popped a note to upgrade to latest version. I'm currently on v3.10.4.18. So I did, then things just fell apart. Not only the update failed (unable to complete update, please reboot your PC) -- but now Dell Update also failed (Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0).

Searched and tried all leads, none works. Even uninstalled My Dell v2.0.30.0 and reinstalled it. All but the Support Assist link works.

For SA problem (failed update, then failed to run, failed to reinstall), I tried as much as ensuring no system files are corrupted (SFC, DISM, chkdsk /f), and ensuring I tried all suggested fix on the Dell Support Video (Support Assist fail to install) - none helps.

For Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0, reinstalling clean also failed (after clearing all related registry entries and related folders/files). I viewed the log, and it listed a long string of numbers (like 10-12 digits) as return error code - exactly the same as I had before, when having problem installing it under Win 11- 22H2 build. Best to say it is inexplicable error code.

I even tried to log in Windows with a backup admin account, and try to reinstall SA and Dell Command Update UWA. Same results, didn't work.

Any ideas? 

55 Posts

July 10th, 2022 14:00

Hi Imacri:

Glad to share here that my issues have been fixed as of 2 days ago. I deferred updating the post/forum immediately as I wanted to be sure the issues are really fixed and running stable first. From 2 days ago to now, they are fixed and running stable.

In summary:
BIOS update > Done, fixed, stable with latest v1.13.0

LingKwa_1-1657482421854.png

Support Assist  > Fixed, Installed, Running stable with latest v3.11.4.29

LingKwa_0-1657482107876.png

Dell Command Update UWA > Fixed, Installed, Running stable with latest v4.4.0 

LingKwa_2-1657482511372.png

My Dell > v2.0.30.0 Unable to run as it asks for a forced update, but the update failed (by clicking update from app). I mean the update script runs, then it pushes Fusion Service to be installed (despite already having the current version running). After what seemed to be Fusion Installation running, it popped a notification that installation failed - then can only choose close app. Since I only use My Dell to get to SA, and SA wasn't able to be installed before -- I don't really care at all. My Dell is just a skin/ wizard to launch other Dell Apps -- so I don't really find it useful. Not able to update and to run the app is not an issue.

LingKwa_3-1657483722482.png

Here's the detail of the issues fix I have achieved.
BIOS Update:
Manually downloaded the latest BIOS exe file from Dell Support site. Run it (as admin) from Windows does nothing, no error message, no nothing. It seemed to run, but no associated process is detected. Having that particular BIOS exe file run as admin in a DOS Windows (CMD) also does nothing. It runs and then just a blinking cursor in the C drive prompt.

Having noted the installation steps outlined in the Dell Support site about updating the BIOS, that you can either do it from Windows directly, or from the boot selection menu - I tried the latter.

Choosing the BIOS update exe file in the Boot menu (with a USB flash disk) seemed to run but nothing happens, until the PC rebooted and Windows starts again. However the BIOS update doesn't happen.

I checked and found a different file format, which is a BIOS recovery file, .rcv. I downloaded the file Inspiron 3881 v1.13.0 BIOS_IMG.rcv and copy it to the USB flash disk, then try the BIOS update process again (also via Boot Menu). Voila, this time it works and my BIOS got updated to latest. So it seems that the Boot Menu BIOS update/flashing will only take the .rcv file and not the .exe file. Are you aware of this?

Dell Command Update UWA and Support Assist installation:

After successful BIOS update, I tried my luck to install DCU UWA with version supposedly compatible with my Inspiron 3881 on Win 11 -  that is Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE. Again, as before, it failed.

Then I thought about your point of the possibility of my registry got messed up during the Win 11 build 22H2 roll back process to 21H2. I was like 90% certain my registry are OK since I only have issues with Dell apps. However, just to be certain, I rebooted the desktop, then login to Windows with a backup admin account, namely DELL. I do associate this DELL local account to my Microsoft account, so it has the same Microsoft's account credentials as my personal Windows account.

While logged in as DELL (backup admin account), I tried installing the DCU UWA v4.4.0. Low and behold, it installed without errors! Run it, it acted normally - showing that I need to update some other Dell apps, specifically latest Fusion Service and Support Assist agent. I stopped right here, closed the DCU UWA app. I didn't do the update just yet.

I rebooted the PC, then logged in with my personal account (not DELL). In this Windows, I ensured that OneDrive is syncing my current profile with this account to the DELL account profile (Apps and folders). So sure enough, when I searched for newly installed app, I found the DCU UWA v4.4.0 listed. I run it, and it runs normally. Searched for updates, and it displayed the same updates available, specifically, latest Fusion Service and Support Assist agent. I downloaded and installed them (from DCU UWA) -- and they installed just fine.

