Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2010 07:00

Encountering issue in Device deletion from DMX array

Hi

I am facing issues to delete devices from DMX array.When running the symconfigure commands,I am getting the error in prepare step looged in symapi log "

some configuration Changes can't be done if a SPARE is invoked".I chceked in the array that two drives  was failed and hotspare invok was done .This array is going to retire and we do not want to replace teh disks other than deleting the devices.Please let me know how to complete the delete device task  without repacing the disks.

Thanks

Swarup

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 15:00

The following might help. PSE can try to remove the hot spare and then recover the drive that dropped (Spin it up). Hopefully the drive will stay up long enough for you to move ahead and make any changes you need from the host.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2010 14:00

Swarup,

I've attached a link to a solution that may be helpful to you.  Hope you find it useful.

Best Regards.

Message was edited by: SymmetrixForumsModerator Removed inaccessible link.

419 Posts

July 27th, 2010 01:00

Swarup,

if you contact support PSE may be able to remove the hotspare for a period so you can delete the devices;   This is  not a standard operation, but PSE have been able to do similar for me in the past. 

The procedure I mention may not be possible depending on the state of the hot spare.   PSE will be able to advise better.

11 Posts

July 27th, 2010 02:00

Hi piemac

This link is not working.Could u pls check once.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 27th, 2010 04:00

that link is for EMC employees only.

10 Posts

July 27th, 2010 17:00

Hi there! You can always ask for a PSE assistance. Maybe they have some workaround to fix the drive problem without replacing it.

hth!

Regards,

Ruel

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 19:00

This was resolved by manually removing hotspare by PSE and then the device deleting script continued to run.

In this case, one original drive could not be spinned up but it still works ok as far as device delete is involving. (Device ADD will fail)

88 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 19:00

Seems this can be flagged as "answered"...?

No Events found!