Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2010 20:00

Difference in DMX3 - DMX4 - VMAX

Somebody asked me difference between DMX3 and DMX4 - I only able to tell him that DMX4 is END-to-END 4gbps but DMX3 was still using the 2gbps backend connecvitivty .  Is there anything changed on Backend Loop Design as well (Heard that it changed from point to point TO Asci )??  Also DMX4 is big brother of DMX3 so there is no change is capacity it can host it same as DMX3 but there is change is Chache size and controller speed.

VMAX and DMX4 there is plenty of differences but as far as architecture is concern its become modualar due to engine concept.

In old DMX's we were having different boards for FA's and DA's & Cache but in VMAX we have all on one Engine.

Anything else on architecture side please let me know ??

1.3K Posts

December 21st, 2010 04:00

DMX4 can run 2Gb or 4Gb backend, and also supports EFDs. Otherwise they are the same hardware and support the same levels of Enginuity.

5.7K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 07:00

So DMX4 is a Clariion ? Uhm... as far as the signal concerns.

119 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 07:00

DMX-3 back-end is a traditional loop, where the signal passes through all drives in the loop.  DMX-4 (and VMAX) back-end is point-to-point.  The signal does not need to pass through each drive.  The link control card (LCC) has an independent relationship with each drive which improves availability and serviceability.

1.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 09:00

I forgot about the change in DMX4 to the new DAE.

The DAE in the CX4, DMX4 and VMAX are all the same, AFAIK.

12 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 09:00

well I would not compare a DMX 4 with a CX array as the architecure is different, however I found some similarities with CX and V-max.

V-max Engine layout is something similar to a CX, where we have the BE and FE and global cache mounted in the same engine or chassis.( But a big difference in terms of IOPS handled).

Compared to DMX-3/4 a lot has been changed in V-max, specially when it comes to Autoprovisioning, the internal architechure has also changed in V-max compared to traditional Symm DMX3/4. Its lot lot better and faster.

Regards

Andy.

5.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2010 00:00

DMX3 as well as I recall. DMX2 definately not, but when our DMX3's arrived, the first thing I noticed were the DAE's which are exactly the same as CX3/4. The only difference with DMX was that the DAE's were standing up, where in a CX they are mounted horizontally.

5.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2010 00:00

hahaha, I was expecting a comment like this. But you have to admit that since the DAEs are the same, the bus/loop infra is about the same, the only difference are the engines / SPs.

No Events found!