Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2013 09:00

How to remove data disk from diskgroup and make it as hotspare in DMX8000 ?

Hello Everyone,

Let me explain my environment in detail.  We have very old DMX8000 in our environment.  It has 384 disks and only there is 1 disk group. All 384 disks are added to this disk group.  It does NOT have any extra host spares disk.  Now, out of these 384 data disk, I would like to remove 5 data disks  and make it as hotspares disk so incase of any disks failure occur, hotspares disk can recover data.  Is it possible ?? If yes, what kind of steps involved ??  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

419 Posts

September 4th, 2013 02:00

Nick, you will need to request a bin change to do this.  Your CE can help with this.  In general you will need to identify the drives that will provide the optimal position in the array for the hostspare locations, then identify the hypers that reside on these physical drives.   These hypers will have to be migrated to other volumes, either by optimizer or deleted via symconfigure once the data is migrated to new hypers.  Once this is complete then CE can do a bin change converting to hotspares.

Your CE will be able to better advise if this is possible

August 31st, 2013 09:00

Firstly welcome to the forums and above all thank you for being an EMC customer.

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a long time. 

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Symmetrix Support Forum" which would be the most relevant for this question.

September 4th, 2013 12:00

Here we are discussing about DMX 8000, not DMX-800( RMS) .Hope am clear about question..

Hotspare (dynamic spare) is a bit we set for the drives in the BIN file for symmetrix. Usually we configure a drive a spare drive at the time of initial configuration of array by EMC personnel.

Having said this, we have an option for modifying the BIN file, a EMC CE or an engineer from Implementation team can re-design the BIN and take the system through a configuration change after new BIN is verified by Platform SME/L3 support.

We CANNOT modify the BIN from symcli, smc or ecc for hotspare change.

2.1K Posts

September 4th, 2013 20:00

It's impossible to do it through host software. BIN change is required.

September 11th, 2013 11:00

Thanks everyone for your reply.  I greatly appreciated.

No Events found!