Now I see Support Assist as a newly installed app. Run it, and it works. Runs well, and I can check for updates too. So this is the condition I had before I had issues. Just like that, 2 issues that had pestered me for weeks are gone, and also fixed the manual BIOS update issue I had before.

My best guess is, maybe there is a change in my account profile (registry) that leads to issues.

To say that the roll back from 22H2 to 21H2 may caused this is still iffy to me. The reason being, after the roll back, Dell apps like My Dell, SA, and DCU UWA still works just fine.

My issues started when SA asked for an update, and the update failed. Then it also lead to DCU UWA stopped working.

While working to resolve those issues, My Dell asked for an update. Update failed as described above.

In a way, by side loading DCU UWA in another account (backup admin account) in the same Windows seemed to somehow enable the app to work also in my personal account. Note here, both backup admin account and my personal account is using the same Microsoft Account profile.

Having a successful BIOS update is a good thing. However, I'm not sure if this is the reason why my issues are fixed.

If I determine a more technical explanation to how this solved my issues, I will update this post again. For the time being, this is how I got my issues fixed.

Your thoughts?

Appreciate you taking the time this far to lead me to solve the issues.
Relief, finally .... phewww ...

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

June 30th, 2022 09:00

Hi Ling Kwa :

You said you rolled back to Win 11 v21H2 after the v22H2 preview caused issues. Do you have a Home or Professional edition of Win 11 and what is the exact OS build number shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications.  Do you have the latest Dell Inspiron 3881 System BIOS v1.12.0 (released 10-Jun-2022) and Intel Chipset Device Software v10.1.18267.8194 (released 05-May-2020) currently recommended on the support page <here> for your system?  To find your current BIOS version open a Run dialog box, enter msinfo32 to open your System Information panel and look for the “BIOS Version/Date” field.

Are you enrolled in the Windows Insiders Program (Settings | Update & Security | Windows Insider Program) and if so are you you on the Release Preview Channel or some other release channel? The Insider Preview builds are intended for IT professionals for beta-testing upcoming releases and aren't always stable, so you shouldn't be surprised if Dell Update and other software occasionally exhibit strange behaviour on an Insiders preview build of your OS.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest that you DISABLE the Fast Startup power option (also known as hybrid boot-up / hybrid shutdown) at Control Panel | System and Security | Power Options | Choose What the Power Buttons Do | Shutdown Settings | Turn on Fast Startup and then re-boot your computer to see if that has any effect. This power option is enabled by default but Fast Startup can interfere with the loading of services and drivers of third-party software at boot-up and cause unexpected problems, and Microsoft has acknowledged that Fast Startup can even interfere with Windows Update - see the MS support article Updates May Not Be Installed With Fast Startup in Windows 10. See Option # 2 in Brinks' ElevenForums tutorial Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 11 for detailed instructions.

Win 10 v21H1 Power Options Turn Off Fast Startup 27 Nov 2021.png

You also mentioned you were using Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0. Where did you download the installer for that utility? The support page <here> for you Inspiron 3381 recommends the "standard" Dell Update UWA v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021) and not the Dell Command | Update UWA v4.4.0 (Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_PWD0M_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021).

Note that the support page <here> for my Inspiron 5584 lists a newer Dell Update UWA v4.5.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_KJP8K_WIN_4.5.0_A00_01.EXE, released 25-Mar-2022).  I'm not sure why the latest Dell Update UWA v4.5.0 isn't recommended for your Inspiron 3381 yet.
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

55 Posts

June 30th, 2022 23:00

Hi Imacri,

OK, tried disabling Fast Startup options, shutdown, power on again, and tried installing Dell Command Update UWA build GP7HV > install failed. Tried build PWD0M, also failed.

Tried installing SA, failed too.

So, disabling Fast Startup on my Win 11 21H2 build 22000.739 has no effect to the problem in installing SA and DCU UWA.

Any other thoughts?

55 Posts

June 30th, 2022 23:00

Hi Imacri, thanks for looking this up.

Let me address your points as follows.

Do you have a Home or Professional edition of Win 11 and what is the exact OS build number shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications. 

My Inspiron 3881 desktop is running Win 11 Home 21H2 build 22000.739 - which I find is most stable, when compared to 22H2 preview build 22621.105

Do you have the latest Dell Inspiron 3881 System BIOS v1.12.0 (released 10-Jun-2022) and Intel Chipset Device Software v10.1.18267.8194 (released 05-May-2020) currently recommended on the support page <here> for your system?  

