Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2019 03:00

Dell SupportAssist version 3.3.3 will not install

Today, I uninstalled my Dell SupportAssist because it would not finish checking "Get Drivers & Downloads."  It got stuck at 80% completion.  Unfortunately, now I'm not able to install the SupportAssist download (Version 3.3.3) on my Dell XPS 15 9530 laptop with Windows 10 Pro Version 1903.  Any help in solving this problem will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

February 19th, 2020 08:00

Problem is solved. I went through too many steps with Dell to document here so I will focus on the salient points.

• Soon - less than a half hour - after my initial posting Dell reached out to me; I didn't have to contact them.
  • After uninstalling the Dell Support Assist Dell Update Plugin I was able to re-install Dell Update but still not able to re-install SupportAssist.
  • I renamed the folder C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist so the next install attempt would create a new folder that I could inspect. In the file C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs\SupportAssistAgent.txt I found the following lines at the end of the install log. The beginning of each line has been cut off for brevity:

Installation Failed with return code : 1642
        Upgradation of SupportAssist failed.
        SupportAssist download/installation failed with return code: SupportAssistUpgradeFailed
         Application Exit Code: 19

• I Googled return code 1642 and also with the 'Upgradation of SupportAssist' message I guessed that there must be some remnant of the previous install that was triggering an upgrade attempt instead of a new install. However I did not know what the remnant could be assuming that was the problem.
  • Dell eventually asked for a remote session. We did the remote session and it looked like the Dell support team deleted the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\ UpdateService\SupportAssistAgent or simply Dell\SupportAssistAgent. I wasn't able to take a screenshot of the exact key. I did not observe any other changes being made to the system besides the registry key delete.
  • My best guess is the registry key that was deleted was the part that was tricking the install into trying an upgrade of an installation that didn't exist and caused the install failure.

In conclusion my Dell Update is working again. So is SupportAssist. I will keep Dell Update running (driver update process is fabulous) but stop the SupportAssist service as it is taking over 650 Mb of memory at the moment. But it is there if I ever need it again. Dell, please fix SupportAssist to not use so much memory!

I would like to recognize Akshatha and Dilip for their valuable assistance.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

September 28th, 2019 07:00

Same problem I had. Fixed by doing the following;

First make sure that windows is up to date with the latest updates. There is a new update for SA (version 3.3.3). So uninstall your current version and run CCleaner to fix registry errors and temp files. Restart your pc and download SA installer from here: https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe Run it as administrator and let it do is thing.

11 Posts

September 28th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your reply.  I followed your directions, but unfortunately I am still not able to install Dell SupportAssist version 3.3.3.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

September 28th, 2019 12:00

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. Witch windows build are you on? I am on 1903 latest build.

11 Posts

September 28th, 2019 12:00

Thank you for your reply.  I’m on Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 (latest update).

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

September 28th, 2019 13:00

Also make sure to uninstall the dell supportassist that is installed by windows store. So check your apps list and uninstall both versions of Supportassist before trying my solution again. 

• 

25K Posts

September 28th, 2019 16:00

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Have you tried uninstalling Support Assist from Contrl Panel and then reinstall Support Assist?

If not you can follow the steps provided below:

1. Search for control Panel

2. Under programs>Uninstall a program

3. Select Support Assist 

4. Right click on it and uninstall the same.

Once done, restart the system and install Support Assist using the link below:

https://dell.to/2lU5Cki

Run the application. Ensure that you are connected to the internet during the complete process. 

The application will update to the latest version. 

Let me know if this helps.

-Mellisa.

11 Posts

September 28th, 2019 18:00

Yes, I had previously uninstalled both SupportAssist versions and SupportAssist Agent from Control Panel, but unfortunately, I still cannot install SupportAssist using the link https://dell.to/2lU5Cki.

Also, I followed "Dell SupportAssist Not Installing (Official Dell Tech Support)” instructions on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHS2HvOoarc) without any success.

I have not yet tried uninstalling Dell SupportAssist Remediation or Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin. Do these two applications also need to be uninstalled?

Thank you both for your support.

9 Posts

September 28th, 2019 23:00

I'm also having the same issue (Inspiron 3580), have tried various solutions and SA refuses to install.. 

September 29th, 2019 02:00

Same situation for me.  Suggestions do not work!

1 Message

October 21st, 2019 08:00

I had the same problem, and try the youtube tutorial, and ccleaner...

November 23rd, 2019 07:00

I have installed the latest version of windows 10 1909 These problems still continue whatever the solution we try to make I cleaned he system installed fresh os then to the issue is the same its better to report this problem to dell developers.

November 25th, 2019 14:00

I have spent about 4 hours pouring over this and similar threads, uninstalling and reinstalling the Dell SupportAssist app from a multitude of different (all DELL company) sources in an attempt to resolve repeated installation failure of 3.3.3

(The initial problem presented itself after I thought uninstalling & reinstalling SupportAssist might be a good way to make it stop reporting the same [already installed] Intel driver needed updating.)

I finally used the “Go to Windows 10 CONTROL PANEL to Uninstall”

I removed the PCDr and Dell Update related programs and SupportAssist Remediation.  Then I rebooted and reinstalled.  I still received another (different) failure message at the end of the installation BUT...  noticed the LAUNCH button now appeared to be “active”.  I clicked on Launch and now SupportAssist appears to be fully functional for me again.

I don’t claim to be a programmer but if there is any way to convert the SupportAssist app into some sort of SaaS product, it seems to me that this could help remove the “infinite number of variables” problem inherent with supporting a bunch of different hardware platforms with varying revs of drivers, OS and applications.

I refuse (and shall always refuse) to pay for support agreements just to get driver updates.

I understand and accept that this means I shall sometimes go through potentially painful troubleshooting on my own.  

MY ONLY REQUEST IS THAT DELL TRY A LITTLE HARDER TO DO “THEIR PART” BY NOT INTRODUCING NEW PROBLEMS WITH THEIR SUPPORTASSIST ”UPDATES” MOVING FORWARD!

14 Posts

December 17th, 2019 09:00

how do you post a photo here

No Events found!