Greg100
3 Argentum

I cannot prevent Support Assist from running

Jump to solution

I am using the latest version of Support Assist 3.5.0. If the registry cleaner runs it deletes valid entries and makes the associated application unusable. So I want to manually run other components of Support Assist that do not effect the registry.

If  set it to run manually, after a few  days it will automatically start anyway, and I risk losing my application access due to the registry scan. If I set it to run automatically and choose a time when the computer will be off to prevent it from running that way, after a few days it will also start scanning automatically when the computer is on. Fortunately I have been able to stop it when it starts and not lose my application access, but that has been just luck to be using the computer when Support Assist starts and catch it and stop it.

There seems to be no way to prevent Support Assist from running on its own. Why does Support Assist take over no matter what I do. That is very invasive. Is there a solution or do I just have to uninstall it and do without it?

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garioch7
3 Argentum

Re: I cannot prevent Support Assist from running

Jump to solution

@Greg100 

I am running the same version of SupportAssist and I have no issues with scans starting automatically.  By default, SupportAssist does schedule scans, but you can go into "Settings" (gear wheel, upper right) and then select "Schedule Scans and Optimizations".  Uncheck the top box on that screen: "Turn on automatic system scans and optimizations".  Before I unchecked that box, I went to the three different schedules below, and set them to monthly, then unchecked the "master switch".  I don't know if that makes any difference.

Please let me know if this helps, which I hope it does.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DELL-Cares

No response received

Jump to solution

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click our Dell-Cares name and send us a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
garioch7
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@Greg100 

I am running the same version of SupportAssist and I have no issues with scans starting automatically.  By default, SupportAssist does schedule scans, but you can go into "Settings" (gear wheel, upper right) and then select "Schedule Scans and Optimizations".  Uncheck the top box on that screen: "Turn on automatic system scans and optimizations".  Before I unchecked that box, I went to the three different schedules below, and set them to monthly, then unchecked the "master switch".  I don't know if that makes any difference.

Please let me know if this helps, which I hope it does.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Greg100
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Phil,

Thanks, I implemented your suggestions exactly and will keep my fingers crossed!

Greg

0 Kudos
garioch7
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@Greg100 

Thank you for posting back.  I hope that your issue is resolved.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

0 Kudos
garioch7
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@Greg100 

Just a heads-up.  My SuppportAssist version was just updated to 3.6, and when I checked, SupportAssist had turned on scheduled scans again.  I had to turn them off again.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

0 Kudos
Greg100
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Phil,

Thanks, I caught it and reset it to manual! That may also be why it sometimes runs when I have it set to  manual, because it  auto-updates and reverts to the automatic default scan option.

Greg

0 Kudos
garioch7
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@Greg100 

Good for you.  Glad you caught it.  Yes, every time SupportAssist updates to a new version, it seems to restore its default settings, so we users have to keep on top of that, or it does what we don't want it to do.  Pity that the version updates are not designed to respect the user preferences.  I can't imagine that the coding would be that difficult.  Most programs that I use don't revert to defaults with every update.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

0 Kudos
NikhilKiroula
DellEMC

Jump to solution

Hi @garioch7 

We have taken this as defect and it will be addressed during upcoming releases.

DELL-Nikhil K
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
garioch7
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@NikhilKiroula 

That is great news that this issue is being sent to the developers for resolution.  It is most annoying to have to always reset your preferences after an SA version update.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil