Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DM

August 31st, 2010 08:00

Adding nodes to SRDF/CE cluster

We are planning to have a 4 node cluster, 2 attached to a local Symm and 2 attached to a remote Symm and utilize SRDF/CE to fail between sites.  We currently have 1 server at each site with SQL server installed and able to fail back and forth.  My question is how do I add another node to the cluster?  I cannot install SQL Server until the new node is part of the failover cluster.  If CE attempts to move the resources as part of the configure, it will fail because SQL Server has not been installed on the node.  Do I need all 4 servers set up in the CE cluster before I can install SQL Server?  What if that is not possible, are there other options?

Thanks.

61 Posts

September 1st, 2010 14:00

The only group that SRDF/CE fails over as part of the configuration would be the Cluster Group, if you are using a disk based Quorum. So you wouldn't really have to worry about the SQL resource groups until after the cluster is configured.

To add a node to an existing SRDF/CE cluster, you just need to ensure that the cluster disks are seens RW once to the hosts before you attempt to add them into the CE cluster. This would typically involve shutting down the existing cluster so you can see the disks properly on the host.

When you want to add the node to the cluster, just run the "Configure CE" wizard and at the spot were it asks which nodes to use, it should auto-populate the existing nodes, and you just add the other nodes into this list. CE will kick off the Add a node wizard for you, and handle the rest of the configuration.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!