Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2011 11:00

DMX-4 performance

I installed SPA and realised that all our DA directors are > 80% utilization.

One good thing is that they are all balanced at 80%.

These stay up at >65% all the time. All other parameters are below 50.

If a few DA's were hot and some cold we could balance the load on these and get normal. What is the resolution in this case?

1.3K Posts

If it isn't a DMX4500, you could add DAs.  If you are running RAID5 or RAID6, you could find a way to migrate to mirrored which would take a load off of the DAs.

134 Posts

Our disks are RAID-5 and few are 2-way-mir.

I will try to migrate the disks the DBA's are complaining about to 2-way-mir.

We are going to decomm this array in 2012 so adding DA's might not jive with the upper management.

If we were to add DA's we will have to purchase disks and then migrate to the newly created disks on these DA's correct?

134 Posts

Every single DA director in the entire array is at 90% utilized. Will have to move these over to a new array.

Is that our only option?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

move workload to less busy drives (host based mirroring,  symm oprimizer ? )

1.3K Posts

December 13th, 2011 12:00

Yes, if you added DAs and disks, you would need to migrate some applications to the new DAs.   

134 Posts

December 14th, 2011 06:00

Can we just buy DA's and not disks and still distribute the load?

This is most likely a dumb question but please bear with me here.

134 Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

Yes there are a couple of oracle DBA's complaning about performance issues.

Only 1 host though. I am thinking we will just migrate that one host over to our VMAX and wait untill someone else complains.

Thanks everyone

448 Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

Are any of the hosts experiencing a performance issue?  If not then running the backend at that rate, while high, may very well be acceptable.  fi you are tech refreshing it in less than a year you may be able to wait it out so to speak.  If its attached to a mainframe that hgih of a workload is not unusual; mainframe attached arrays always seem to have  avery high % utilized on the DA's.  If you get additional DA's yes you need to put disk drives behind them.

No Events found!