My system BIOS had been updated to latest v1.12.0, done about June 14. 

The Intel Chipset Device Software v10.1.18267.8194 (released 05-May-2020) I believed has been updated in the past too. I was unable to find the specific Intel Chipset Device firmware version. However, in my device manager, I do see that Intel chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller firmware is on v17.11.0.1000 (30 Sep 2021).

Are you enrolled in the Windows Insiders Program (Settings | Update & Security | Windows Insider Program) and if so are you you on the Release Preview Channel or some other release channel?

Yes, I'm enrolled in the Win Insider's Program, and elected to be on the Release Preview Channel. At this time, I chose to temporarily suspend the Release Preview Channel updates - due to the problems I had with a number of apps, including Dell Command Update UWA.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest that you DISABLE the Fast Startup power option

No I have not done this. It is a good thing you pointed this out. I'm aware of the potential quirks, but may have dismissed this option as I was looking into other "more" likely causes. I will try this and let you know whether it corrects the problem.

You also mentioned you were using Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0. Where did you download the installer for that utility?

I downloaded it from the Dell support site by indicating the unit model I am looking the updates for (Inspiron 3881). I get it here>  https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-bW44cUFmbTdzbzMvaFJTWTNZNFloUT090/drivers . When it failed to install, I also look here> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PWD0M 

The support page <here> for you Inspiron 3381 recommends the "standard" Dell Update UWA v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021) and not the Dell Command | Update UWA v4.4.0 (Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_PWD0M_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021).

Now here's the weird thing. Build GP7HV was the first working app I had (while on W11 21H2), until I upgraded Win 11 to build 22H2. It didn't work with 22H2. So I deleted it, reinstalled it - still didn't work. When I rolled back 22H2 to 21H2, I tried reinstalling build GP7V, and still didn't work. I browsed Dell Support Site for DCU UWA for my Inspiron 3881, I saw another build, which is PWD0M. So I tried that, and it installed correctly and runs OK. I also tried different version like latest v4.5.0, and it just won't install at all.

Then, My Dell > SA popped an upgrade notification, so I did. I was on SA v3.10.4.18 then. The upgrade failed, asking me to reboot PC and try again. This is when the problem started. Not only SA doesn't run (even when the upgrade failed, and it should remain on v3.10.4.18), DCU UWA also doesn't run. The rest I have described it on my post.

I'm not sure why the latest Dell Update UWA v4.5.0 isn't recommended for your Inspiron 3381 yet.

I know this is weird . I have another Vostro 5402 laptop on Win 10 pro 21H2, and it runs v4.5.0 just fine. Also SA v3.10.4.18 works fine.

I was wondering all these quirks with Dell apps has something to do with Win 11 (home or pro) compatibility? My past experience for these kinds of problem, going through the Dell Support Channel (when you're still on warranty) are often useless. This community forum with experts like you are way up there (kudos).

BTW, I tried responding to your reply this morning, just like 7 hours ago, and I was unable to do so. My browser would not just connect to dell site, citing incorrect certificate (TLS/SSL)?. 

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

July 1st, 2022 08:00

Hi Ling Kwa:

Is your service warranty still valid? If you aren't sure go to the Overview tab of the Inspiron 3881 support page <here> and enter your unique Service Tag to see the status of your warranty.

Now that you are on the Win 11 v21H1 stable release (KB5014697 - OS Build 22000.739, released 14-Jun-2022) I would advise that you completely opt out of the Windows Insider Program, and not just temporarily suspend Insider preview updates. See the MS support article Leave the Windows Insider Program and  expand the section titled "Stop receiving Insider Preview builds" for additional information.

I understand that you ran System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and DISM commands like Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth from an elevated command prompt after rolling back from Win 11 v22H2 to v22H1 (if I'm wrong, see the ghacks.net article Use DISM to Fix Issues SFC Can't) and that none of those SFC and DISM commands found any issues with your current Windows system files. Are your problems with SupportAssist and Dell Update / Dell Command Update the only problem you are currently experiencing, or are you seeing other issues that might warrant a full Windows 11 repair with an in-place upgrade (i.e., keeping your personal files and apps) of your Win 11 OS?

