SupportAssist for PCs

Last reply by 12-12-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

SupportAssistAppwiseexe

Many, many times per day, I get an on-screen message that states "SupportAssistAppWise,exe, App could not be started."  When I try to take corrective action, I get a message that tells me that only the "Administrator" can take such action.

I am the original purchaser/owner of the computer, and the only person who has ever used the computer. Who/where is this mysterious "Administrator," and how do I contact them to get this "glitch" corrected?  Mars, Jupiter, perhaps Croatia?

Replies (4)
10 Diamond

You should always include PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

And in this case, the version of SupportAssist that's installed, too.

You could always disable or uninstall SupportAssist, if you don't want/need it...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

4 Tellurium

@Starbubba wrote:

Many, many times per day, I get an on-screen message that states "SupportAssistAppWise,exe, App could not be started."  When I try to take corrective action, I get a message that tells me that only the "Administrator" can take such action....

Hi Starbubba:

Did you mean SupportAssistAppWire.exe (i.e., not SupportAssistAppWise.exe) that is normally located in the C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\ folder?

As RoHe noted <above>, it would be helpful to know your computer model, Windows operating system and current version of SupportAssist [launch SupportAssist and go to Options (gear icon) | About] so we can offer suggestions that are tailored to your system configuration. If you have a Win 10 OS, your version and build can be found at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications (or just enter winver in the Run Dialog box).

Dell SupportAssist v3_10_4_18 Check Current Version 12 Dec 2021.png

Does you Windows user account have Standard or Administrator rights? If you aren't sure and have a Win 10 OS check at Settings | Accounts | Your Info. For older operating systems see the MS support article How to Determine Your User Account Type in Windows.

Win 10 v20H2 Settings Account Administrator Rights 12 Jul 2021.png

Dell employee DELL-Chris M's has posted instructions for performing a clean reinstall of SupportAssist in SA Uninstall/Reinstall that is pinned at the top of this SupportAssist for PCs forum and might solve your problem.  Note that those instructions require the uninstall of all SupportAssist-related programs (including the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update, Dell SupportAssist Remediation, etc, if installed) before reinstalling SupportAssist.  From my Inspiron 5584 with Win 10 Pro v21H1:

Win 10 Pro v21H1 Control Panel Dell Programs Installed 09 Dec 2021.png

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1348 * Firefox v95.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v.4.18.2110.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.11.149-1.0.1513 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.0.16041 * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.4.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Yes, of course, the text should be WIRE and not Wise!  Computer is Inspiron 24-5475.

When I tried to uninstall SupportAssist, I get the message that my "Administrator" is the only one that can uninstall the program.  Again, I am the original purchaser/owner, and the only one who has used the computer.  Hence, I don't know why there should be this unknown "Administrator," or where he/she is located, and what business it is of theirs!

10 Diamond

@Starbubba  - You still haven't told us what version of Windows and what version of SupportAssist is installed.

How are you trying to uninstall SupportAssist?

@lmacri gave you a lot of good info and things to check, like logging into an account with Administrator privileges and checking (lowering) the User Account Control setting. 

You could also install Revo Uninstaller (free) and use that to uninstall SupportAssist. When it gets to the screens showing what files, folders, etc got left over after the uninstall, delete only those entries shown in bold, and nothing else, especially not anything shown in red.

And if all else fails, and you don't want/need SupportAssist, just disable it on the Startup tab in Task Manager....

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor