Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2014 09:00

Convert Concatenated Meta to Striped

I've got a concatenated metadevice in a VMAXe.  It has 5 members (22.5GB, 22.5GB, 22.5GB, 22.5GB, 105GB) totaling 210GB in size.  I'd like to convert it to a striped metadevice because it will perform better.  We are experiencing high response time.  This device contains a SQL database that is the backend for budgeting software.

Can I convert it from concatenated to striped?  Can this be done online?  How?  This is a 'convert meta' operation, correct?  I've grown striped metas online using BCV devices, and I am envisioning a similar operation, but am not 100% sure of the mechanics of a convert.

Should I use a 2 or 4 member meta, or a 16 member meta?  I've been told that more members can improve performance if you're dealing with large block IO, big reads and writes.  Is that correct?

859 Posts

August 24th, 2014 23:00

create a thin bcv meta (same as your concat meta, same size, meta member count and must be bound to a pool), preallocate it as persistent.

use convert meta command with protect data =true option and convert it to striped meta.

convert meta SymDevName config=MetaOption

[, stripe_size=MetaStripeSize>[cyl]],

[, protect_data=[TRUE|FALSE],

[bcv_meta_head=SymDevName];

The resulting striped meta will be of same member count as of concat and same size.

regards,

Saurabh Rohilla

213 Posts

August 25th, 2014 14:00

Hi Vinn,

Welcome to EMC Community!

Unfortunatly, This cannot be done online using SE due to size mismatch of your devices/meta members. The only valid way i will consider for doing this online is by using host-based migration tools like PPME (License if free of charge if you have PP installed!) so create  a new device with the stripeed meta member (may be of size 105 GB for 2-way meta) then present it to the host and start the migration using powermig command. This has been dicussed in details in PPME guide available from EMC support site

Hope this helps

Mohammed Salem

No Events found!