Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2011 09:00

KBps throughput on FA port

On our DMX4 we have 2 Front End ports that are used for VMWare and SQL clusters (8c0 and 9c0).  In the evening Performance Manager shows that they run at about 200,000 KBs (200MBs).  Is this high?  Or can these ports really run at 4GBs for extended periods.

Thanks - Brad

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 10th, 2011 11:00

i say you are getting your money worth   ..how's FA utilization looking ?

1.3K Posts

March 10th, 2011 13:00

There is no reason the FAs cannot run at the maximum IO rate forever.  They won't melt :-)

However on DMX3/4, the maximum throughput for the CPU complex is about 300MB/sec. (two ports on a CPU)

207 Posts

March 10th, 2011 13:00

The concern I had was after looking at the FA port % utilization max in Performance Manager.  It shows 92% when we are running at about 200MBs.  With the 4GB ports I expected to see much lower utilization percentage.  We will be adding more hosts to those FA ports.  Should I expect to get 300MBs out of each port or something closer to 4GBs.  The 92% utilization seems to indicate that I'm almost at the end of my rope for these ports.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 10th, 2011 14:00

it's not just about the megabytes that you are moving but IOPs as well, you could have very little bandwidth utilization but thousand of IOPS that bring utilization very high. I have one Oracle DB that moves around 20MB/s but generates 3000 IOPS.

465 Posts

March 10th, 2011 20:00

Just to expand on the above point... Small IO's drive IO rate. That is, you can achieve the highest IO rates with small IO's. However throughput will be small in relation to the maximum possible (you run out of FA CPU processing before reaching channel bandwidth).

Large IO's are the inverse of small IO's... You can achieve maximum throughput, but the IO rate will not be huge (you run out of channel bandwidth before reaching maximum processor utilization).

No Events found!