Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2013 06:00

AIX, NPIC and DMX 3

Hi,

We have AIX hosted on a DMX 3 using NPIV as the interface to storage.I see no mention of NPIV on the DMX 3 compatibility matrix and wondered if this could be a problem.

We have experience sporadic data corruption on some of our application volume groups and not sure what the cause could be.

Does anyone have any ideas

Regards

467 Posts

May 14th, 2013 07:00

I've got NPIV running on an AIX box - with no problems.. However it's not a DMX3.  I'd first thing it was a firmware issues on the HBA.. Is it one server or several servers?

3 Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi Mark,

thank you for the reply. We have seen it on several servers and it is very inconsistent. I happens most often when we need to restart an LPAR. I guess it could be application related too.

anyway, NPIV is working fine. It is just that its not listed in the "compatibility matrix" for the DMX 3, which made me worry.

How do I know if EMC certified NPIV on the DMX 3 (which is quite an older model)

You suggest we look at firmware on the VIO's?

Regards

467 Posts

May 14th, 2013 10:00

I'd guess firmware on the HBA or PowerPath version to start... easy to check and fix if they are a problem..  You may want to run a GRAB/HEAT against the host and see what it complains about...

3 Posts

May 15th, 2013 00:00

Hi Mark,

I'll log a call with IBM.Thanks for for help.

Any reason why NPIV wouldn't be in the "compatibility matrix" for the DMX 3?

Regards

No Events found!