Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

219 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 24-5459 AIO "Incorrect Media"

I ran a Dell SupportAssist hardware scan. Everything passed, except the hard drive was flagged in red for "Incorrect Media" . Got any idea what that means? I don't have any noticeable hard drive issues, just that failed test result.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Again Errors are Numeric.

Without complete information there are no answers.

Error code appendix

The following table lists the error codes, error messages, and possible resolutions.

Error code Error message Possible resolution
SA_104 Collection component is not supported. n/a
SA_105 SupportAssist component installation is unsuccessful. If the problem persists, the log files may be required for further troubleshooting. Contact Dell technical support for assistance.
SA_106 SupportAssist component is not available. If the problem persists, the log files may be required for further troubleshooting. Contact Dell technical support for assistance.
SA_108 SupportAssist is unable to run a collection component on . Ensure that the Administrator credentials you have provided for the device in SupportAssist is correct.
1000_1 SupportAssist is unable to run a collection component on because the component is not supported on the operating system running on the device. For information on the supported devices and operating systems, see the Dell SupportAssist for Dell OpenManage Essentials Support Matrix at Dell.com/ServiceabilityTools.
1000_2 SupportAssist is unable to run a collection component on because of an internal error. If the problem persists, the log files may be required for further troubleshooting. Contact Dell technical support for assistance.
1000_3 SupportAssist is unable to run a collection component on because the connection interface is not supported. Ensure that:
  • The device is reachable.

• Ports 22, 23, 80, 135, 443, 1311, 2463, and 5989 are open on the device.

1000_4 SupportAssist cannot run a collection component on because the device does not have an Enterprise license. Perform the following:
  1. Upgrade to Enterprise license.

2. Navigate to the Devices tab, select the device, and then click Send System Logs.

1000_5 SupportAssist is unable to run a collection component on . Perform the following:
  1. Ensure that the Administrator credentials you have provided for the device in SupportAssist is correct.

2. Navigate to the Devices tab, select the device, and then click Send System Logs.

1000_6 SupportAssist is unable to run a collection component on . Ensure the following:
  • Provide the Administrator credentials for the device in SupportAssist.

• Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) is installed and the OMSA services are running on the device.

• iDRAC firmware is updated, if applicable.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Errors are numeric such as

2000:0141

Without complete information there are no answers.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln115162/

• The 2000-8NNN informative messages below are unlikely to be displayed unless they deal with removable devices or media.
  • Depending on the version of the BIOS on your computer the results may change concerning the component listed. Make note of not only the ePSA error and validation code, but which component is listed

219 Posts

The test failure I got was from SupportAssist, not from ePSA or PSA. As the note shown on the ref link you provided, SupportAssist runs a different test. I get no ePSA errors.I'm trying to figure out what "Incorrect Media" means in the SupprtAssist hardware scan.

219 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 09:00

Thanks. I don't get any of the error messages shown. Just the cryptic message, Incorrect Media. Here's a screenshot:

SupportAssist Test ResultSupportAssist Test Result

Nothing on that page is a link.

1 Message

May 15th, 2019 18:00

I get the same results as Incorrect Media on the hard drive. Apparently, nobody knows what that means.  Mine will go black screen once in a while and flash in and out of black screen.  The only way to get it out of black screen is to put the computer to sleep and then wake it up.  It is a good thing I have a second monitor hooked to my AIO or I would have never figured that one out.  After tons of troubleshooting by Dell it never has been solved.  So between our Incorrect Media and Black screen issues, I conclude gremlins inhabit our AIO systems.

219 Posts

May 16th, 2019 05:00

It's been 6 months or so since I originally had this problem and it has apparently resolved on its own. I haven't had any drive issues, and I'm no longer getting the Incorrect Media error message. Maybe my gremlin migrated to your machine. If we're both lucky, maybe it'll migrate somewhere else. Just wanted to let you know that the message apparently is not signaling impending doom. But knowing how Dell gremlins work, it'll probably be back immediately after posting this reply. :)

1 Message

July 27th, 2019 15:00

I just ran Dell SupportAssist on my XPS8700 and got the same message  

Hard Drive - Incorrect Media

My computer seems to be working correctly but this odd error message is worrisome.

Based on responses posted by others, no one has any ideas to offer re this message.

There has been a recent change to my hard drive:  I replaced the 256gb mSATA SSD with a 500gb mSATA SSD.  I used Acronis True Image to clone the new drive from the old one.  The process was very simple and quick.

No Events found!