Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2015 09:00

Lun expansion from Non-META to a META

Hello team,

VMAX 40K running 5876 code. I have a device of 128 GB thin device to be expanded to 512 GB, which is running SQL server.  Device is not any part of META. Have three pools 1) FC (RAID-5 3+1) 2) EFD (RAID-5 3+1) 3) SATA RAID 6(6+2) in total.  Device in question is part of FC (RAID-5 3+1). Standards are set in a way that does not allow use of concatenated meta at any stage due to performance issues had earlier. (SQL servers in prod envt)

1) If I create a new META in another Pool, does VLUN migration supports a " normal device to >> Meta" Migration ?

2) Device is part of a storage group which has got other many devices too. Would i be able to move data of only single device to a Larger device in another pool ?

3)At any moment do we need any down-time to perform VLUN migration from FC Pool to SATA pool ? Can anybody give some insight on VLUN migration ?

40 Posts

July 28th, 2015 09:00

VLUN migration only migrates extents from one pool to another.  The Clariions would be able to do as you suggested though.

You're only choice to expand the device on the array is to temporarily form a concatenated meta then immediately convert it to a striped meta using a BCV to protect the data.

An alternative would be to use Powerpath Migration Enabler to migrate the volume to a new larger meta.

Neither option requires an outage of any kind.

419 Posts

July 28th, 2015 13:00

You can convert the device to a meta and preserve the data.  The procedure is documented in KB 12573

https://support.emc.com/kb/12573

40 Posts

July 28th, 2015 15:00

That KB article pretty much says the same thing I said.  It would be nice for EMC to add this as a feature to prevent multiple steps from being necessary. Like form stripped meta and preserve data.  With my ADD, I will take tasks like this and start them only to turn around hours after they're complete to take the next step. Streamlining the process would be very helpful.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 29th, 2015 02:00

Thanks San_man and Paul..

76 Posts

July 29th, 2015 06:00

FYI, this is resolved with VMAX3 where we no longer use metas. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 29th, 2015 07:00

Well, we are really suffering from this feature in vmax3 . Every time we are assigning new disks and asking them to resume writing. It doesn't work always in a SQL server environment.

Did not understand how EMC developed the latest vmax with out one of the important feature.

122 Posts

July 29th, 2015 07:00

The performance of a single device is MUCH better on V3

76 Posts

July 29th, 2015 08:00

I'm not at liberty to discuss dates, but online device expansion in VMAX3 is a hot topic and is expected to be available in the very near future

28 Posts

July 29th, 2015 09:00

Subhash- If I understand your question correctly , you can create a  striped / concatenated meta on top of thin device with the following command"

symconfigure -sid -cmd "form meta from device ,config=striped/concatenated; add dev : to meta ;" preview -nop"

the meta members that you are going to add will be bound to the same pool as the meta head. You can do a VLUN migration from one pool to other pool when there is less I/O on that particular device.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2015 01:00

Thanks much snalluri..

Btw, in VLUN migration, can we move the data to a new larger LUN in another Pool ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2015 01:00

Glad to know that EMC is working to fix this. Will be more than happy if this feature gets implemented in upcoming releases.

28 Posts

July 30th, 2015 08:00

In VLUN migration , you are moving the entire lun from one POOL to another pool .

No Events found!