Could you post an image of the Dell programs currently installed on your Inspiron 3881 that are shown at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features (or at least provide a list of Dell programs names and version numbers)? I'm a bit confused about what Dell software and versions that are currently installed on your system. From my own Inspiron 5584 / Win 10 Pro machine:

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Control Panel Dell Programs Installed 24 Jun 2022.png

Note that the current version of SupportAssist is v3.11.4.29 (rel. June 2022), not v3.10.4.18 (rel. Nov 2021) - see the release notes for recent SupportAssist versions at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-supportassist-pcs-tablets/docs. There are many users posting in this forum reporting problems trying to update / install / re-install / run the latest SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 so I might wait a bit to see what Dell does to fix these problems before trying to fix SupportAssist.

I'll post a hints for reinstalling SupportAssist and Dell Update in a separate reply, although I'm not sure how much help they will be if Dell is currently trying to push out a buggy SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 to everyone.
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.2.16157* Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

July 1st, 2022 09:00

@Ling Kwa wrote:

... You also mentioned you were using Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0. Where did you download the installer for that utility?

I downloaded it from the Dell support site by indicating the unit model I am looking the updates for (Inspiron 3881). I get it here>  https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-bW44cUFmbTdzbzMvaFJTWTNZNFloUT090/drivers . When it failed to install, I also look here> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PWD0M ...

...I was wondering all these quirks with Dell apps has something to do with Win 11 (home or pro) compatibility?

Hi Ling Kwa:

I have a Win 10 Pro v21H1 OS so I can't speak to that personally, but there are many Win 11 users currently posting about problems with SupportAssist and Dell Update.

If you want to try another reinstall of SupportAssist now, I would advise using employee DELL-Chris M's instructions in SupportAssist Uninstall / Reinstall. Note that those instructions require an uninstall of all SupportAssist-related programs (including Dell SupportAssist Remediation, Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update, etc.). When I follow those instructions I go one step further, and instead of uninstalling from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features I use Revo Uninstaller Free in "Aggressive" mode to perform the uninstall. This way I can use Revo Uninstaller Free to select and delete all orphaned files and registry entries left behind by the "regular" uninstaller before I perform a clean reinstall with the latest installer downloaded from the SupportAssist for Home PCs download page. If you don't want to use Revo Uninstaller Free then Dell Tech Support has a video at Dell SupportAssist Not Installing (updated 17-Jun-2022) that describes how to manually delete the folders, registry entries and Windows services that might be left behind by a Control Panel uninstall.

There is no Dell Command | Update (DCU) v4.4.0 listed on the support page <here> for an Inspiron 3881 / Win 11 computer (and I don't even think a DCU v4.5.0 has been released by Dell yet). If I go to the https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PWD0M page you mentioned and enter your Inspiron model and Windows OS it says that Dell Command | Update is not compatible with any Inspiron 3881 / Win 11 system (see image below). The only recommended program on your support page is the current Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021).

Dell Inspiron 3881 Dell Command Update v4_4_0 Not Compatible 01 Jul 2022.png

You can't have Dell Command | Update (DCU) and Dell Update (DU) both installed on your system at the same time. I would suggest you uninstall all versions of Dell Command | Update (DCU) and/or Dell Update (DU) listed at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features with Revo Uninstaller Free to remove any orphaned files and registry entries left behind by the "regular" uninstaller and then perform a clean reinstall of Dell Update (DU) using the correct installer for your Service Tag. To get the correct installer go to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=products and enter your unique Service Tag, which should take you to the support page for your Inspiron 3881. Ensure your support page has auto-dected your Windows 11 OS, and you should only be offered software and drivers that are suitable for your specific hardware configuration and OS. As I noted above, this will likely be Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021).
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.2.16157* Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0 * Revo Uninstaller Free Portable v2.5.9

55 Posts

Imacri:

Responding to your previous post, posted on ‎07-01-2022 11:17 PM (my time, GMT +7)

If you want to try another reinstall of SupportAssist now, I would advise using employee DELL-Chris M's instructions in SupportAssist Uninstall / Reinstall.

I did try all this (among other suggestions). I have gone as far as to manually delete suspected Dell app folders and registry entries as shown in the discussion, and the Dell Video. None works. I also use Iobit uninstaller (kinda like Revo), and no, doesn't help at all (too).

There is no Dell Command | Update (DCU) v4.4.0 listed on the support page <here> for an Inspiron 3881 / Win 11 computer (and I don't even think a DCU v4.5.0 has been released by Dell yet). If I go to the https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PWD0M page you mentioned and enter your Inspiron model and Windows OS it says that Dell Command | Update is not compatible with any Inspiron 3881 / Win 11 system (see image below). The only recommended program on your support page is the current Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021).

