Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2014 01:00

MAX number of LUNS that can be mapped to a Single FA port on VMAX?

MAX number of LUNS that can be mapped to a Single  FA port on VMAX?

How many LUNS can be mapped to a Single  FA port on VMAX?

419 Posts

February 18th, 2014 23:00

Chris is 100% correct.  the number is across both FA ports as he has stated, and includes meta-members

symcfg -sid 4379 list -address -available -fa 5h -p 0

Symmetrix ID: 000xxxxxxxx (Local)

Director                 Device Name          Attr     Address
    ---------------------- ----------------------------- ---- --------------
    Ident   Symbolic  Port Sym   Physical                     VBUS  TID  LUN
    ------  --------  ---- ----  -----------------------      ----  ---  ---

FA-5H   05H       0    09C5  Not Visible             ACLX    0   00  000
                           -     AVAILABLE                       0   00  001 *
    Total                  ----
    Mapped Devices:           1
    Including Metamembers:    1
    Available Addresses:   4095 (s)

Legend:
  Flags:
      (A)CLX Enabled              : X = True, . = False
      (V)olume Set Addressing     : X = True, . = False
      (P)oint to Point            : X = True, . = False
      (F)COE Director             : X = True, . = False
      VNX (G)ateway Direct Attach : X = True, . = False

138 Posts

February 18th, 2014 08:00

On the DMX this depended on the FA Port Bits that were set.  If the -v bit was set you had something like 16 x 16 x 8 = 2048.  On the VMAX I'm not sure, but they still have default FA Port Bit settings....

Stuart

34 Posts

February 18th, 2014 10:00

I believe the limit is 4096 devices per FA processor so that takes both ports 0  and 1 into account.  

Meta members also count towards the total

22 Posts

February 19th, 2014 09:00

Hi Quincy,

You mean to say that we need to create a new  Mask view with new port group to allocate the new symdevices

34 Posts

You can just create a 2nd masking view for the host that contains a different port group and a new storage group populated with the devices you want to add. 

22 Posts

Thank you for your reply. Now that we have reached the maximum limit. How can I assign new LUNS to the HOST.

22 Posts

Thanks for your reply. You are correct VMAX uses default settings.

1.3K Posts

If the FA CPU has reached that limit, you would have to use another FA, or reduce the device count.  Maybe use smaller number of larger devices?

22 Posts

Thanks for your reply. You are correct. only 4096 can be mapped to single FA processor including the meta members.

Now that we have reached the maximum limit on FA director.  How can I assign the new symmetrix devices to the Host for which Port group has reached its max limit.

22 Posts

February 19th, 2014 10:00

Hi Chris,

That was my initial plan to create a second masking view.

By creating a new masking view. Will there be any impact on Host end?   I've two HBA's zoned to four FA ports which are in the same group.  Now in order to create new Masking view  I'll be zoning the existing two HBA's with Four new FA ports from different port group.

My questtion : If I assign the LUNS through different maskview the new LUNS may end up having the same HLUN ID which the existing devices already have. Will that be any issue on Host end or Powerpath.

34 Posts

February 19th, 2014 10:00

What OS is it?  Windows will work fine, just rescan.

The host lun id may be the same i.e Lun1, Lun2 etc but it will be on a different target (FA port), we had the same issue a few days ago with a windows host and followed this workaround.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 19th, 2014 13:00

i have seen instances where Redhat would not discover new targets on the fly, had to reboot the host.

22 Posts

February 19th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for sharing the information.

We have LINUX host here.

22 Posts

February 19th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the information. We will do a reboot here, that should not be a problem.

So we can create a new Maskview with new Port Group and assign the new devices through it. My only concern was same LUN ID's if I assign it from different Maskveiws.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 19th, 2014 14:00

zoning, masking view. Don't worry about the same LUN IDs, like it was mentioned above, they will have new target ID's so PowerPath will figure it out.

No Events found!