Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

C

12 Posts

May 21st, 2018 12:00

SA, latest version not working

I downloaded the latest version of SA (Support Assist) (Version 2) a few days ago.When I try to open it, it tries to load but won't load properly (icon just continues to flash and flash), with a message that optimization tools are loading.

The same problem occurs when I try to open it as administrator. There is no option to repair this app when I go to Settings. The only 2 options are "modify" or "uninstall"

This new version of Support Assist is installed on both my XPS 8930.

Is any body else having a problem with this latest version? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

48 Posts

February 7th, 2019 22:00

Well I just got the "Invalid value for registry today" on one computer and I am running SA 3.1.0.142, the latest version I believe. I actually started a new discussion this afternoon because I could not find one dealing with the error I got until late tonight. The workaround works for me but it is time consuming . Clicking on the app in the start list does nothing, just see a white line but nothing appears on screen. Since the change in SA last year this has been a hit and miss procedure for me. The old SA was at least dependable. I have had to uninstall and reinstall the latest SA a number of times. But at least up to now when reinstalled it worked, not today. When it works it is a good tool to have but given the time to research an error, worry that your machine may have a systemic problem and then look for a solution once you have narrowed down the error is very time consuming. While I appreciate the work around, why doesn't Dell just put out a message once known errors are found with an update. Looks like this error has been around for sometime. I should have known of it so when it occurred I would realize it was a SA error and not spend precious time checking out all over the web myself. Plus the time uninstalling and reinstalling! Errors do happen (witness the number with each MS update). Good service lets customers know that there is an error and there is a workaround and will let them know that it is being worked on. Please try that. And thank you for the workaround that I was eventually able to locate. Hopefully it will continue to work until a solution if found,

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 10:00

I have been uninstalling and reinstalling all day but will not open, I went into its mainframe setting and even set up a new administrator. its just not working no matter what I do. I'm very frustrated!

1 Message

February 18th, 2019 09:00

I had similar problem.  When I started SupportAssist it stalled at the hardware scan.  I reopened SupportAssist and instead of clicking on "START" I clicked on the large down arrow at the bottom of the start page.  That  brings up the SupportAssist  scan page.  Instead of clicking on "RUN ALL" I clicked on the Hardware Scan "'Run" button.  The Hardware Scan ran successfully.  I then  successfully ran the remaining scans by pushing their  individual  "RUN" buttons.  I then went back and reopened the start page, clicked on "START"  and the program now runs ran without a problem.  Go figure !

3 Posts

February 19th, 2019 12:00

I have 5 Dell laptops. Four of them are a few years old and do not have Support Assist pre-loaded. I have attempted to install this rubbish programme from Dell on 3 of them running Windows 7 using 2 different routers at 2 different locations and the same thing happens each time - namely when you click on the downloaded link to install them a message says "there has been an error, possibly the internet connection was interrupted. Please try again". Needless to say I could (and have) spent hours trying to install this **bleep** and it fails every single time. Different computers and different very reliable internet connections. I don't actually want Support Assist but when I re-install the OS I have to install the drivers and their **bleep** site won't let me do it unless I have Support Assist - which won't install. DELL ARE

19 Posts

February 19th, 2019 23:00

'Installation cancelled.

We encountered an error while validating the catalog file. This may be due to a lost internet connection. Check your connection and try again.'

There is no internet connection problem.

Uninstalling first does not help.

Win 10 x64 v1803 build 17134.590

Please Dell. This is REALLY poor. Newish XPS 13, and no driver or software updates!

Any ETA for a fix?

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

February 19th, 2019 23:00

Hi paulderdash, We are already working on this issue and this issue might get resolved by EOD today will update you once production deployment done. Thanks NikhilKiroula #iwork4Dell

19 Posts

February 20th, 2019 00:00

Thanks Nikhil - thanks for your swift reply and good news!

Looking forward to a solution.

February 20th, 2019 09:00

I have been trying to install Support Assist on a Dell 7490 for the last hour and it is still not working, I keep getting a message that this app can't run on your PC. I am running Windows 10 1709

February 20th, 2019 15:00

Had a top of the range XPS15 for a couple of years with nothing but trouble...have used dell laptops and PCs eversince they started with little or no trouble EXCEPT FOR THE XPS 15....fortunately purchased premium support which appears essential to keep the wretched device going,,,Dell SupportAssist software  has also been a constant problem over the years, disappearing, freezing, wrong version  ....  three weeks ago was it’s last disappearance and dell replaced with a non working version.,...just finished the latest 3.5 hour session with yet again failure to reinstall working version... another call scheduled tomorrow for hours of who knows what....

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

February 21st, 2019 06:00

Hi paulderdash, This issue should be resolved now…within the last hour. Try these steps… Uninstall SupportAssist via the Control Panel if available Then delete these directories C:\ProgramData\PCDr C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent (if able to) OR Try installing via Dell web-site, download and right click and run as administrator https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe Thanks DELL-NikhilK #iwork4Dell

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

February 21st, 2019 08:00

19 Posts

February 21st, 2019 08:00

This worked for me.

Uninstalled, deleted folders as indicated (SupportAssistAgent did not exist). Installed as admin (had to bypass some 'suspicious' warnings from Emsisoft AntiMalware).

Installed Intel Chipset Device Software Driver update. Scan Hardware does not work as before ('An unexpected error occurred while running this request'), though it did initially, some time ago now.

Some faith resored. Thanks Nikhil.

My guess is that Windows 10 updates mess with this.

19 Posts

February 21st, 2019 22:00

Thanks Joe.

1 Message

February 24th, 2019 12:00

I have been having the same issue for several months. Please assist. 

48 Posts

February 25th, 2019 15:00

"Invalid value for registry"  Do the directions you gave also apply if getting the invalid value for registry  error and cannot open support assist?

No Events found!