Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LD

July 2nd, 2016 08:00

SupportAssist says driver updates are installed?

XPS13 with Windows 10.  See screen shot below.  Dell Support Assist program says the two driver updates are recommended.  clicking "install" it shows progress to install, then says installed, but on refresh or re-entry to the program it still shows them as needing to be installed.  No errors generated.  Other driver updates done the same way without issue.  Suggestions?

17 Posts

April 7th, 2017 23:00

I have Win 7 pro on my XPS 8900 and i have tried to install update 11.5.0.1020 over 11.5.0.1019 and it just won't work .

Keeps reinstalling the latter.

May 7th, 2017 12:00

Well, you never know what's going to happen.

At shutdowns (or restarts) I started getting a Program Manager dialog that said "Closing 1 app and shutting down" (see my attachment).  But I had no programs open.

The computer did shutdown or restart on its own, without me having to click on anything in the dialog.  The dialog appeared about 9 out of every 10 shutdowns.

While researching shutdown issues I ran across this video....
www.youtube.com/watch  

Although I didn't have the type of shutdown issues that the video addressed, I found it interesting that the Intel Management Engine Interface driver was involved in the fix.

When I rolled back the v11.6.0.1042 driver that was previously updated via Device Mgr to the v11.5.0.1019 that the looping Dell update installed, the Program Mgr dialog no longer appeared at shutdowns/restarts.  I ran the PC that way for several days without issue.  Then, just for kicks, I updated the driver again from Device Mgr and on the next shutdown the dialog reappeared.  I have no doubt that the updated driver was at fault so I rolled it back again.

Frankly, I found the dialog at shutdown to be more of a PITA than the looping Dell update because it was in my face several times a day.

Next I ran SupportAssist.  Strangely, it now says the system is UP TO DATE, and no longer wants to reinstall the driver.

From looking at Programs & Features I found that on 4/27 SupportAssist was updated, and on 5/1 SupportAssistAgent was updated.

I haven't been reading the forums, but it looks like Dell finally addressed the issue, and that it was SupportAssist all along and wasn't an issue with the driver update file after all.

May 7th, 2017 22:00

OK. It's acceptable to use a lesser driver that has no problem - & doubly acceptable, if it actually cures one.

Regarding Support Assist no longer tries to update it, did you check at your support site to see whether the greater version is still available there? If so, does the site offer it when you ask it to detect drivers? I think probably it will not be at the site. I'm thinking that is where Support Assist checks for it.

Windows' Creators Update (v.1703) in the meantime was tardy arriving through Windows Update [which is how I took all other upgrades Win 8.1 > Win 10 (OS 10240) > v.1511 > v.1607]. So, I downloaded & clean installed v.1703 into unallocated space. It asked only for my Wi-Fi & Microsoft account passwords - not the product key. It brought in all my major Dell/Intel/Realtek drivers during the install, & all is working well & quick. A different (also harmless) shut down error than yours was cured by it. The computer boots quicker than ever.

I love Dell for having supplied these drivers to Microsoft to come in that way & for making a machine (Inspiron 3542) that has survived all these upgrades. Only the Dell Touchpad driver had to be separately installed for full touchpad functionality. And Windows kept saying to reboot to complete the Realtek Audio driver install. That has stopped.

But I can't guarantee it would be that smooth or nice for all computers. Therefore, of course, make a system image backup first. And have all Dell drivers on hand, not to mention all 3rd-party apps.

May 8th, 2017 22:00

The only problem I had with that (lesser) v11.5.0.1019 driver was the looping reinstall issue it had with SupportAssist.

