Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2013 13:00

Ask the Expert: EMC Symmetrix VMAX - Latest Advancements

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Using Data Domain Storage in your Disaster Recovery Plan

Ask the Expert: EMC Symmetrix VMAX Cloud Edition Launch

https://community.emc.com/thread/182376

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and discuss what makes the new EMC Symmetrix VMAX smarter, more powerful, and more trusted. This discussion will cover the major update to EMC's VMAX storage family announced via an EMC Live Webcast; participate after the webcast to continue asking questions of our Experts.

This discussion begins on Monday, January 14 at 12 pm EST. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for email notifications. The thread will be open and moderated through January 21.

Your hosts:

dancheng_90x113.jpg

Dancheng Yang (Dancheng_Yang) is a product manager and former senior software engineer in EMC's Enterprise Storage Division, based in Hopkinton, MA.

paul lorusso_90x113.jpg

Paul Lorusso (PaulDLorusso) is a principle product manager on the VMAX hardware platform product management team. He has previous design engineering, engineering management, and product and program management experience from Digital Equipment Corporation, Compaq Computer, and Hewlett-Packard. Paul holds a BSME from Northeastern University and an MBA from Babson College.

john kim.jpg

John Kim (John_F_Kim) is a principle product marketing manager for Symmetrix VMAX. He has 12 years of experience in enterprise storage and more than 17 years of experience in technology product management and marketing.

kunal (2).jpg

Kunal Kapoor (kunalkapoor) is a Senior Product Manager in the VMAX Organization. He is responsible for all replication products (SRDF, Timefinder and RecoverPoint) on all VMAX platforms. Prior to being a Product Manager, Kunal worked in the Symmetrix Engineering group for 8 years (in Development and Quality Assurance roles).  Kunal holds a Masters degree in Computer Science from University of Massachusetts.

5.7K Posts

January 14th, 2013 08:00

This is weird. I can see the live feed, but I don't see my question appearing.

I missed the first 20 minutes, so almost all of it and I just wanted to know in a nutshell what the enhancements were.

13 Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

We will forward the details of your question to performance engineering and get back to you with a reponse.

Regards,

Paul

790 Posts

For those who missed it, here's the video on demand replay of the presentation. 

Your browser must have Flash installed to view the video

Video Link : 4702

13 Posts

Currently, we support 2.5" drives in 3.5" carriers on the VMAX 20K.  We are evaluating future support of 2.5" drives in 2.5" carriers on VMAX 20K.

1 Message

I posted my question during the webcast and never saw it or any comment it show up for after over an hour of waiting, so I'll try it again here.

We’ve got a VMAX-1 with Enginuity code 5876 – the equivalent of a VMAX 20K (?) – with vSphere 5.0 on HP ProLiant BL465c G7 blades with 8Gb Emulex HBAs, and BL460c Gen8 blades with QLogic 8Gb HBAs, going to Brocade directors.  Any idea why we cannot drive any more than 13,000 IOPS (100% sequential read) on a RAID5 or RAID6 TDEV striped META with NMP RR (IOPS=1, 2 paths)?  That's a far cry from 1 million IOPS, let alone "over 2 million IOPS on one storage system using VMware vSphere 5.0."

77 Posts

This discussion is now open for questions to our experts. We look forward to an interactive and informative discussion.

Best,

Stephanie

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

2.5” drives supported in VMAX 20K ? Can i mix 2.5 and 3.5 in the same array ? Any other best practices around these drives.

Thanks

1.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 10:00

DDMIjadams

The IOPs you can get from a single engine will depend on the workload.  The maximum IOP rate is with 100% small block reads from cache.  Also to get the maximum IOPs or throughput from any VMAX, you will need to use many devices, not just one volume, or even one meta.

16 Posts

January 14th, 2013 12:00

You can see the white paper showing 1 Million VMware IOPS using vsphere 5.0 with VMAX 20K http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/1M-iops-perf-vsphere5.pdf

And a Virtual Geek blog on it here.

The paper shows a VMAX 20K with 8 engines was used, along with a lot of drives, front end FC ports, and meta LUNs.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

January 14th, 2013 13:00

Regarding FAST VP on 5876 code, can you please explain the difference with respect to how FAST VP handles binding of TDEVS that move between FVP tiers? I know 5876 handles this differently (more efficiently?) from 5875 code. More specificallly, how will this ultimately affect thin pool capacity/usage reporting?

2.1K Posts

January 14th, 2013 20:00

Hi All,

we've created a mirror thread 【英语专家问答同步直播】EMC Symmetrix VMAX - 最新竞争优势 in Chinese Support Forum for broadcast the this event to Chinese audience.

I will forward the question from Chinese audience and translate to English and look forward expert's greate answers.

2.1K Posts

January 14th, 2013 20:00

First Chinese questions from  lei liu:

Does new model VMAX support disk pool as default instead of using disk group?

13 Posts

January 15th, 2013 11:00

Fenglin,

Hi--we would like to respond to your inquiry, but we wanted to be sure we clearly understood the context of your question.  Could you please clarify reference to "support of disk pool as a default", as contrasted to your reference of diks groups?  We weren't 100% clear on what you were asking here, and we want to be sure in order to give you an accurate response.  Any additional data you can supply, including where you saw other references to support of disk pool as default as opposed to diks group would be most helpful.

Best Regards,

Paul

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

January 15th, 2013 12:00

Dancheng,

Thanks for replying.

I have read the documentation and am confused by this change in the binding of FVP-associated tdevs. What is the advantage or improvement in the way 5876 handles this versus the way 5875 handled new writes from the originally bound pool, typically FC thin pool?

I am not looking for documented explanation, but maybe a real-world example would help me to understand better? I am failing to see the benefit here. Is there one?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 15th, 2013 12:00

Hi Hernan,

Are you talking about the 5876 change "VP allocation by policy”?

VP allocation by FAST Policy

The VP allocation by FAST policy feature allows new allocations to come from any of the thin pools included in the FAST VP policy to which the thin device is associated. (Allocations are not limited to just the bound pool.) Traditionally, new extent allocations generated by writes to a thin device come from the thin pool to which the device is bound.

There are no significant changes, as a result of this feature, in the reporting of capacity usage. More details about this feature can be found in the "FAST VP for EMC® Symmetrix® VMAX® Theory and Best Practices for Planning and Performance Technical Notes" on Powerlink. If you don't have access, please contact your EMC account team.

Best regards,

Dancheng

No Events found!