Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2018 08:00

SupportAssist OS Recovery unavailable on XPS 27-7760

As per Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery User’s Guide: "SupportAssist OS Recovery is available only on certain Dell Inspiron, Dell XPS, and Dell Vostro computers that run a Dell factory-installed Microsoft Windows 10 operating system." It is a recovery environment that allows someone to restore the computer back to factory state. Presumably, someone can also manually access the SupportAssist OS Recovery environment at any time. XPS 27-7760 is a supported system:

SupportAssist OS Recovery.jpg

Unfortunately, this recovery environment is unavailable on my system, which means I cannot go back to factory state. I inquired to Technical Support, and was informed that the reason it is unavailable to me is because the system I purchased is Certified Refurbished. In addition, I was told that it would not be possible to download an image or create a USB flash drive that will install the factory version of Windows that was shipped on my device.

It seems like a big deal to me. None of that information was mentioned to me at the time of the purchase. I don't understand why a refurbished system should be any different from a brand new one, in terms of available tools/software and support. Did anyone experience similar problem?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 15th, 2018 04:00

I wouldn't worry about it, the Dell utilities usually give an obsolete Windows 10 installation .iso which is often at End of Life by the time the end user gets around to using it. You are best to use Microsoft's Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to get the latest build of Windows 10. I give instructions on using it and clean installing Version 1803 here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2018 09:00

This might not be the answer you are looking for. However, when the goal is to get the machine working again in a perfect way, it's a viable solution.

The need for a Dell "Factory State" OS and software load ... is an illusion:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Need-help-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10-on-new-Alienware-R7/m-p/6065386/highlight/true#M3167

I suggest you reload your machine and move-forward with your life and use the machine again:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073037#M3399

21 Posts

May 11th, 2018 10:00

@Tesla1856: I see what you are saying, that I might be better off without SupportAssist OS Recovery.  Sure, I will be able to figure out and get my unit up and running without such utility, but there is a more general concern in the grand scheme of things.

See, in my case, buying a refurbished unit from Dell is a rough experience. First, I have got an incorrect accessory, now—SupportAssist OS Recovery is not there, later on, I wonder,—what else I might discover? So, the question is:

How different in reality is Dell's certify refurbished product in comparison to a brand new one?

(My assumption was that those must be pretty much the same, in terms of components, accessories, available tools/software and support.)

21 Posts

May 11th, 2018 11:00

@RoHe: Thanks for your comments. Although your signature states that you are not a Dell employee (and I believe you), you definitely sound like one :Wink:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

And one more thingy...

Don't bother posting images, unless you're posting an image that's hosted on some other site, eg you insert a URL rather than uploading a jpg file to the forum.

Users can see the images they upload, but no one else can see them. All we see is a "placeholder".  It's an issue with this new forum platform, that hopefully will be resolved soon... :Embarrassed:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

@Dcnmwrote:

@RoHe: Thanks for your comments. Although your signature states that you are not a Dell employee (and I believe you), you definitely sound like one :Wink:

Nope, not a Dell employee, not now, not ever...

Just been around this forum for a l-o-n-g  time so I know how/where to find the good stuff.... :Geeked:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

You can always download Dell Help And Support Application, Dell Update Application, and any other apps that normally come preinstalled on this model from Dell here for free.  

Certified Refurbished products from Dell's Outlet give you the same limited hardware warranty and service as if you bought new, plus a 21-day return policy on all Dell Outlet products.

Besides, with all the updates pushed by Microsoft, the factory-installed version of Windows might be severely outdated, so you're probably better off creating a bootable USB with the latest Windows ISO file directly from Microsoft, which can downloaded for free. And the latest Spring 2018 update version 1803 of Win 10 is available at that link now.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 14th, 2018 12:00

Dcnm,

As Technical Support told you, the image is not available on certain Certified Refurbished purchased systems. But, did you actually reboot the PC, press F12 to show the available boot options, and verify that the "SupportAssist OS Recovery" was NOT in the menu?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 14th, 2018 13:00

Then Technical Support was correct. Thanks for checking.

21 Posts

May 14th, 2018 13:00

@DELL-Chris Mwrote:
did you actually reboot the PC, press F12 to show the available boot options, and verify that the "SupportAssist OS Recovery" was NOT in the menu?

@DELL-Chris M: SupportAssist OS Recovery is not in available F12 boot options.

21 Posts

May 14th, 2018 14:00

@DELL-Chris M: The question is why it's unavailable, if refurbished systems must have gone "through the production process, and then again retested to ensure they meet all original factory specifications."

No Events found!