Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2018 04:00

How to change FA port to RF port in 5977.

Hi Team,

Good day !! I have one of my customer who is asking to change FA port to RF port.

Could anyone please let me know the process, support is saying FE will do this operation.

All i want to know is how this is achieved.

Also, i have been told that in VMAX 3 ""Each emulation type appears only once per director."

Above statement in true or false ?

419 Posts

February 26th, 2018 05:00

FA can't be converted to RE 2 different emulations for different transport protocols.  In 5977 we simply add emulations for each additional protocol, there are some considerations to adding these as they will rebalance CPU core allocation, so it's not recommended to have every possibly allocation added.

There is no conversion to be done for adding emulation, the emulation can be added online using the add emulation function in unisphere 8.4, however the IP ports IP address for SRDF must be configured by CE using symmwin script.

419 Posts

February 21st, 2018 04:00

you need to disassociate the port from the FA emulation and associate it to the RF emulation.  This is done through System Dashboard in Unisphere or through the symconfigure command via CLI.

$ symconfigure -h | grep -A 3 assoc

associate port [, ...] to

dir ;

Disassociating a port from a director emulation:

disassociate port [, ...] from

dir ;

Each emulation only exists once per director, this is correct.

32 Posts

February 21st, 2018 05:00

Capture1.JPG.jpg

Where in Unisphere are you pointing to....please check Article Number 000466676 ....it says bin file update is required.

Till 5876 this was online ....

419 Posts

February 21st, 2018 07:00

That KB article is for Unisphere 1.6 and irrelevant as it is not talking VMAX3 or higher

419 Posts

February 21st, 2018 07:00

if you click on front end ports you can disassociate the ports on the next screen, then click available ports as that should turn green once you have some in there and associate.

32 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 04:00

error.png

Getting error while trying to associate the free port.

419 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 08:00

need to check your code level and version of unisphere?. I can barely make it out but looks like you are on 8.0 we are now on 8.4, released so a lot of functional changes in between.

Check release notes for a version higher than you are running would be best place to start.

465 Posts

February 25th, 2018 21:00

That version was released in 2015. Since then we have released 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4.

Please go ahead and do the Unisphere and Solutions Enabler software updates so you can use the emulation conversion feature.

32 Posts

Unisphere version is 8.0.3.5

32 Posts

Capture.JPG.jpg

I tried .....getting above error.

465 Posts

Your Unisphere - looks to be 1.6 from the screen shot. This version  was built well before VMAX 3 and it will not be able to exploit the features your VMAX 3 has to offer. Upgrade it to the current version to get the most from your array management tools.

Unishpere goes hand-in-hand with Solutions Enabler. If you are versions behind in SE, then this could also cause your error. While you are Upgrading Unisphere, be sure to include an upgrade of SE.

Once you have done your management software upgrades, your task to convert emulations will work just fine.

419 Posts

If the command is present in the UI or the SE version in the help, then you are generally good on the host software front.  You need to check the uCode version of HyperMax on the VMAX3 array, you are probably on ad older code level, if you can post your code level we can check?

Also note the command you are running is assuming you are working on VMAX3 or VMAX all Flash, it doesn't work with 5976 code arrays

32 Posts

Customer is having fiber ports used as FA and Ethernet ports used as RE.

When I am trying to convert FA to RE ....it is failing cause Ethernet can not be converted into Fiber online...

correct me if I am wrong...

32 Posts

February 26th, 2018 06:00

Sir , if you see my symcli error....it indicates the same....however, field team is going to upgrade bin file anytime soon.

Thanks for your help !!

419 Posts

February 26th, 2018 06:00

http://www.corkc4.isus.emc.com/wiki/index.php/VMAX3

Search for using CTRL +F Symmwin / Simplified Symmwin Scripts

No Events found!