You are correct to point out that Dell Command Update UWA build GP7HV 4.4.0 is the only recommended app for Inspiron 3881 running Win 11. This is what I have before, and was working fine, until the problem of Support Assist update failure, for some reason, also dragged DCU UWA to not work, and to not being able to be reinstalled.

The other build of DCU UWA build PWD0M 4.4.0 was found by searching other related app for Win 11, without putting Inspiron 3881 on the search criteria.

Yes, DCU UWA v4.5.0 was not listed as compatible for Inspiron 3881 with Win 11. I'm just stating that my Vostro 5402 on Win 10 Pro 21H2 do use SA v3.10.4.18 and DCU UWA v4.5.0 - all without a problem.

You can't have Dell Command | Update (DCU) and Dell Update (DU) both installed on your system at the same time. I would suggest you uninstall any version of Dell Command | Update (DCU) and/or Dell Update (DU) ...

Yes, I'm aware of this. Dell Update was the previous Dell app name, which later on on newer version, is called Dell Command Update UWA (CMIIW). When it was working fine, I only have one Dell Update app running. The last one was the DCU UWA build GP7HV 4.4.0 (before it stopped working after the SA update failure).

To get the correct installer go to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=products and enter your unique Service Tag, which should take you to the support page for your Inspiron 3881. Ensure your support page has auto-detected your Windows 11 OS, and you should only be offered software and drivers that are suitable for your specific hardware configuration and OS.

Yes, aware of this, and this is my only source of getting updates for my Inspiron 3881 now. I didn't really like this page as it listed all the updates available for the my Inspiron model, but it doesn't display what's already in the system. Or maybe it is the job of SA agent to inform that, and now that SA is not working/not installed, it doesn't report what I already have. This is the main reason why I prefer to have Dell Command Update UWA to work. Support Assist would be nice to have, if it works.

Thanks for keep looking this up bro.

55 Posts

Thanks for responding Imacri

This is my response to your questions.

Is your service warranty still valid?

No, it expired by Dec. 11, 2021. I purchased the 3881 on late December 2020, but had kept it in the box for over a year. By the time I get to unpack and set it up (like around December 25, 2021), the service warranty had already expired. Bummer.

I would advise that you completely opt out of the Windows Insider Program, and not just temporarily suspend Insider preview updates.

Thanks for the reminder, yeah, seriously considering it. For the time being, I'm not updating anything that shows in the Insider's Program though.

I understand that you ran System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and DISM commands like Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth from an elevated command prompt after rolling back from Win 11 v22H2 to v22H1 (if I'm wrong, see the ghacks.net article Use DISM to Fix Issues SFC Can't) and that none of those SFC and DISM commands found any issues with your current Windows system files.

Correct, neither SFC nor DISM commands found anything wrong with Windows system files.

Are your problems with SupportAssist and Dell Update / Dell Command Update the only problem you are currently experiencing, or are you seeing other issues that might warrant a full Windows 11 repair with an in-place upgrade (i.e., keeping your personal files and apps) of your Win 11 OS?

At this point, only affecting Support Assist and Dell Command Update, unable to reinstall after existing app doesn't work, then got uninstalled, then tried to be reinstalled. No other Windows apps or third party apps are affected. Only the 2 Dell as mentioned above.

Could you post an image of the Dell programs currently installed on your Inspiron 3881 that are shown at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features (or at least provide a list of Dell programs names and version numbers)?

LingKwa_0-1656690805309.png

Those are the only Dell apps I have now. Note that I have uninstalled all Dell apps before, then reinstall them one by one. Those 2 are the ones reinstalled just fine. No effect on my problem though.

Note that the current version of SupportAssist is v3.11.4.29 (rel. June 2022), not v3.10.4.18 (rel. Nov 2021)

Yes, aware of the latest SA version. My last working version was v3.10.4.18, where it popped an update window. When I clicked update, that is when the problem(s) started. Not only SA failed to update, then failed to be reinstalled for save version (after being uninstalled) -- but Dell Command Update UWA also failed, and unable to be reinstalled too.

I did browse through the forum on the Support Assist and Dell Update problems. There were isolated cases where a solution was found and confirmed. None of those marked solution works for my problem unfortunately.

In general, I haven't seen any specific discussion as to what exactly cause it - hence a proper work around can be determined, tested, and replicated. Or maybe, I just haven't found the relevant discussions offering solution(s). I don't see the need to reinstall Windows at this stage yet.

