Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

22 Posts

June 8th, 2020 19:00

Intermittent freezing for several seconds at a time

I have an Alienware m15 several months old and from the get-go, I have had a problem where it intermittently freezes for several seconds. Obviously I only notice this when I am using the computer, and I am usually doing things in Chrome, but it doesn't seem to be related to any particular websites. When it freezes, the mouse does not move, the keyboard is unresponsive, and even CTRL-ALT-DEL does not do anything. After anywhere from 2-10 seconds or so it goes back to normal as if nothing happened. This used to happen at least once per evening I used the computer and I worked with Dell Technical Support to uninstall the Killer networking software and install the latest software from their website. I didn't experience the problem as often but I have noticed twice over the last week or so, so the problem is not gone. All of the diagnostics tests pass, all windows updates, BIOS & drivers, etc are up to date (I check Windows Update, Dell Update, and Intel updates regularly). I don't use any peripherals and I use WiFi. Nothing is plugged into the computer at all, other than the power cord. I have experienced the problem on battery and also when plugged into either of two different official Dell power supplies (one that came with it). I have reached out to DTS again over WhatsApp but when they asked me if I have tried using the computer in Safe Mode I thought it was time to broaden my search for help.

22 Posts

August 13th, 2020 08:00

I think this might finally be solved (knock on wood). I uninstalled ALL Dell and Alienware software from my laptop by going to Apps and Features and searching on Dell and Alienware and uninstalling each. I decided to do this after seeing a spike in CPU in Task Manager at the end of one of my "freeze" events -- the process was Dell SupportAssist Remediation or something like that. This was about a week ago or so. I have not experienced the freeze since -- but it was an intermittent problem so we'll see.

Also, I was able to get the WiFi stable by turning off Smart Access Point Selection and Network Prioritization Engine in the Killer app. The WiFi hasn't disconnected even once in the last two weeks since I did that.

10 Posts

June 9th, 2020 18:00

I am still getting this after all the "TECH SUPPORT" 

Johnbsaid_0-1591750836273.png

June 10th, 2020 04:00

@lam3001 

When the is system freezing, are you noticing any spike in any applications/process in Task Manager? Keep the Task Manager running in the background always and when the freeze happens and restores back to normal please check for any abnormalities in any of the processes or applications.

Do you any AntiVirus running on the machine? If yes, can you please do a full scan and see if it catches any malware or Viruses?

Is your OS up-to-date if not try upgrading to the latest version of OS and see if that resolves the issue. 20H1 is the latest update to Windows 10.

22 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 11:00

Dell took the laptop back, changed the motherboard, and returned it to me.

However, the problem still happens occasionally.

1. I have Task Manager running all the time. However, when this issue happens, I cannot switch windows (ALT-Tab does nothing), so I can't switch to see Task Manager until the issue is over 5-10 seconds later. All I can see is that CPU was at 100% for part of that time, but not which process was using it.

2. I have not installed anything additional -- I have the built-in Windows software and then Alienware opens up everyday and does a full scan of some kind. I haven't installed too much before this problem started so I doubt that's it.

3. All Windows Updates, Alienware/Dell updates, Intel updates, Killer networking updates, and Nvidia updates that are available have been installed (I'm on Windows 10 1909).

22 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 12:00

The issue just happened again. I counted about 5 seconds as the duration where everything was frozen this time. I looked at Task Manager afterward, and there is a spike in Disk, Network, and CPU all at the same time around the time that it happened.

lam3001_0-1595444691099.png

July 23rd, 2020 01:00

I get this too, on a Dell Inspiron 3585, which I bought in October 2019.  The problem has been occurring since then.  It doesn't freeze completely - if I am listening to streamed music, that keeps going when the keyboard and mouse freeze.  I thought it might be "autosave" in my email client (Thunderbird) but turning that feature off doesn't fix it.  It always recovers but is quite annoying.

Peter

22 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 18:00

Update:

1. In another instance, there was a spike in CPU but not in the other areas like the picture I posted.

2. Dell has now replaced the motherboard, SSD, and RAM, and the issue still occurs

3. I do have the latest BIOS, Windows Updates, Dell/Alienware Driver updates, Intel Driver updates, Nvidia Driver updates, and more recently, Killer Networking driver updates.

4. I also have a problem with frequent WiFi disconnects/reconnects in certain parts of the hour with about 60% signal -- MacBook Pro in the same location never had a problem. I turned off "Smart Access Point Selection" and "Killer Prioritization Engine" in the Killer Control Center and have not had a WiFi disconnect since.

Still looking for a solution ...

22 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 19:00

Peter, I doubt it's Thunderbird - I don't use that at all. I had the problem pretty much from the get-go on this laptop when almost nothing additional but Chrome was installed.

The fact that you have it on a 3585 is interesting. I think you have an AMD chipset, CPU, GPU etc right? What networking chip do you have? I wonder what we have in common besides Windows and Dell software? My laptop is Intel based with an Nvida GPU and Killer Networking.

August 2nd, 2020 23:00

Iam3001:Thanks for replying.  I did say I had eliminated \thunderbird. The CPU is AMD Ryzen and GPU is AMD Radeon.  I have not yet been able to trap this one with Task Manager but I don't think this will help identify the actual process that is hanging the CPU.

Peter

August 13th, 2020 09:00

Iam3001:

That's promising.  Here I have stopped the SupportAssist Remediation service rather than uninstall it. I will then at least be able to back out of the cure if it is ineffective.

Fingers crossed.

22 Posts

August 20th, 2020 10:00

I had the same problem on my Alienware laptop and worked with Dell support for months. They even replaced the motherboard, RAM, and SSD.

In the end, what solved it for me was basically the same as you -- uninstalling all of the Dell and Alienware software. I am pretty sure the culprit was something called "Dell SupportAssist Remediation" but I just uninstalled it all and never reinstalled any of it to see which program it was. I also uninstalled some of the Killer Networking management software which was causing network issues -- haven't had a network issue since.

August 20th, 2020 13:00

Iam3001:

Here I have disabled the Support Assist Remediation Service in the services app. and the keyboard/mouse lockup fault has not occured since, whereas before it happened once every few days.  I don't want to uninstall anything else if it's not causing trouble, despite what others have to say about Support Assist!

Peter M

9 Posts

August 27th, 2020 08:00

I have also been experiencing the same issue from the very beginning on my new G5 15SE. Going to try disabling Dell Support Remediation Service before uninstalling anything. 

August 27th, 2020 09:00

Kowater:

I am still clear of this problem after 2 weeks, just disabling the Support Assist Remediation service and nothing else.  Please report back here what you find - someone at Dell might be interested.

Peter M

9 Posts

August 27th, 2020 12:00

PeterMartinez, for the past two hours, it has been stable so far, just by virtue of stopping the Support Assist Remediation Service and nothing else. I mention this after two hours, only because I typically experienced this lag/stutter every 5-10 minutes. Hopefully Dell can benefit from user troubleshooting to improve their product.

No Events found!