Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 10th, 2017 08:00

SNMP- what is its purpose?

We have SAE installed on a Windows 2012 server but the SNMP is not configured. The SNMP feature is not added on the server. We called Dell Server support and were told that we would still receive email alerts, based on the Alerts Management setting (Off/On) in OMSA  without SNMP configured. Is that true?

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

November 10th, 2017 11:00

I am not familiar with email alerts but if you don’t configure SNMP service and settings on the SAE server and set the alert destination the alert won’t be forwarded to the server where SupportAssist Enterprise is installed (local box).  This is nothing to do with emails.  SAE can received alerts from other devices monitored with SNMP not configured on the SAE server as long as the monitored device has SNMP enabled and alert destination is SAE server.  Nor sure if that answers your question.

18 Posts

November 10th, 2017 15:00

Yes I think it does answer my  question. I was told that OMSA alone did not have capability to send email when there was an alert. But if we installed SAE, then SAE would get alert from OMSA, and SAE has the capability to send email when there is an alert. SAE also sends alert to Dell support -(-or maybe then Dell Support emails primary contact in SAE?). However I think SAE is only going to get alert if SNMP is installed/configured on the device that we want the alerts from --in our case this is the server where SAE is installed.  So the answer is we do have to install SNMP and configure the service on the device (ie  the Windows 2012 Server).

No Events found!