SupportAssist for PCs

Last reply by 07-01-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

Dell Update and Support Assist 5.5.2.16157

I have an XPS 15 9500 and the Dell Update keeps wanting to download Support Assist OS Recovery Tools 5.5.2.16157 which as far as I can tell does not exist. If I look in the list of available drivers and software for my laptop it does not appear and if I click on the reference link in Dell Update for that item it opens the Dell page which says that download is no longer available. Why does my laptop keep trying to download it and how do it stop this? OR if this version is available where is it?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Per Dell-Cares the fix was downloading and installing the following applications required for SupportAssist:

Fusion Service from this link

Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin Update from this link

Once the above applications are installed, please restart the system and then try to update the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools again. This should resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

Replies (5)
4 Tellurium

Hi vanderwest:

The Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools v5.5.x can only be installed and updated by Dell utilities like SupportAssist and Dell Update. If you choose to install this software it will be listed in Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features as Dell SupportAssist Remediation (see the image below from my Inspiron 5584 that shows I currently have v5.5.2.16157 installed). It cannot be downloaded from the Drivers & Downloads tab of the support page <here> for your XPS 15 9500, but if you choose to install Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools and also have Dell Update installed (which I believe is called Dell Command Update on some XPS models) you will likely be offered the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update as well.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Control Panel Dell SA-Related Programs Installed 26 Apr 2022.png

If you choose to install the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery tools this software will save a system repair point (snapshot) in a hidden folder at C:\ProgramData\Dell\SARemediation\SystemRepair\ folder each time your system is re-booted that can be used to repair your computer if it fails to boot up correctly. See the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery User’s Guide for more information about other functions included with this recovery environment.

Once SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools v5.5.x is installed on your system a new setting should appear in SupportAssist at Options (gear icon) | Settings | System Repair that allows you to enable/disable this emergency recovery software and/or set the amount of disk space reserved for your Dell system repair points....

Dell SupportAssist v3_8_1_23 Settings System Repair Enabled EDITED 03 May 2021.png

... and a SupportAssist OS Recovery settings manager will appear at Control Panel | System and Security | SupportAssist OS Recovery where you can also enable/disable and/or configure System Repair.

Win 10 v21H1 Control Panel System and Security SA OS Recovery Settings Manager 20 Aug 2021.png

Note that I currently have the Dell SupportAssist service and Dell SupportAssist Remediation service both DISABLED at Start | Windows Administrative Tools | Services so that neither of these programs can launch at boot-up (see my 03-Apr-2022 comments in r72019's SupportAssist PC-Doctor Module, 100% CPU and RAM Usage! for further details). Instead, I use Dell Update to check for available Dell software and driver updates and use Macrium Reflect Free system imaging software to create emergency media (e.g., a bootable USB stick) and the occasional full disk image in case I have to perform an emergency system recovery. As an extra precaution I've also ENABLED Windows System Restore (disabled by default on Win 10) as instructed in the Windows Central article How to Use System Restore on Windows 10.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1645 * Firefox v99.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.8.191-1.0.1666 * Dell Update v4.5.0 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6635 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BOIS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Community Manager

Per Dell-Cares the fix was downloading and installing the following applications required for SupportAssist:

Fusion Service from this link

Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin Update from this link

Once the above applications are installed, please restart the system and then try to update the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools again. This should resolve the issue.

4 Tellurium

Hi @Dell-BradL :

Perhaps I misunderstood what the OP vanderwest was asking in their original question <above>. They said "Dell Update keeps wanting to download Support Assist OS Recovery Tools 5.5.2.16157... Why does my laptop keep trying to download it and how do it stop this?" so I assumed they wanted to know the purpose of the Support Assist OS Recovery Tools and whether they should decline installation of the v5.5.2.16157 update.

Hopefully vanderwest will post back and clarify if they proceeded with the installation of Support Assist OS Recovery Tools v5.5.2.16157, and if the Fusion Service and Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update had to be installed first before installation of the Support Assist OS Recovery Tools would run to completion.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1645 * Firefox v100.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.8.191-1.0.1666 * Dell Update v4.5.0 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6635 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BOIS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Community Manager

Sorry for not adding that, this was mainly related to SupportAssist Recovery Tools which was not installing/updating correctly, and creating an error when SupportAssist was run (basically an update loop). By installing the Fusion update and the Plugin it allowed SupportAssist Recovery to be properly updated and stopped the prompt from showing up when updates were run.  

I think your explanation and details are excellent though. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

that resolved nothing

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor