Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 20th, 2010 22:00

Disk groups on V-max

I have this new V-max and testing it....V-max with two drive types EFD and FC 15k drives.

By default,if you look at the V-max it creates two disk group types by drive type.

Planning to split FC drives into two RAID types RAID1 and RAID 5.V-max allows to creates both the RAID type on the same physical disk.

-Is there any way to configure more than one disk groups from the FC drives(could not locate an option in SMC).Can this be done on Bin file level?

-When using the Thin Provisioning,EMC recommendation was to use  Strip Thin device and concatenate data devices.I am not clear on that..does that mean create a Thin device x times as original data device and stripe it..then future additions would be only on the back end?am i thinking right about this?

-Meta devices:While creating meta devices,is there any way ensure the hyper do not wrap up on the same disk?Is there any auto meta creation on V-max?

Sharing your experiences would be appreciated.

108 Posts

February 21st, 2010 19:00

Hi Srichev,

To try and answer these briefly:

1. If SMC cannot do this (it was a "coming soon to a Symmetrix near you" enhancement request ) then you need to contact your local EMC Support Representative. The bin file will need to be changed to split the FC drives into more suitable disk_groups. This change is online safe with absolutely no impact to data.

2. I am not quite sure about the reference to "stripe thin device and concatenate data devices"? Are you referring to the "Virtual Provisioning Implementation and Best Practices" Technical Note? My understanding is that the recommendation for Thin concatenated meta devices aids oversubscription with a host based data copy. That is, you can create smaller thin devices (to avoid unallocated space on any single Thin volume) and then create and or easily expand these concatenated meta volumes to meet your needs (i.e., just online add meta members without impacting the existing data). The Thin meta's are created on the front end - this doesn't affect the layout of the Thin pool on the back end.

3. The default behavior in the SymmWin program is NOT to allow meta member to use the same physical disk. The SYMCLI command form meta with count= option will obey this default. However if you use the add dev option instead then SymmWin will simply do as you ask and add the specific member(s) to the specified meta (these may be on the same physical disk if you are not careful ). This has been discussed before and I am sure you will find some very good posting on this last topic...

Best Regards,

Michael.

131 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 10:00

When you create thin device it is already stripped in a pool. Now in the meta from thin device is  preferable concated because you have striping ( one level) .

so you can take advantage of concated meta ( easily expansion)

130 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 10:00

On the point 2,Thin provisioning,thought the other way.Creating thin devices and stripe it but on the backend data devs concatenate it. or am i thinking some thing weird.

131 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 11:00

Maximum size is 64 GB for thin device.

130 Posts

Boom,I could not locate the doc specifying 64GB limitation.If you can share the link for the doc would be great.

Also,I was going through the Best practices for thin provisioning.This goes back to my/Boom's original question(in other posting).

Thin provisioning uses data devices from pools(logical hypers).If there is a thin device of 64GB(any size,higher than device extent),how to ensure they do not wrap on the same disk..This doc explains how the next device has been picked up in a round robin fashion but not from the disk point of view.

Dis you see the algorithm fro this uses a different disk when a new extent picked up in addition to the new hyper?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Yet for high i/o workload striping meta members is still recommended.

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of

the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged

information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended

recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution

or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly

prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact

the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the

original message (including attachments).

130 Posts

Wide striping brings up interesting point.Is there any limitation on the thin size(like regular device maxi size is 240GB)?Is that the reason for meta?

Can the meta spread across multiple disk groups and striped instead of concatenation?If this is no,then i understand why concatenation is done?

let me also download the white papers and refer this..

131 Posts

Up to my knowledge max size is 64 gb, thin extent size is 768kb for raid-1. (according to emc it may be change in feature)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

It's not 240G ?

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of

the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged

information. If the reader of this message is not the intended

recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution

or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly

prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact

the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the

original message (including attachments).

1.3K Posts

That recommendation may change in the future, but for today, there is still some performance differences between striped and concatenated.  These are spelled out in the tech note on VP.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 12:00

64g indeed. I would expect higher limits for thin devices vs regular thick devices but it's actually the other way around. Strange ...

131 Posts

yes, on the vmax you can go up to 240. but there is limitation for DMX.

1.3K Posts

Any device, even thin, can be up to 240GB on V-Max.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

ahh ..i did not notice that paper Boom pointed to was for Virtual provisioning on DMX ..not Vmax.
No Events found!