Regarding Support Assist.  Today I didn't get the "Your system is up to date" message in the Drivers & Downloads box.  I got a "View your updates online" message instead.  I don't know why I got a different response today (same SA app versions are installed) but I did view updates online.  At Dell's site I used "Automatically detect driver updates for your system" and the response was the same, "No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates. Driver detection complete".  Both times I ran SA I did so while their own v11.5.0.1019 driver was installed and was never asked to reinstall, I was actually expecting the looping reinstall prompt so that came as a pleasant surprise.  I also used "find it myself" and found the same package still on the site, which is Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer,  File Name: Chipset_Driver_X37VM_WN32_11.5.0.1020_A01_14.EXE.  Given that the same update is still on their site but the SA application versions were updated, there's no doubt the looping reinstall issue was actually caused by SA and not the update file.

I admit my knowledge of chipset drivers is limited to installing the correct Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer package for my machine.  Even more limited is my ability to predict possible issues that might arise as a result of updating/modifying just one of the components in the package, as was done in Device Mgr.  Unlike tweaking an application program where potential issues would be limited to a known application, with a system wide program like a chipset driver there's no telling where or how such issues would manifest themselves.  Had I not heard about it in that video, I never would have thought to connect the shutdown message issue with the (successful) component driver update in Device Mgr.  Pretty obscure stuff IMO.

In hindsight, I should have left SA's looping driver issue alone and just lived with it.  Choosing instead to simply not reinstall the driver whenever I checked for updates.  In my zeal to rid myself of that annoyance, I essentially traded a harmless but nagging issue that occurred only once or twice a month for one that occurred several times a day whenever I shutdown the computer.  However, at that time I was convinced Dell didn't consider it to be an issue with SA, which apparently was the case.

I use Windows 10 Pro and configured "feature updates", such as the Creators update, to be deferred.  So I'm not likely to see that update for at least a month, maybe longer.  I still have v1607 installed.

Now that your machine has undergone several major changes, I suppose you'll never know if your shutdown error was actually caused by the update performed from Device Mgr.

May 9th, 2017 20:00

My error at shut down was twice as annoying as yours...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2929203

Application error in Explorer.exe when you shut down or restart Windows

I never had it in Win 8.1. It only showed up in Win 10, v.1607. The "workaround" in that article was ineffective. I am overjoyed to report it is gone now in v.1703. I am confident I'll never see it again owing to the many reboots I have done reinstalling my apps (& reboots over a quite different harmless but pesky issue) - & I haven't seen that Explorer.exe thing once! As my Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI)driver remains the same v.11.0.0.1157 as before, I can't say it was ever the cause. Very nicely, it came in by itself during the clean install.

I love v.1703. The new annoyance is a message in Action Center...

Before this, I was getting it for the Realtek HD Audio driver. But that has stopped, I think because I blocked it using WUShowHide - but I don't see it in the list of blocked drivers. Nevertheless, I've rolled back the INT33C, & I'll block it when it shows up. But v.1703 is quick to boot & running great! All of my reinstalled apps are working fine.

Regarding your issue, you still have MEI v.11.6.0.1042 available through Device Manager? And that still is a perfect cure? I think you should take it & stop the experimentation. As I recall it, both the Dell site & Support Assist would repeatedly ask I reinstall that one. Support Assist would download & install it itself on my OK. I don't recall it ask that I go to the site. You've got a newer version.

May 10th, 2017 02:00

Yes, v.11.6.0.1042 is still available through Device Manager if I chose to update there.  But there's no point in doing that.

No, that's not a perfect cure as it was the cause of my shutdown issue.  After I rolled back to Dell's v11.5.0.1019 driver the shutdown issue disappeared.

There's no need for me to experiment any more.  About 10 days ago the SupportAssist and SupportAssistAgent programs in Programs & Features have updated themselves to newer versions (v1.3.6855.212 and v1.4.2.2 respectively).  That fixed the looping reinstall issue and I am no longer repeatedly asked to reinstall.

If anyone still has the looping reinstall issue in SupportAssist I would suggest looking in Windows Task Scheduler for the name "Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate", right-click the name and choose Run.  Mine is set to auto run weekly by default, YMMV.

Glad to hear you're happy with your recent upgrade.

