Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

June 17th, 2019 16:00

XPS 15, SA, Windows 1903, BAD_POOL_CALLER

Hello, I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro v1903. Unforunately, when SupportAssist is installed on the system, a BSOD is triggered after having the machine running for a minute or so. The error is `BAD_POOL_CALLER`. My machine is a Dell XPS 15. Hopefully you can fix this so I can actually get driver/firmware updates. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 18th, 2019 06:00

* See the sticky

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

June 18th, 2019 18:00

This is a strange problem that I understand is an issue. I do not have any BSOD on Windows 1903. I updated my Aleinware 17 R3 and XPS 15-L501x when the 1903 was offered in Windows Updates. I ran the SA on both shortly after the update and no BSOD.

I have to add that I have set all the (three) Dell Data Vault process to manual and stopped them from running automatically. They are known to give issues like freezing and in some cases BSOD's. You can give it a try if you don't want to wait for a official solution from Dell or Microsoft.

If you do so, make sure to set these services to manual after every update of the SA program. The revert back to Automatic after each update.

How to open Windows Services Manager

96 Posts

June 19th, 2019 08:00

this is a widespread issue - see existing thread

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 19th, 2019 08:00

chenks76,

Per the sticky,

"* If your PC model is on the approved list above, Dell is investigating the SA/BSOD (BAD_POOL_CALLER)"

96 Posts

June 20th, 2019 00:00

OK.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2019 17:00

My XPS is on the approved list but is BSOD'ed as soon as I tried to install SA after a clean install. My model is XPS 15 9560. For now I ended up reinstalling the OS to 1903 but no dell SA or any other Dell drivers. love to know when Dell will fix this.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 24th, 2019 04:00

GaryE_NYC,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

10 Posts

June 26th, 2019 19:00

I have DELL XPS 15 59575 and win10 1903 and I have bad pool caller issue. With SA installed it is more frequent but without SA the problem also exists. sometimes I receive BSOD.

UPD: also just received another bsod: driver power state failure, while was trying to update the vega m driver to the last one.. SA was uninstalled before that.. What's happening ?

UPD1: Laptop with this issue is a new one with i7/16GB. I also have another same laptop with i5/8gb onboard and it does not have such issue with 1903.

UPD2: AIDA64 software always gives BSOD on i7 xps15 9575 version... older i5 xps15 9575 laptop - no such issue

Very dissapointed that my brand new dell premium latop can not work correctly

PS: Can not set PM to you, it says that I reached maximum number of PMs for now, but i did not send any pm's yet.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 27th, 2019 04:00

Click the link below and update the system bios and other drivers for your computer.

10 Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

Thank you Jessee..
Looks like issue is solved on my xps 15 9575

Automatic driver update did not help, because:

1. Support assist was unusable because of very often crush while it is installed.

2. Support assist actually did not show that updates needed.

I had different BSOD, even without support support assist. After getting rid from BAD_POOL_CALLER I had sometimes PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL from atikmdag.sys

What did I do:

1. Remove support assist.

2. Download and install all the drivers for my laptop manually. All, except usb/docking stuff that I don't use.

3. Bios was updated to the last one (1.6.1)

4. Changed in bios AHCI instead of RAID.

5. Safebooted to win10 to make it bootable after moving to ahci

6. Installed latest samsung nvme driver (I have 970Evo ssd nvme drive)

7. Installed Intel 630 graphics driver from Intel, the latest one. But Radeon Vega M driver from DELL.

No bsod about a week.

10 Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

By the way, why DELL do not update Radeon Vega M and Intel 630 graphic drivers? they are very old

Also it is an old problem with Intel chipset drivers. Many times I install them from dell update but supportassist detect that they should be updated and propose to download them again

10 Posts

July 18th, 2019 15:00

And now I see Dell removed BIOS 1.6.1 update and changed it back to 1.5.1.. why ? Bugs found? Do I need to downgrade to 1.5.1 ?

• 

16.7K Posts

July 19th, 2019 04:00

bitebyte,

Click the link below for resolving the bad pool caller error. Also, if the computer is working fine without downgrading the bios then, no need to downgrade.

Windows 10: Resolving a BAD POOL CALLER BSOD against the iRST driver

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 02:00

Thanks. My issue bad pool caller was solved as I described previously. It looks like intel rst was removed from my system when I changed RAID to AHCI mode.. or I have uninstalled it after that. there's no bad pool caller now Sometimes I got another bsod: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and page_fault_in_nonpaged_area in atikmdag.sys I have installed latest radeon vega m driver from intel (18.12.2) and wait for the result..
No Events found!