At any rate, much appreciated for you taking the time.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

July 1st, 2022 14:00

Hi Ling Kwa:

One other quick thought. Have you installed the Fusion Serivce v2.0.58.0 recommended for your Inspiron 3881?. If your My Dell app is working correctly it's probably installed but I think newer versions of SupportAssist (and possibly Del Update) now required this service.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Control Panel Dell Fusion Service v2_0_58 Installed 16 Apr 2022.png

There have been so many changes to made to SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 I'm not even sure what the new system requirements are, aside from .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.x. I currently have my Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssist Remediation services disabled (I don't want this buggy software running on my system right now) but I believe a new service called Dell TechHub has been loading at boot-up and running on my system since I updated to SupportAssist v3.11.4.29.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Windows Services Dell TechHub Added by SA v3_11_4_29 01 Jul 2022.png

---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.2.16157* Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0 * Revo Uninstaller Free Portable v2.5.9

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

July 1st, 2022 14:00

@lmacri wrote:
...If you want to try another reinstall of SupportAssist now, I would advise using employee DELL-Chris M's instructions in SupportAssist Uninstall / Reinstall. Note that those instructions require an uninstall of all SupportAssist-related programs (including Dell SupportAssist Remediation, Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update, etc.). When I follow those instructions I go one step further, and instead of uninstalling from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features I use Revo Uninstaller Free in "Aggressive" mode to perform the uninstall. This way I can use Revo Uninstaller Free to select and delete all orphaned files and registry entries left behind by the "regular" uninstaller before I perform a clean reinstall with the latest installer downloaded from the SupportAssist for Home PCs download page. If you don't want to use Revo Uninstaller Free then Dell Tech Support has a video at Dell SupportAssist Not Installing (updated 17-Jun-2022) that describes how to manually delete the folders, registry entries and Windows services that might be left behind by a Control Panel uninstall....

Hi Ling Kwa:

Just a thought, but your image <above> of your installed Dell programs shows that Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update is still installed on your computer.  That is one of the SupportAssist-related programs that should be uninstalled before reinstalling SupportAssist as instructed in DELL-Chris M's instructions at SupportAssist Uninstall / Reinstall .  If you don't have SupportAssist installed then I don't think that plugin serves any useful purpose and might even cause unexpected glitches.

If you uninstall that Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update now (preferably using Revo Uninstaller Free in aggressive Mode to clean up the stray files and registry entries) and re-boot are you able to install Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE, released 29-Oct-2021)?

That image also shows that you don't have Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery (listed as Dell SupportAssist Remediation at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features) installed. Do you have any sort of disk imaging or emergency recovery software installed that you can use to roll back your system to a time before you upgraded to Win 11 v22H2 and later rolled back to v21H2? That seems to be the point in time where most of your problems started.

Note that I have Windows System Restore enabled on my Inspiron 5584 / Win 10 Pro v21H2 machine as instructed in the Windows Central article How to Use System Restore on Windows 10 (I'm guessing it's also disabled by default in Win 11) and I also use Macrium Reflect Free system imaging software to create emergency media (e.g., a bootable USB stick) and the occasional full disk image in case I have to perform an emergency system recovery.
---------------

55 Posts

July 1st, 2022 23:00

Hi Imacri,

Responding to your points:

Have you installed the Fusion Serivce v2.0.58.0 recommended for your Inspiron 3881?.

Yes I have Fusion Service v2.0.58.0 installed. I don't have any specific problem relating to this Fusion Service - which I'm aware is required to run certain Dell apps.

If your My Dell app is working correctly it's probably installed but I think newer versions of SupportAssist (and possibly Del Update) now required this service.

Yes, My Dell v2.0.30.0 is installed and running OK, except the Support icon (which directly link to SA). So when I clicked Support icon, it searched for the SA, and by not finding one, it redirects to dell.com site to download latest SA -- which doesn't want to install in my case. My Dell is just like a Dell Services skin, with links for the specific app.

There have been so many changes to made to SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 I'm not even sure what the new system requirements are, aside from .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.x

Word! I do ensure I have the latest .Net (Core) runtime v5.0.x on my Inspiron 3881. Matter of fact, I actually have 2 dot Net runtime installed. Namely v5.0.17.31219 and v6.0.6.31318. Would you reckon these may cause certain complications with my inability to install SA and DCU UWA?

Still hoping for Dell Update/SA to work ..

55 Posts

July 1st, 2022 23:00

Just an update:

I uninstalled the dot Net runtime v6.0.6.31318 and left v5.0.17.31219 in my system. Reboot the PC and not having the fast startup enabled. 

