Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2018 10:00

Dell SupportAssist 3.0.0.0 does not run

Hi,
I got an automated SupportAssist update today from the Microsoft Store but it does not work.
The recent applicatin release 3.0.0.0 is name Dell SupportAssist.
After bootup I get opens a command promt but nothing happens and there is no startup.
I need to close the command window by hand.
My pc already has a SupportAssist application, release 2.2.0.253 that works well.
The manual update request is the answer to using the latest release.
I now have two SupportAssist applications, but its name is not the same! Dell SupportAssist and SupportAssist.

My Computer: Dell Vostro 15 3568
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 1803 bulid 17134.48

Thanks.

2 Posts

June 5th, 2018 13:00

Agreed. Dell uses this program to distinguish them form the competition. It does! The people at Dell should prepare updates properly, and not use our computers for shoddy experiments. Lab rats arise.

June 7th, 2018 03:00

After much back and forth with Dell support, I'm now being told they are blocking driver updates through SA until the new version is released and they can fix it. It would seem 2.2.0.253 is still the latest for now. No ETA on new version. This whole thing is just embarrassing. Too many mixed messages to even know what is right. Yay, Dell. :smileyfrustrated:

June 7th, 2018 05:00

I think the Dell as the SA is the same as the spectre and meltdown blocking in Intel. :(

1 Message

June 9th, 2018 23:00

I also had the SA 3.0.0.0 problem on an XPS 8920 running Windows 10 Pro.

However, the replacement version 2.2.1.23 which installed automatically (and removed v. 3.0.0.0), also does not run. The application freezes on the first screen, and when that is closed an error report is sent to Microsoft. Errror logs indicate that SA 2.2.1.23 stopped communicating with Windows.

Anyone else have the same problem?

June 12th, 2018 07:00

Dell SupportAssist (version 2.2.1.23) not run, crashes after starting.
how do I fix it?

I am very angry, please help me!

June 12th, 2018 08:00

SupportAssist hand uninstalling, then installation again from this place: 
Download Dell SupportAssist

The release number it is the same as the former (2.2.1.23)

Is currently working.
The fault was not mine.

1 Message

June 14th, 2018 04:00

Programmet SupportAssistUI.exe versjon 2.2.1.23 sluttet å samhandle med Windows og ble lukket. Hvis du vil se om det finnes mer informasjon tilgjengelig om problemet, åpner du problemloggen i kontrollpanelet for Sikkerhet og vedlikehold.

Prosess-ID: 3138

Starttidspunkt: 01d403ce46558c78

Avslutningstidspunkt: 10

Programbane: C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssistUI.exe

Rapport-ID: 4aae7453-0cc7-4faf-957a-0e474d072dac

Fullstendig navn på feilpakke:

Relativ program-ID for feilpakke:

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 12:00

I just came off a call with a Dell technician.  SupportAssist version 3.0 is due to be released by the end of June.  Dell is aware that there are issues with the current 2.2.0.253 version.  The fix was to uninstall and reinstall and it now works.  Also, according to the technician, Windows will inform users when version 3.0 is available.

June 21st, 2018 08:00

Hi

38 Posts

June 25th, 2018 02:00

I found this solution in a different thread on the topic, and it worked perfectly!

• Go to this folder:  C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\Resources
  • Find the file there that's named:  New-Dell-Logo-White-Small.png  (you may not see the ".png" extension)
  • Rename that file.  Remove the "-Small" from the end of the filename.  It should simply be named "New-Dell-Logo-White.png "

That's all there is to it!

25 Posts

June 25th, 2018 02:00

Something very wrong seems to be ongoing at Dell on this development. 

I commented about one month ago on the version 3.0.0.0 which was automatically downloaded on the XPS 9360 of my daughter by the Microsoft Store. I had reinstalled the version 2.2.1.23 and it was working fine.

Two weeks ago that software was not starting, I reinstalled it again. Now, looking at the downloaded Programms of the Microsoft Store of that PC it is indicated that a version 1.2.0.0 of the SupportAssist was downloaded on 17 June and installed (by Dell???). Looking instead at list of the installed Programs in that PC I still have the version 2.2.1.23 which is so far working fine. Also, opening the SupportAssist, the Programme version is 2.2.1.23

In conclusion, my recommendation:

Please, Dell, stop forcing installations through the Microsoft Store. Please inform via e-mail that a new version is available and ready to install via the Microsoft Store.

Please, Dell ,stop developing applications which may be conflicting with similar applications already part of Windows utilities. I am NOT using the the Programme optimisations of the SupportAssist, I have in Windows the utilities to clean the disk and to optimise it which do a good job, I have Windows utilities to test the memory and the PC hardware. 

Please, Dell, focus the SupportAssist on the Drivers updates, that is useful.

Please, Dell, define and perform yourself the testing program of the software you want to distribute before making it available for delivery. Do not rely on third parties developments without close control, supervision and independent testing by Dell of what is planned and executed.  

38 Posts

June 25th, 2018 03:00

I should have made it clear that my solution posted above (and repeated below) applies to the situation where SupportAssist 2.2.1.23 freezes at the opening screen ("Not Responding")....

I found this solution in a different thread on the topic, and it worked perfectly!

• Go to this folder:  C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\Resources
  • Find the file there that's named:  New-Dell-Logo-White-Small.png  (you may not see the ".png" extension)
  • Rename that file.  Remove the "-Small" from the end of the filename.  It should simply be named "New-Dell-Logo-White.png "

That's all there is to it!

1 Message

July 2nd, 2018 23:00

You gotta be kidding. Renaming a ".png file?.   You are absolutely correct. It WORKS. Thanks so much!!!

1 Message

July 6th, 2018 23:00

I can't believe that this trick worked. It took a min to get the name to be labeled correctly but it absolutely worked. I have sent my brand spanking new Dell laptop in to be serviced twice now and they never fixed this problem. Apparently they don't know how to fix this, yet I got online, figured out the source of the problem and fixed it the problem. I've had this laptop for less than 2 months. Good going Dell... 

5 Posts

October 1st, 2018 19:00

Why it is said solution has been fixed?It is not solved!!!

No Events found!