Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2011 09:00

How do I check and set my SRDF RE Port IP addresses?

All:

We are migrating from an old DMX to a new(er) VMAX.  We have RE (ethernet) ports in our old DMX (source), new VMAX (source) and DMX (target) Arrays.  They tell me that I have to change the IP addresses in my DMX target array REs from the old DMX source to the new VMAX source.  How do I do that?  How do I see what they say today, and how do I change them?  Can I do it with commands, or do I need an EMC bin file change, with attendant 10 day freeze, etc?

Do i have to specify the target IP address in my VMAX REs also?  It would seem like I do....

I'm going to start looking at EMC manuals....

Stuart

2.2K Posts

June 17th, 2011 12:00

Setting the IP address on RE ports on a VMAX require a BIN file change. Also when setting the IP address on the ports EMC will also fill out what is called the Remote Machines Table. This will list the remote frame Serial Number, the remote RE ports, and the IP address assigned to each remote RE port. Another thing that requires BIN file change is enabling hardware compression on the RE port (but you will still need to set hw/sw compression on each RDF group through the cli manually), in addition to setting a speed limit on the RE port if the WAN link is less than the cummulative bandwidth of the RE ports.

2.2K Posts

June 17th, 2011 12:00

To clarify, the process I outlined above applies to the DMX as well as the VMAX. Did not meant to imply that is for VMAX only.

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 12:00

RE ( SRDF over Gig-E) has inbuild compression enabled, in my knowledge. Do you use the compression at the RDF group level?

134 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 06:00

Compresion is enabled by default. If you plan to use some other form of compresion then you will have to disable it.

We have always had EMC CE disable it for us.

You can absolutely change the ip address using symcli. You can find the commands in symconfigure help file.

Remember this is a double sided sword. It is very powerful and can cause damage at the same time.

138 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 06:00

I don't think that we do.  I can't find any compressions options on the "symrdf addgrp" command or in "symcfg".  The command we use to create our groups is very simiple:

"symrdf -sid xxxx addgrp -label XXX -rdfg XX -dir XX -remote_rdfg XX -remote_sid XXXX -remote_dir XX"

"symrdf -sid xxxx createpair -f pairfile -type rdf1 -rdfg xx -establish -rdf_mode acp_disk"

We don't set much more than that.  I'm thinking about adding "auto_recovery".  How do you set compression?

Stuart

1.3K Posts

September 5th, 2011 18:00

what is the other form of compression are you using? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2017 07:00

Hi all

thanks for the updates,

i thought this was still the case,

but i thought i better check as i did find the cli command which i seemed as if it was added the address.

thks

taj

No Events found!