Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 14th, 2010 11:00

Migration from HP to V-Max

Hello everyone,

can anybody provide me the information on how to migrate from HP storage to V-Max storage.

Thanks

Bharath

337 Posts

April 15th, 2010 08:00

EMC Open Replicator for Symmetrix creates remote point-in-time copies. You may verify the compatibility before starting the migration.

29 Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

Can you please upload any migration steps document from non EMC to EMC storage array using open replicator.

Regards

Bharath

546 Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

Hi - you should look on Powerlink for this sort of documentation. I posted how to get a Powerlink Lite account over in this thread.

You have access to many of the support forums with the Powerlink Lite account as well.

This sort of documentation really should not be posted in the community. Thanks, -Gina

2 Posts

April 20th, 2010 18:00

Barath, Can you tell me about the Operatings System involved? This is a good Point to Start.  Regards Gus Romero

29 Posts

April 20th, 2010 21:00

What has operating System to do when the migration is between storage arrays.?

Lets consider windows .

47 Posts

April 21st, 2010 06:00

I would also say that the OS is not the most important step in this, although your mileage may vary when considering mainframes or even the various open systems. A host based solution like Double-Take could for example be of use, but this only supports Windows and Linux systems.

But for me there is a much more important question. Is this something you want to do online or do you have the option of doing this offline? If you can perform this thing offline, is there a limit to the downtime? How long do you want to use the arrays in parallel? Do you even have the option to install an appliance for just this task, or have you thought about an array virtualization controller?

If you can give us a bit more background info, I'm sure we can give you some guidance on what you could do with the available EMC technology, or perhaps give you some pointers on alternatives that may also work.

546 Posts

April 21st, 2010 07:00

Hi guys, I'm going to move this thread over to the Support Forums. -Gina

14 Posts

April 21st, 2010 10:00

Generally you can implement these steps:

1. Create new LUNs on V-MAX identical to LUNs on HP

2. Create a copy of LUNs from HP to V-Max by Open Replicator

3. Plan downtime.

During downtime:

4. Stop the application.

5. Export and/or unmount all related filesystems.

6. Delete/Pause Open Replicator session

7. Remove zones from SAN to HP add zones to V-MAX

8. Maks devices from V-MAX to the host

9. Discover new LUNs by host

10. Import and/or mount all filesystem in needed order

11. Start application.

You can use PowerPath Migration Enabler to avoid downtime. In this option you can create LUNs on V-MAX, assign it to the host, start Open Replicator session with control by PowerPath migration Enabler and the transparently move data from "old" LUNs to new ones.

Many information you can find at powerlink.emc.com > Products > Software E-O > Open Replicator for Symmetrix

666 Posts

April 22nd, 2010 00:00

Hello,

We have moved this thread to the Customer Support Forums area to better facilitate your question.

Kind regards,

Mark Browne

Suppport Forums Community Manager

No Events found!