Retry to install SA (from the SA install launcher) - still failed
Retry to install DCU UWA build GP7HV 4.4.0 - still failed

So at this stage, having a dot Net runtime v6.0.6 is irrelevant to the problem I have.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2022 06:00

@Ling Kwa wrote:

... I uninstalled the dot Net runtime v6.0.6.31318 and left v5.0.17.31219 in my system. Reboot the PC and not having the fast startup enabled. 

Retry to install SA (from the SA install launcher) - still failed
Retry to install DCU UWA build GP7HV 4.4.0 - still failed

So at this stage, having a dot Net runtime v6.0.6 is irrelevant to the problem I have.

Hi Ling Kwa:

Before trying to install Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (DU build GP7HV, not DCU which is Dell Command | Update), did you uninstall the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update as I suggested <here>?

My understanding is that the "classic" .NET Framework 4.5 and later versions (for Windows PCs only) are backward-compatible with apps that were built with earlier versions of the .NET Framework, but that newer .NET Core Runtimes (multi-platform for Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.) are not backward- compatible. According to the minimum system requirements <here> for SupportAssist v3.11.4 you must have at least "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 and .NET Core Runtime v5.0.14", so I assume that means that any version of .NET Core Runtime from v.5.0.14 to the final v5.0.17 is fine.

As far as I know, if .NET Core Runtime v6.x is the ONLY .NET Core Runtime you have installed you will only be able to run applications developed with the .NET v6.x and SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 will not run correctly. If you ONLY have .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.17 (or both) installed you should be able to run SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 , as long as .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.17 wasn't corrupted when you rolled back from the Win 11 v22H2 Insider Preview build to v22H1.

Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 was installed on my Inspiron on 28-Mar-2022, and Windows Update did not install KB5013354 [the 64-bit .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.16] until 15-Apr-2022 when my April 2022 Patch Tuesday were applied on my Inspiron 5584. That would imply that Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 and earlier will run correctly without a "new" .NET (Core) Runtime.

I'm not too surprised that SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 does not run correctly on your system (that seems to be the case for many users and something that Dell probably needs to fix) but I'm still puzzled why the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.4.0 (rel. 29-Oct-2021) that is currently recommended for your Inspiron 3881 won't install, since it should be compatible with stable releases of 64-bit Win 11. My best guess is that your roll back from the Win 11 v22H2 Insider Preview build to v21H2 corrupted some Dell Update file or registry entry (or a required .NET Framework / .NET Core Runtime component) that is still on your system and wasn't removed when you uninstalled Dell Update (or Dell Command | Update) from the Control Panel.

Another possibility is that your antivirus or some other security program is interfering with the installation.  Are you using Microsoft Defender as your main antivirus, and do you have any other security programs that loads at boot-up and run in real-time protection mode (e.g., Malwarebytes Premium)?

I'd suggest you uninstall the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update and then download fresh copy of the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.4.0 installer (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE) from the support page <here> for your Inspiron 3881.  Save the .EXE installer to your Windows desktop, right-click the .EXE installer, and choose "Run as Administrator" (this is important).

If the Dell Update installation fails again go to the hidden C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdateService\UpdatePackage\log folder and see if there are any errors or warnings in the .TXT installation log that point to the problem. The installation log for the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 update that installed successfully on my Inspiron 5584 on 28-Mar-2022 is called "dell-update-windows-universal-application_kjp8k_win_4.5.0_a00_01.txt".
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.2.16157 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0 * Revo Uninstaller Free Portable v2.5.9

55 Posts

July 5th, 2022 00:00

Hi Imacri, sorry for the long pause. Been overwhelmed in a system conversion. Anyhow, this is to respond to your points.

Before trying to install Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (DU build GP7HV, not DCU which is Dell Command | Update), did you uninstall the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update as I suggested <here>?

I did. Not just uninstall any remnants of Dell apps and app drivers, but also do manual (and auto) cleaning of related registry entries.

My understanding is that the "classic" .NET Framework 4.5 and later versions (for Windows PCs only) are backward-compatible with apps that were built with earlier versions of the .NET Framework, but that newer .NET Core Runtimes (multi-platform for Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.) are not backward- compatible. According to the minimum system requirements <here> for SupportAssist v3.11.4 you must have at least "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 and .NET Core Runtime v5.0.14", so I assume that means that any version of .NET Core Runtime from v.5.0.14 to the final v5.0.17 is fine.

This is correct, and just how I understand the system requirements

As far as I know, if .NET Core Runtime v6.x is the ONLY .NET Core Runtime you have installed you will only be able to run applications developed with the .NET v6.x and SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 will not run correctly. If you ONLY have .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.17 (or both) installed you should be able to run SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 , as long as .NET (Core) Runtime v5.0.17 wasn't corrupted when you rolled back from the Win 11 v22H2 Insider Preview build to v22H1.

