Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

7 Posts

June 5th, 2018 13:00

SupportAssist Not Responding at Launch

I have an XPS 15 9560 Signature Edition with an Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz, 16 GB of RAM, a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and a 500 GB SSD. I have been having issues with Dell SupportAssist for a few weeks now, since the latest update, and need help. When I launch the program, the window pops up and stays idle indefinitely, as if loading content. If I click on the window, a message appears and says that the program is not responding. I dug through some boards and found that some dell moderators or some such were recommending uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I followed the steps to the letter and was just left with a messed up registry and a program that does not work. I couldn't even reinstall the program, because it says I have the latest version, even though I deleted every file specified within the registry and the program files. After I kept trying I was just left with a blue screen and needed to use the last windows save point if I didn't want to lose all of my files and whatnot. I still have the same issue and have not been able to solve it at all. If anyone can offer help, it would be quite welcome.

PS. Dell should work on a program that verifies SupportAssist's file integrity, rather than making me go into the registry and potentially kill my expensive computer.

PPS. I also ended up using Reimage to fix everything in my registry, although nothing could be done about SupportAssist, I assume because it's considered a third party program. 

2 Posts

June 29th, 2018 05:00

Followed the instructions that were in a different thread on this topic, and it worked perfectly!

Here's the fix:

• Go to this folder:  C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\Resources
  • Find the file there that's named:  New-Dell-Logo-White-Small.png  (You probably won't see the ".png" part on the end.)
  • You need to rename that file.  Remove the "-Small" from the end of the filename.  It should simply be named " New-Dell-Logo-White.png "

That's all there is to it! 

I don't know who discovered this or how, but it absolutely worked for me.

1 Message

July 6th, 2018 06:00

This is to confirm the last reply AbSe

This worked 100%

1 Message

July 6th, 2018 09:00

I have the same problem but I find that I not only have the file named New-Dell-Logo-White-Small.png  in that library but there is also a file that is already named New-Dell-Logo-White.png. Not sure if I should just delete the file with the -Small  included or rename it by removing the -Small  and deleting the other one or does it matter which of those two methods I use?

Any thoughts on this?

2 Posts

August 8th, 2018 10:00

Me too.  Have the Alienware 17 inch and support assist sticks at driver updates and won't go any further.

17 Posts

August 14th, 2018 00:00

Hi I understand Dell Support Assist is not working but we always have an option to run the hardware test outside the OS , In Laptop press and hold the Fn key on the keyboard and start the system to run the hardware test- this test is 100 percent accurate- in desktop start the system and keep tapping F12 on the dell logo to go the diagnostic - on F12 screen select diagnostic and hit enter- this will run hardware test in desktop and give you 100 percent accuracy- why to depend on support assist?

However, to fix Dell Support assist uninstall support assist from apps and feature option, In Windows search box type apps and feature and uninstall every program which says support assist.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

Once uninstallation is complete restart the system and then redownload support assist using the below link.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/in/en/inbsdt1/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgeba...

I hope this will fix support assist issue.

In case you still face the issue then use revo uninstaller to uninstall support assist and then redownload it.

I hope this post helps!

1 Message

August 23rd, 2018 13:00

SupportAssist does not work for me either.  Tried everything I could find.  No luck.  

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 21:00

Hi Pheasant3,

Can you explain your issue bit more.

What kind of issue you are facing with SupportAssist ?

Can you tell me your OS language?

Based on your reply I'll guide you properly for further steps.

Thanks

DELL-Nikhil K

Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell

September 2nd, 2018 12:00

Same here.  I can't even do a system restore.  Limited to system repair.  On reboot, it then goes into diagnostics, then blue screen with flickering cursor/donut.  Alienware R7 is 3 days old now and one day from being returned.

March 27th, 2019 18:00

Same issue here.  Spent two hours with a Dell support person on the phone with remote access to my computer.  He declared the problem fixed.

The next time I started the computer...no Dell Support Assist -- which I AM PAYING FOR!

Someone at Dell needs to get this fixed fast so that people who aren't computer experts can get things working.  Otherwise, this computer is going back (this problem has persisted since day 1) and I won't be buying another Dell, because this is the first computer I've even had problems with straight out of the box, and that includes Acers and other cheaper, lower-end machines.  

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

March 28th, 2019 07:00

What version are you running?

SA not launching could be from many different reason and posting general message on the community forum without logs or exceptions make it difficult to troubleshoot.

Can you let us know if it launches from a command window?

Here is a Command Prompt workaround

Open a Command Prompt (Admin), and type:

1)   cd\

2)   cd C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin

3)   SupportAssistUI.exe Launch

If that didn’t’ work.

Confirm if all the Services are running,

Dell SupportAssist

Dell Hardware Service

Dell Data Vault Collector

Dell Data Vault Processor

Dell Data Vault Service

If I’m having issues the first thing I’ll do is perform a quick clean install of SA...Try these steps…

Uninstall SupportAssist via the Control Panel if available

Then delete these directories if they exist

C:\ProgramData\PCDr

C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

Try installing via Dell web-site, download and right click and run as administrator

https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe

Then try via an icon first, then cmd window if icon still doesn’t work

No Events found!