May 10th, 2017 02:00

Thank you. Glad you have found a cure. I bequeath my expertise on the issue to you, as I no longer have Support Assist. And you sound as knowledgeable on it as I ever was anyhow. Good going.

134 Posts

December 20th, 2017 12:00

Hi

I am not as tech savvy as you.

Have an issue with Intel Manager Engin, it seems not working at all. 

Windows defender says there is an issue with this driver, but is not able to repair.

Error message in event manager is:

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware (FWSTS0: 0x1E000042, FWSTS1: 0x66002106).

Current version is 11.7.0.1032

When I launch automatic update - windows says I have the best driver installed.

I downloaded version 11.0.0.1153, A00 at Dell which indeed is much older.

Should I manually install this old version, or would this make things worse? I am able to use my laptop, but its slow. Boot time is extremely long.

Thanks in advance

December 20th, 2017 21:00

I'm not quite overly tech savvy, myself, & I've bequeath my expertise to FrankAPhonic. But here goes...

(1) What is the system model reported in MSInfo32 (ask Cortana)?

We could find your specific site for a possible article about it & see what version is there. Also, there may be a BIOS or other firmware update. Current BIOS version also shows in MSInfo32. You should check that all your installed drivers are the same or higher versions than at the site.

(2) What shows up in the "Update Driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick" box in Device Manager? (I'm surprised I see only one there, although ...1157 replaced ...1153.)

(3) Where did you get v.11.7.0.1032 from, & is v.11.0.0.1153 what is at your site?

My own Inspiron 3542 site still offers only v.11.0.0.1153. That one worked fine, but had the minor glitch reported earlier. As reported earlier, Device Manager (search automatically) finally brought in v...1157 to end the glitch. For you to achieve this...

(a) Uninstall the management engine interface in Device Manager - choosing not to keep files.

If you keep the files, it seeks to reinstall that same version.

(b) Reboot for Device Manager to detect & reinstall the device & driver.

Hopefully, it finds the right stuff on its own.

134 Posts

December 20th, 2017 22:00

Hi PCR Just PCR thanks for responding.

First of, msinfo32 says 10.0.16299  (could not install the next update, that had destroyed my boot sector last friday night and it took me 3 days to recover and restore).

Next, I am unable to update my Bios, cuze my battery is dead, and there is no way to get a new one, since batteries can't be shipped by air anymore, and there is no available ground transportation to my country. Also, it seems to be out of stock anyway. (Inspiron 3437).

(3)

Yes, on my Dell website I downloaded the version 11.0.0.1153 (release oct 2015).

But the current installed version, as shown in device manager, is 11.7.0.1032... since there is a 7 instead of 0, I guess it is a more recent version. I got this from within the windows updater, or from the intel website, where you can run a diagnostic for your machine. (don't remember exactly, I updated all my drivers some weeks ago)

Windows says that this one is the most recent and best for me, although it does not work (does not start).

Okay, I could uninstall this driver. How do I get it installed again after this?

Dumb question, I know. :-D Prefer to ask before deleting it.

If I just reboot the machine it will start to look again for this driver?

Thanks a lot for your help

134 Posts

December 20th, 2017 23:00

PS It seems like this new version has appeared today. And it had overwritten the previous one.

What if I run the Dell Driver installation Pack (version oct 2015)?

December 21st, 2017 00:00

(1) I BINGed your error message "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware (FWSTS0: 0x1E000042, FWSTS1: 0x66002106)" & was greeted with grim reading. But I haven't read them all. So far, they did all the things I will ask you to do without success. But I think you should try it anyway. Maybe go read some.

(2) So, your site is...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-14-3437/drivers

Support for Inspiron 3437

Good to see it has Win 10 drivers. There was no article there specifically mentioning the problem.

(3) What makes you think you need a battery to update the BIOS?

In fact, the computer should be plugged in for it. The battery won't be used. If you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), definitely use that. But the process will be quick. Your site has BIOS version A10. What was in MSInfo32? If less, download & click A10. Be sure not to unplug the computer until it is done. The computer will reboot, install it, & reboot again.

