8 Krypton

New vMax install question - Drive formatting

Jump to solution

I'm installing a new vMax with 950 drives. The bin file was loaded by noon today and it running the format on the drives. How can I tell where it's at in the formatting?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Re: New vMax install question - Drive formatting

Jump to solution

Hi HankD,

If the bin file load is complete you need not wait to use the system as the VTOC will continue in the background. If you need to write to a volume before the VTOC has completed then the system will VTOC the tracks you require before completing a write.

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

VTOC for so many drives will take a while, you will see the drives will stop flashing when it's done. I think at that point CE still needs to do some other work before he turns it over to you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi HankD,

If the bin file load is complete you need not wait to use the system as the VTOC will continue in the background. If you need to write to a volume before the VTOC has completed then the system will VTOC the tracks you require before completing a write.

Steve

0 Kudos
M39
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi Hank D,

VTOC happens in sequence of DRIVE GROUPS created in BIN FILE... Mirror SYMVOLS will be completed very fast but RAID-5 will take longer time…

You can see most of DRIVES LEDS blinking till last. These DRIVES are generally part of RAID-5 DRIVE GROUPS.

Relax & Wait for KEY TO SUCCESS 😄

Thanks & Regards,

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Last time I had a VMAX this size (mine was 800 drives) with almost everything RAID5 it took about 60 hrs to complete VTOC.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

It wasn't too bad, the fiber dives took about 18 hours but the SATA took  3 days.

0 Kudos