2 Bronze

XPS 8930, stop popups for BIOS 1.0.10?

I keep getting popup reminders to install the BIOS 1.0.10 update but there are no details explaining what it does and why it's necessary.  It does say "Urgent" but again no explanation of why it's urgent. I currently have 1.0.7 which came with the computer when I bought it. I have the XPS 8930 SE. I'm always extremely reluctant to mess with the BIOS when my pc is running well and mine is. Any explanations as to why this one is "Urgent" or is that the wording for all BIOS updates? Is it related to Meltdown and Spectre? You recommend updating BIOS in order. Where would I find 1.0.8 and 1.0.9? My current 1.0.7 is dated January 26, 2018. Have there really been 3 BIOS updates since January? 

Thanks.

Edit: I found older BIOS versions and they all say "Urgent". I also found the description for 10. To me, it's exactly the opposite of urgent and I'll pass on it. How do I stop the constant popup reminders?

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes:
- Not Applicable.

Enhancements:
- Improved the memory compatibility for 2666MHz memory modules.
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: XPS 8930, stop popups for BIOS 1.0.10?

Agreed, not urgent.

I only install a BIOS update to correct a specific issue I have. I never update a BIOS just because it is newer.

The only way to stop the popups is to uninstall the Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssist Agent.

* Right-click the Start menu button and select Control Panel
* Under Programs, select Uninstall a program
* In the list of programs, locate and select Dell SupportAssist
* At the top of the window, select Uninstall
* When done, locate and select Dell SupportAssist Agent
* At the top of the window, select Uninstall
* When done, restart the computer

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Thanks for the excellent advice!

Are there any good reasons for keeping SupportAssist?

0 Kudos

In my opinion, SA is good for the following =
* Repairing your system
* Backing up your personal files
* Restoring your computer to factory state
* Manually starting SupportAssist OS Recovery

So there are positives to the software. I just wish it had the option to stop the driver reminders.

0 Kudos