Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2010 04:00

Old SRDF Migration not cleaned up

I am working on an array that was migrated to using SRDF.

When the migration was finished the old rdfg group was not cleaned up.

The deletepairs where not finished and the devices on the new Symm still have an RDF2 attribute.

The company used these devices for a server and now want to re-use them.

There are serveral meta devices involved and I now want to dissolve the meta's and re-use.

However - I am getting an error because the devices are still in an rdfg group (4).

I have tried to do a delete pair using -force and symforce - both fail with the error can not communicate to remote RA.

The reason for that is because the remote array was taken off the floor about two years ago. ( All this well before I arrived here )

Does anyone know how to cleanup the old SRDF configuration when one of the Symm's has been removed?

Since the orginal Symm is gone the state of the migration -rdfg groups are Partitioned.

This status makes sense since it can no longer talk to the old symm - but I still need to cleanup this mess.

Any ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 30th, 2010 04:00

are these devices configured as dynamic rdf or static ? If static you will need to get your CE involved to remove the flag, if it's dynamic there is an option "-half_deletepair" that should allow you to remove rdf flag.

2.1K Posts

March 30th, 2010 12:00

You take all the fun out of it Dynamox... Couldn't you at least pretend for a while that he needs to get the old array back and powered up with connectivity to the new array so he can clean this up? *lol*

Sorry, I know we can't so that, and it loses the best part of the effect when you can't do it face to face any way!

Oddly enough I remember in my SRDF course someone rather rudely questioning why you would ever need something as "ridiculous" as a delete half pair command. It was rather amusing to watch the light finally come on in his head while the instructor described a situation very much like this one. The instructor ended the explanation with a line something to the effect of: "Sometimes you just don't have a real pair to work with!" At that point most of the class nearly lost it trying to choke back the laughter while this one poor guy just looked confused.

So, now that I'm done hijacking the thread (it's almost time to go home here)....

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 30th, 2010 13:00

muahahahah ...that is hilarious, thanks for sharing Allen 

March 23rd, 2012 08:00

I am also a lucky admin to use half_deletepair option. Thanks to share this important scenario.

No Events found!