Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

November 5th, 2017 09:00

Support Assist claims hard drive failing; hard drive tests pass

When I boot my PC, Support Assist reports Hard Drive not found and says a part is failing and must be replaced. I have run all the Dell Hard Drive Diagnostics (Short HD Test, Full Test, Conveyance Test) and it passes all of them. I often have to reboot my PC over and over before I finally get to the login screen. This mostly happens when I am booting my PC but occasionally will pop up when I'm using it. I have also tried Hard Disk Sentinel and it reports "The Hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors."

This problem started after a Dell Update. Last night I went to Control Panel to remove the program and saw it listed twice, once with a September date and another with a date of 11/4/2017. This morning, there is only one version. I still had to spend about 30 minutes to boot successfully. 

The only support I have received is that the drive will be replaced and I will lose all data. I got this PC last spring and the drive is already dead?(It's a Seagate barracuda.) The other support I received is 4 phone calls at 1 am EST after I told them my time zone and asked to be called during the day.

So now I have disabled the following Service: Dell Support Assist Agent

Anything else I need to disable? Anybody else experience this problem? 

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

November 6th, 2017 16:00

Hi Epidem,  We truly understand and sorry for the inconvenience it is causing. We will help to resolve it.  Could you please share service tag of your system and following logs for our team to troubleshoot to identify the root cause.

1. Open command prompt as administrator and navigate to

2. Execute pcdrcui.exe -enabledebuglogs

3. Close command prompt so no process has a lock on the folder.

4. Open SupportAssist and reproduce the issue (Hard drive not found alert)

5. Close application or any browser sessions which may have launched the application.

6. Open an ADMIN command prompt and navigate to

7. Execute LogGrabber.exe

8. When that is completed, run the following from the command prompt:

9. Pcdrcui.exe -disabledebuglogs

10. Locate pcd_logs.zip which is created on the desktop and share it with us.

Thanks,

Dell- Kumar

6 Posts

November 6th, 2017 17:00

I have been working on this issue with Sampath Rajkumar for quite some time. It is Dell System Incident # 37183388 . I sent him email this past weekend but he was away. So I sent it to Advanced Resolutions. I am still waiting for an answer.

The problem occurs at random. It is not reproducible all the time. So I cannot follow your instructions.

I have been informed there is an issue in SupportAssist and it is known. However, I have not received the bug fix. I do not think there is one.

I am going to uninstall Support Assist. I will use Control Panel to do this. Will this cause any problems with my computer? Does Support Assist have hooks into any other files that will cause those files to crash?

This problem has existed since the beginning of October. It lessened for a while so I put up with it. At that time, they wanted to give me a new hard drive and take my old one, which had very important data which I did not want to lose. So I put up with the bug.

I also did not perform any dell updates because I don't trust them any more.

When the problem came back, I performed a dell update and it has been happening far too often since then. Whatever was in that latest update - which I installed on Nov 4 2017 - made my computer less stable.

8 Posts

November 10th, 2017 10:00

I'm getting supremely annoyed with Support Assist and all its failings. Since the day I bought this laptop (August 2017) it has been randomly telling me the fan motor fails to start, when I can feel and hear the fan running. I've removed all the files and folders I could find associated with Support Assist from the system as directed in another thread; a search turns up no further versions or files, but I'm still getting the Support Assist alarms. When Windows updated at the end of October, I set it to install while I was (planning to be) asleep. Only every restart Windows required for the install set off Support Assist's failing-fan notification alarm and woke up the whole house. I've wasted far too much time on this already and am seriously wishing I'd NEVER chosen a Dell laptop.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

November 10th, 2017 11:00

Do you have a screen shot, I'm now wondering if it's really SupportAssist or some other app.

8 Posts

Joe, I've done all of that. And I've gone back again and again following those same steps... but still have Support Assist pop up when I wake my laptop up or turn it on after it's been shut down. Ready to rip out my hair.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

janfrn - if you removed SA and it's files and folders I wouldn't think you'd be getting any notifications.