I did have both dot NET runtime v6.0.6 and v5.0.17 co exist initially. Then I uninstalled the v6.0.6 to check if it is causing the issues I have with SA and Dell update. Apparently, no change, issues still there. 

I thought about the chance of the current dot NET runtime (v5.0.17) be corrupted during the rollback from Win 11 - 22H2 back to 21H2. So I reinstalled the specific dot NET (v5.0.17). Nothing change, still have issues linger. So I assumed it is dot NET version that is causing the issues.

I mean for either SA or DU, both immediately popped a failed to install window the second I clicked install (even by run as admin).

Another possibility is that your antivirus or some other security program is interfering with the installation.  Are you using Microsoft Defender as your main antivirus, and do you have any other security programs that loads at boot-up and run in real-time protection mode (e.g., Malwarebytes Premium)?

Thanks for reminding. Yes, also thought about the possibility of AV and/or FW preventing a proper install. I did try to disable AV and let go of FW rules. No change, still unable to install. I use both MS Defender and Bit Defender (free edition).

I'd suggest you uninstall the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update and then download fresh copy of the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.4.0 installer (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE) from the support page <here> for your Inspiron 3881.  Save the .EXE installer to your Windows desktop, right-click the .EXE installer, and choose "Run as Administrator" (this is important).

I have done this, clean everything related to Dell apps and drivers/services related to the Dell Apps, which include uninstalling them. Clean, zero trace in the registry. Then run a newly downloaded Dell Update UWA 4.4.0, run as admin. Immediately failed like I described above. For the sake of curiosity, I will try this step again later on, and update you.

If the Dell Update installation fails again go to the hidden C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdateService\UpdatePackage\log folder and see if there are any errors or warnings in the .TXT installation log that point to the problem. 

This, although I have done it before - I was overwhelmed reading the install log not sure what to note from the long text. I will do it again, and this time scrutinize the log. Will let you know for sure.

Thanks for keeping tab to date, appreciate it.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

July 5th, 2022 08:00

Hi Ling Kwa:

I'm running out of ideas and I don't think there's anything I've suggested (other than disabling Fast Startup) that you haven't tried before.

I still don't know why you were installing Windows Insider Preview builds on your Inspiron 3881 (e.g., if your Inspiron 3881 is a test machine and you don't keep important personal files or user data on this machine) or if you create full disk images with disk imaging software so that you can roll back this machine to a previous date if anything goes wrong (I already asked that question <above> on 01-Jul-2022 but I don't think you answered so I'll assume "No").

If your only issue is that Dell SupportAssist and Dell Update won't install or run correctly then it might be simpler just to learn to live without those utilities for now and see what happens the next time Dell releases a new version. Hopefully someone else will jump into this thread and provide further suggestions for troubleshooting that I haven't thought of already.

Just something to consider, but you also have more extreme options if your Inspiron 3881 shipped from the factory with a Win 10 OS.  At this point it might be faster for you to back up all you important personal and user data to an external drive and then perform a clean reinstall of your Windows 10 v21H2 OS.  There is a link to instructions in the MS support article Leave the Windows Insider Program and TenForums has a step-by-step tutorial at How to Clean Install Windows 10. Once you've done that you can reinstall any required third-party software and restore your personal data. I wouldn't even bother trying to reinstall any of your proprietary Dell utilities and software after a clean reinstall with the possible exception of Dell Update using the recommended installer on the support page <here> for your Inspiron 3881 - it's the only useful Dell utility I have on my Inspirion 5584 now that my service warranty has expired. If your Inspiron 3381 is not a test machine then I would also opt out of the Windows Insider Program.

WARNING: A clean reinstall would completely wipe your hard drive and require you to re-activate your Windows OS with your Windows product key (which should be embedded in your UEFI firmware chip and detected automatically if your Inspiron 3881 shipped from the factory with an OEM version of Win 10) and set up your machine again with a new user account. Note that I performed a reset to factory condition on my Inspiron 5584 after my system would not boot up a few months after it was purchased and Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery failed to start an emergency recovery.  This factory reset rolled back my Win 10 OS to v1909 and reinstalled all the out-of-date Dell utilities and third-party software (including an unwanted McAfee LiveSafe antivirus) that was installed at the factory.  However, I've never performed a clean reinstall on my Inspiron 5584 / Win 10 Pro machine (I now use Macrium Reflect Free for creating full disk images for emergency recovery) so I won't be able to assist  you if something goes wrong.
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0

No Events found!