OpenManage Enterprise and SupportAssist Enterprise again
We have 346 iDRAC 7,8,9 working fine in OpenManage Enterprise 3.1.0 We installed SupportAssist Enterprise 126.96.36.199 with OME Adapter 188.8.131.52 in a Linux Suse 11.4 VMware virtual machine. We are facing 2 problems: 1) OME Adapter always gets stuck at: Assigning Profiles - 345 of 346 In Progress 2) discovered Devices are Managed (275) Staging (0) Inactive (0) Not Managed (1) this one is just our SAE Linux server
Seems like it cannot see many iDRACs, and/or OEM Adapter cannot end its task. I tried restarting SAE + OME Adapter, I tried running a site inventory validation: the number of discovered devices varies but we never have all 346 iDRACs and many are missing.