Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2010 09:00

EMC Reports silently?

I'm looking at collection and collation of EMCReports grabs - as part of an upcoming microcode update, and just in general for a site wide audit of our environment.

One of the problems I'm having is that EMCReports likes to pop up loads of windows in order to run - not the end of the world, but a little incovenient when trying to do this.

The script I've knocked together is this:

Script to run EMC Grab on all hosts in an environment

But basically grabs 'symmaskdb list database', runs through each host doing a psexec to run EMCReports, and then copying the resultant collection file back to the host running the script.

But I've found that basically every 'console session' for my host has now got a 'readme.txt' and the EMCReports file direectory open, when I log onto servers next.

I was wondering ... well, if anyone's come up with better solutions, or failing that anyone can suggest how to quietly run EMCReports remotely.

61 Posts

Have you tried the -NOP mode?

From the EMCreports readme.txt:

EMCREPORTS -NOP:
THIS OPTION ALLOWS YOU TO COLLECT THE FULL EMCREPORTS COLLECTION WITH NO POPUP WINDOWS, AND THEREFORE, HANDS FREE:
1) GO TO A COMMAND PROMPT AND CD TO THE DIRECTORY WHERE EMCREPORTS.EXE IS LOCATED (YOU CAN EXECUTE EMCREPORTS FROM ANY DIRECTORY).
2) ENTER THE FOLLOWING COMMAND SYNTAX:    EMCRPTS_X86_V35.EXE  /C:"EMCRPT.CMD -NOP"
NOTE: SINCE EMCREPORTS WILL NOT DISPLAY THE FINAL ZIP FILE IN -NOP MODE, YOU WILL NEED TO EXTRACT IT MANUALLY FROM %SYSTEMROOT%\EMCREPORTS\COLLECTION\ZIP

Hope this helps.

53 Posts

Perfect. That's just what I'm after. Well, almost. It still pops up a console window, but as long as it disappears again neatly afterwards, that's fine     

14 Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

FWIW – We simply place the bat file below on each of our windows server and set up a scheduled task to run it once a month. The data is all copied to a central share.

net use Z: /delete

net use Z:
share\server.team\Operational\EMCGrabs\MonthlyGrabs

z:

EMCRPTS_x86.exe /Q

Copy C:\WINDOWS\EMCReports\COLLECTION\ZIP\*.* z:\grabs\

rd /S /Q C:\WINDOWS\EMCReports

logoff

Ken

53 Posts

April 22nd, 2010 02:00

I've just tried a batch run of this.

For some reason 'psexec'ing EMC Reports, with the -NOP flag fails on a lot of my servers, where without it, it works fine. Even if I do the /C:"emcrpt.cmd".

I get 'access denied' errors all over the place.

I'm going to assume this is a GPO on our part or something equally annoying, but none the less... .well, lets just say I'm expecting bemused phonecalls from various parts of the estate wondering why I'm logged in and running notepad

No Events found!