Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 19th, 2012 08:00

Open Replicator or PPME for windows 2003 clusters

Hi,

I have to migrate 5 separate clusters that are running windows 2003 sp2. The clusters all contain multiple nodes > 2. I spoke to our windows team and they told me that not be able to migrate the quorum drive is a big problem. I know that PPME does not allow for quorum migration. I migrated a test two cluster node last year using OR. I believe OR allows quorum drive migration. It's been a year since I did the migration, and I cannot find any documentation validating the quorum drive migration and OR. Since all the clusters are production, I have to be very careful.

Is this true about OR and the quorum drive?

Any recommendations or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Admingirl

34 Posts

October 20th, 2012 07:00

I've done this on 2003 with both OR and SRDF with no issues. 

It's a few years since i did it via OR but i think we just shut down the cluster, cloned everthing including the quorum to be on the safe side, then cold pulled everthing over.  These nodes were also san boot.

As far as i remember all nodes also hold a copy of the quorum info and it will be rebuilt should anything nasty occur.

859 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 03:00

Not sure if migrating quorum would be a problem after all it appears as just a disk for Open Replicator. I am assuming that you are aware that migrating cluster using OR requires a downtime (cluster needs to be shut down before OR create session). Even if you can not get the quorum migrated, /FIXQUORUM switch can rebuild the qorum.

regards.
Saurabh

614 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 06:00

Thank you! I am aware of downtime with OR. That'ss why we considered PPME. Our windows people don't mind the downtime if the quorum is ok.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 12:00

Hi,

I  use PPME for migrate Quorum Disk in windows 2003 Cluster.. I Didnt get Any problem...

Thanks

kal

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 25th, 2012 05:00

For win2k3 cluster no downtime is needed with PPME, with win2k8 cluster you do need downtime to commit PPME session.

October 26th, 2012 07:00

If you are using your quorum disk for some other purpose also, in such cases, you can either use Cluster Admin GUI to migrate the Quorum to another disk and later use PPME to migrate the remaining disk that contains other data now other than Quorum data.

If Quorum disk contains only the Quorum data, it is recommended to use Cluster Admin GUI following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280353. Its not the question about the possibility of moving the Quorum disk using PPME. As people have tested, you can move it without issues, however the problem comes, when in 1 out of 100 cases there is issue in migration of Quorum data and Cluster comes down, and Microsoft does not support that.

Hence the support boundary is that PPME does not support migration of Quorum disk.

• Please mark this reply 'answered', if this answers your query.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2012 07:00

I agree with dynamox..  In win2k8 cluster bring the failover groups offline ( stop the application) before commit and bring back failover groups online (start the application).

No Events found!