Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2012 08:00

How To Protect Unprotected R1 While Maintaining RDF Relationship

Good afternoon,

We have an environment where replicate data as follows:

R5 STD -> Unprotected R1 --------> Unprotected R2 -> Protected GOLD

Our environment is DMX4 running 5773.176.

We are interested in protecting the currently unprotected R1's at the local site using either Raid 1 or Raid 5. The problem is that we don't want to dissolve the RDF relationhip. In other words, we don't want to have to reship several TB's of data.

Is this possible? EMC claims Mirror Position issues. We can't perform a convert due to the RDF relationship.

Thoughts? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

110 Posts

December 11th, 2012 08:00

Please verify your environment whether its running the SRDF over SRDF/AR – single hop?

Is the unprotected R1 allocated to any host?

Regards,

Periyakaruppan N (Peri),

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

110 Posts

December 11th, 2012 09:00

My god… I’m keep writing the wrong name… its clone emulation mode

Regards,

Periyakaruppan N (Peri),

110 Posts

TimeFinder/ Mirror would help you to create protection which runs in mirror emulation mode.

Regards,

Periyakaruppan N (Peri),

26 Posts

We are really not running SRDF/AR. We are running more of the SRDF Data Mobility (DM). We run an SYMMIR Establish between the STD and the R1 followed by an SYMRDF Establish between the R1 and R2 and finally a SYMMIR Establish between the R2 and GOLD.

The unprotected R1 is not allocated to any host.

110 Posts

TimeFinder/ Mirror would help you to create protection.

Regards,

Periyakaruppan N (Peri),

26 Posts

December 11th, 2012 10:00

Agreed that could move it to SYMCLONE instead of SYMMIR but it would force a full refresh. Right?

110 Posts

December 12th, 2012 02:00

Yes, at very first time the clone device will be refreshed fully with the source device.

Regards,

Periyakaruppan N (Peri),

26 Posts

December 13th, 2012 06:00

So you are suggesting that we SYMCLONE from the STD to the R1 instead of SYMMIR. This is a new relationship that will still need to be full shipped, right? Am I missing something? Remember, my goal is to not have to perform a full reship from the R1 to the R2.

26 Posts

Having to fully refresh the RDF relationship is what I am trying to avoid. It would take DAYS to get the data replicated again if we were forced to do so.

I am looking for a potential solution that will allow me to protect the currently unprotected R1 devices without having to reship the entire environment.

It is looking like this is not possible

110 Posts

Raid 5 Protected GOLD

Unprotected R1 Unprotected R2

Clone device… Only the clone device will be refreshed, not the R1 or any other device.

You can create a test environment to make sure the same.

Regards,

Periyakaruppan N (Peri),

5 Attachments

No Events found!