You could try this:

• From the Control Panel, uninstall Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssistAgent.

• Remove the following directories by opening start menu and run %appdata%\

• Remove PCDr

• Run %programdata%\  and remove

o PCDr and/or PC-Doctor for Windows and/or PC-Doctor, Inc

you can always install again at

o content.dellsupportcenter.com/.../aulauncher.exe

8 Posts

November 10th, 2017 12:00

I don't. I can't seem to do anything when it's up. The mouse moves very erratically and it takes me several seconds to be able to turn off the speaker. It "says" it's Support Assist... But I can try and grab a screenshot next time I see it.

8 Posts

November 11th, 2017 10:00

Nope, couldn't get a screen shot. Next time I see it I'll get a photo with my phone.

6 Posts

November 11th, 2017 23:00

Made no difference. No, wait, it did --- my computer now freezes and crashes more.

6 Posts

No, SupportAssist freezes the system. It's impossible to run any programs or get a screenshot.

6 Posts

I followed your directions yesterday. Today I had 6 crashes, one right after the other. I had to reboot after every crash, which was difficult because the computer would freeze and I was forced to reboot in a way that is not safe for the machine. Thanks a lot, Dell, for not fixing Support Assist, forcing me to ruin my hard drive while I attempt to use the PC again. Is that your way to get me to purchase another computer? If I do, it won't be from you.

I don't know the cause of the crashes and I don't know why all of a sudden they stop. I have 17 years experience in testing and development and have never encountered such a random issue before. I *will* say one thing ---- since I have uninstalled Support Assist and totally shut my pc down, I should not see it running whenever I start it up later. But it's still there !!! It's not listed in Services, or anywhere else in Task Manager, including StartUp. I've even deleted its folders and it still runs !!  It refuses to uninstall and it gets into my machine  with every boot up. AND it's still in my registry !!

Please make a program to delete Support Assist !!! We're ALL having problems with it and I don't see anybody posting that their problem is fixed !! How Long does it take for you to eliminate this program and fix our problems?

Also, I have requested to be called many times. 95% of the time, I receive a phone call at a time of day that I did not  request. I'm allowed to request a time of day so why do you not call me at that time? I don't sit around and wait for your call - when I specify a time, I expect I will be called then. The last time you called me, I requested a new call at the exact same time but you didn't call me then.

My computer is almost useless. My next plan is to contact management. After that, I'll go to a forum which is not Dell's.

8 Posts

November 16th, 2017 12:00

I managed to catch a screenshot using my phone. 

Hitting ESC does NOT abort the process. The only thing that interrupts it is to turn off the laptop... and then deal with all the issues that causes. There is no predictability as to when this pop-up occurs, no common denominator, if you will. After having followed all of the steps provided by support personnel to remove the software and all its hidden, embedded pieces, the software should be GONE. And it's not.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

November 16th, 2017 13:00

Janfrn – Thank you for the screen shot.  I realize this says SupportAssist but it’s not tied to the SupportAssist Application that is or was installed on the computer.  It’s an Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment (ePSA) diagnostics.  So it makes sense now why you’re still seeing this.  I believe this check is tied to the BIOS and outside of this forum.  Let me ask around internally to see if there is anything you can do to stop or perhaps apply a fix.  Have you called Support and have an SR#?

8 Posts

November 16th, 2017 14:00

No, I haven't called Support. Believing the screen pop-up was SupportAssist and that it had been removed was frustrating enough without spending time on hold while the next available agent became available, explaining the problem to the first voice, being passed to a second voice, going through the whole story again, authorizing remote access and all the other hoops involved in the process. Also, given that the "report" at the end of the diagnostic states the information on the supposedly-failing fan motor has been relayed to Dell and new parts would be dispatched, but never followed up on in any way, I'm seriously unimpressed.

8 Posts

November 17th, 2017 13:00

If this ePSA diagnostic testing process is truly not related to the SupportAssist software/application, might I suggest the screen be changed in future iterations to avoid confusion?

No Events found!