Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2019 07:00

Dell SupportSaaist 3.4 non updating drivers

Hi, my Dell Inspiron 17 (Inspiron 57770) with SupportAssist 3.4.0 is not running the drivers scan correctly since dec.10 and is giving me an 'unexpected error'.

All other functions works correctly.

How can I solve the problem?

Thanks in advance

Fabrizio

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 12th, 2020 16:00

On the off-chance it might work, I ran the Dell Update app to see what it would do. It found an OS Recovery update, among other things. After installing and restarting, and allowing Dell Update to finish some unexplained "operation" that it insisted it had to complete, I ran it again and got "system up to date."

I then ran SupportAssist's "Get Drivers and Downloads" and it completed successfully, for the first time ever, with a green "None available" and no error message.

This is on a new XPS 8930 running Win10 1909.

1 Message

December 19th, 2019 11:00

I'm having the same problem with version 3.4.0.200.  I have a Inspiron 5570

1 Message

December 20th, 2019 06:00

I have the same type of problem on two (2) different systems. Stuck on "validating..." or "failed". Had to call twice on a laptop system. they reinstalled SA every time to get it to update. Was told twice it will be corrected in the next SA update.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2019 02:00

Copper - had same effect 2 weeks ago when updating BIOS thru' SA. Stuck on 'validating', cancelled, rebooted, on reboot BIOS updated OK. Today had update 3.4.0.217 come thru' & installed. Running check for drivers worked OK. Tried a bit later and this did not work, no error, just a brief flash of red text in box then stopped. Not showing in History as run. Re-installed 3.4.0.200 - same happening, updated again to 217, no change. Ran 'Dell Update', showed 2 SA updates, (Dell Remediation ran & Update Plug-in) installed. Rebooted, now all appears to be working OK. In version 200 I noticed if you did not install all available updates, this was highlighted in Red on the Update Drivers box with RUN NOW not available. Now 'Updates Available' showing in under Get Drivers & Updates and RUN NOW available & working along with History. Previous computer was an HP, that had HP Support Assistant, that always was causing problems.

December 23rd, 2019 15:00

Thank you mgirons that worked for me too.  I did have one update after running Dell Update.  However, I'll have to wait I need further updates to confirm that SupportAssist will perform properly.

1 Message

December 24th, 2019 18:00

Same problem whether I run all or just the driver update. Everything else works.

1 Message

January 17th, 2020 19:00

Edit: After doing what @notabot mentioned (updating SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools via Alienware/Dell Update) SupportAssist driver update is working again, found 5 updates.

Original: I have this same problem, I am using a brand new Dell Alienware so It has the Alienware skin and different design (but I don't think the functionality and backend really changes)

Just installed a new update for SupportAssist hoping it would be fixed, but as far as I can tell it still isn't.
I find driver update to be one of the most useful tools in SupportAssist since Windows Update is absolutely
terrible at properly finding drivers.

SupportAssist driver update always fails at 'Validating' for me.

No Events found!