Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2014 11:00

How to Gather BTP file from Symmetrix

How to Gather BTP file from Symmetrix.

We are using SMC to manage VMAX and ECC to analyze performance.

I am seeing WLA agent in the ECC and reports are till 2013. I don't know how to start the agent to get latest updates.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 15:00

Symmetrix agent needs to be installed on a host that has gatekeepers attached to it, it does not have to be on the ECC server. It sounds like you have very limited experience with ECC, ECC is a monster but it's really old so if you are going to put any effort into getting the performance numbers i would spend the time to get Unisphere with Performance running.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

do you see that specific array in ECC Console ?

1.3K Posts

Why not use Unisphere to analyze performance?

2.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 12:00

If you need to look at historical BTP data that is not avialable in ECC your local CSE can help you out. Moving forward you should install Unisphere for VMAX and use the peformance module within Unisphere for analysis, it is a big improvement over SPA and easy to manage.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 13:00

in the console put a check mark next to your array then on the top menu select ECC Administration > Policies

Make sure WLA_Daily is enabled.

6-2-2014 4-44-51 PM.bmp

I don't see any agents for this array. I think there were no agents installed.

How can we install those agents.

Yes, I can see it.

I don't have unisphere for this VMAX (SMC)

2.2K Posts

If you are licensed for SMC you can upgrade to Unipshere. I would look into it. SMC is no longer developed and the last version released was over 2 years ago. Any new features of Enginuity 5876 and Solutions Enabler are available in Unisphere and not SMC. Performance analysis is integrated with Unisphere so will not require maintaining ECC agents and repositories for performance analysis of the VMAX.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 14:00

in order to get WLA using ECC you need to install Symmetrix agent on a host that has gatekeepers from that array.

1.3K Posts

I would not bother with the effort to get ECC working.  Unisphere is the way to go.  ECC is no longer being developed and could provide you with misleading performance information.

Host and Storage array are in different locations. I don't have anyway to add gatekeepers to the ECC Host.

2.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 15:00

And Unisphere for VMAX has the same requirements of being installed on a host running Solutions Enabler that is either local to the array and is masked to gatekeepers or with SE running as a symapi client.

My advice? You need a host that is local to your array so that you can use locally attached gatekeepers for your SE and Unisphere installation.

No Events found!