Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

February 12th, 2018 04:00

X51-R3, BIOS 1.2.11, SSD not recognized

Hi,

I upgraded my Alien X51 R3 to latest BIOS, 1.2.11, 

However after the upgrade, the SSD drive (system drive) is not recognized by BIOS anymore. I still can boot manually to Window Boot Manager (SSD drive). In Alienware BIOS setting there is no option to turn on the SSD (though I could see it as a second HDD). DOes nayone know how to change the BIOS setting to recognize the second drive? Or worst case I'll just have to downgrade the BIOS to the previous version, though I didn't back up my previous BIOS version, can anyone send me a cope of the previous BIOS before 1.2.11 ?

Many Thanks.

Kim.

1 Message

April 6th, 2018 18:00

Same Here......Boot option for SSD (msata) drive has disappeared. I can only choose the original internal Drive (2TB ST HDD) as boot. The SSD is listed under drives as msata, but boot device option does not list it. The system in this configuration (with SSD) used to work for the longest time (almost 1.5 years) until this update. I can "force" load windows by going into the boot menu (F12) and choosing HDD2 (which is the SSD drive), but that's dumb. Please fix this. I've even tried to reflash the old bioses (all the way back to the original), it does not work. Something changed during 1.2.11 update, none of the older bioses recognize the SSD drive anymore.

Is there going to be a fix for this?

1 Message

December 16th, 2018 16:00

I'm having the same problem with my X51 R3. Was booting fine on bios 1.2.1, updated to 1.2.13, as recommended by the auto update system!!!!, and the ability to boot from msata disappeared. msata drive is still recognized but it is not listed as a bootable drive and there appears to be no way to add it as bootable. I've tried switching between legacy and UEFI boot modes, and ensured that the msata drive is set to AHCI but none of that has changed the situation. I am able to force it boot from the msata by hitting F12 at startup and forcing it to use the msata, but obviously that's not ideal.  I have yet to see any information on what is going on here, plenty of problems with the newer versions of this bios but few solutions.

590 Posts

December 17th, 2018 11:00

Might be worth trying to reset the BIOS to defaults, and if that doesn't work reset the CMOS.  BIOS might need to clear its memory and/or redetect hardware.  I'd probably take pics of all BIOS setting screens before, so as to know what to put settings back to if needed (meaning current settings are different from Defaults).

You could also try booting once without the drive in.  Maybe BIOS would then re-detect it as bootable once it's re-installed.

If the above doesn't work, I think Dell needs to fix this.

No Events found!