(4) Next, update the Intel Chipset Driver, if lesser than v.10.1.1.7.

Your current version is shown in Device Manager under System Devices. It is this group, though yours may be a different series...

First, "search automatically" for them individually. (I got v.10.1.1.38 for each that way.) If that fails, then take the download.

(5) Take the Intel Management Engine Components Installer.

I don't have one of those at my site. Your site offers v.11.7.0.1035. If you see lesser in Device Manager, take the one from the site, if "search automatically" won't get it. If it isn't showing in Device Manager, look at "START, Settings, Apps, Programs & Features". If lesser, take the one from the site.

(6) Examine the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver in Device Manager.

Maybe (5) fixed it. If not, you've got two choices in "Let me pick" & one at the site to try.

Yes - if you uninstall the device in Device Manager, the device & its driver will reinstall upon reboot. A "delete the driver software for this driver" checkbox shows up during the uninstall. Supposedly, selecting  it will cause that one not to automatically reinstall. But something will download & reinstall.

EDIT:

(7) What OS Build is at "START, Settings, System, About"...?...

(8) Where did you get the service pack from? I would try the above first.

134 Posts

December 21st, 2017 05:00

(1) Yes *sigh*

(3) What makes me think I need a battery to update my Bios is the error message I get when I try to install the update. Something like "install a battery and retry". It doesn't let me process without a battery.

(4) yup Chipset Driver is version 1.0.1.1.7 

(5) Hum, unfortunately my site offers 1.0.0.1153 - how can I get the v11.7.0.1.35?

(6) The "Let me pick" option tells me I have the best driver installed. 

(7)

I am stuck with this version because the next update crashed my system. Microsoft support had no other option to advise then disable all updates

(8) I got the installation pack from my Dell support site (as shown in point (2) but it's the old 2015 version (see under (5)

PS did not dare to uninstall the IME yet. Afraid of unexpected events.

December 21st, 2017 20:00

(1) I didn't know that about BIOS updates. All of mine were done with the battery inserted. If your BIOS is less than v.A10, you should try again to get a new battery. How can portable computers be sold, if batteries won't be shipped?

(2) My chipset drivers were that version too, & still are at my own site. I was able to upgrade them by clicking "search automatically" in Device Manager for each of those. I don't think this solves the problem, but higher is better, I think, just like bank accounts.

(3) Your site offers v.10.0.0.1153 for the Engine Interface. But I see v.v11.7.0.1.35 for the Intel Management Engine Components Installer. It is just above the Engine Interface. Here it is...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=4J8MX

Intel Management Engine Components Installer

I'm unsure what it does, whether it brings in an Engine Interface of that version or not. Try it, as I said. Then, check what it did - if anything - to the Engine Interface, as I said. Then play with the Interface only if it hasn't been fixed.

(4) Try the installation pack, if the above doesn't work. Maybe try the Intel site first to see what it has...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=management+engine

Search downloads

But I don't see my own v.11.0.0.1157 there - & I'm not tempted by the greater versions I see in light of your experience.

(5) I would want to be able to update to latest OS Build 16299.125. Tell me more about the crash it caused. Are you it did it?

134 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 04:00

Yes, finally I found the component installer. But I had to untick my service tag to see it. Will try to install it. *fingercross*

All kind of Li batteries (without a computer wrapped around) can't be shipped by air anymore because of new security rules. Can't even order a little powerbank for my smartphone somewhere.

And without a battery, no Bios update on Dell Laptops! Weird.

Regarding the recent windows update crash (KB4054517), it damaged windows boot manager on my machine, so I wasn't able to boot anymore (no bootable device found). I had a hard time to find a solution without reinstalling windows. Microsoft assistance had no clue. But they now confirm there is a bug.

www.askwoody.com/.../

Thank you :-)

No Events found!